Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:57:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGot questions about crowdfunding? Ask me here.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Got questions about crowdfunding? Ask me here.  (Read 2636 times)
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »

Hey TIGS.

I'm seeing a ton of threads about crowd funding...and to no surprise as it's the go-to for small indies right now. I figured instead of having these questions all over the place, we could put them all in here and I'll try my best to respond to as many as I can.

I have some experience in the subject given that I'm a marketing consultant who has successfully marketed four crowdfunding projects, as well as provided consulting for a number of other larger campaigns. I've also spoken at GDC on the panel "Crowdfunding: how to make it as an unknown"

I've also recently written an article for the game developer career guide. It's called "Crowdfunding: a primer."

http://dc.ubm-us.com/i/360245/109

So post your crowdfunding questions/concerns here

Also if you'd like me to look over your campaign briefly and this thread isn't enough, go ahead and add me on [Skype: Devmicco] or message me directly here. I'll try my best to get to as many as possible in my spare time.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:20:56 PM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

bitSmithGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »

Hey Pandara - great idea for a thread.

We are in the middle of our campaign at the moment, and while I think we have done OK so far, there's definitely more we could be doing.

Seeing as none of us have any Marketing experience beyond releasing our previous game, it's quite hard to know what we should be doing beyond badgering people on facebook & twitter.

Over the last few days we've been discussing (read - arguing Tongue) over what we could be doing to make our page more appealing. Personally I feel that the page has become a bit cluttered now because we keep second guessing ourselves over which information is more important and keep moving stuff around not generally just not managing it very well.

It would be great if you could cast your expert eye over the campaign and give us a few pointers: http://kck.st/1pBZVAM

Thanks,
Ralph
bitSmith Games
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »

Over the last few days we've been discussing (read - arguing Tongue) over what we could be doing to make our page more appealing.

Your page is fine, don't bother touching it, its a poor use of resources.

It would be great if you could cast your expert eye over the campaign and give us a few pointers: http://kck.st/1pBZVAM

My expert eye looking at your data shows a clear lack of press releases or press conversions. The problem isn't that you aren't converting enough watchers into backers...its that you have no one looking at the page.

These structures below are what I'm looking for in your graphs. They should be spaced out and one or two of them by now.

On the other hand here is your data.

Notice how there aren't any peaks throughout the days...this is a hint to me that there isn't press coverage.

So the gist of it is that you don't have enough people looking at the page...though I'd need to know more about your press strategy to give advice on how to move forward, go ahead and add me on skype above and I'll talk to you about it sometime today while I have some spare time.  

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:47:06 AM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

bitSmithGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:57:17 AM »

Awesome, thanks.

We have one or two press coverages in the works, unfortunately e3 got in the way of the last two weeks or so. We did have some coverage at the start on eurogamer, rps, and one or two others, but they didnt convert to that many pledges.

I would love to have a chat early next week if you have a spare minute or two, Ill add you to skype now.

Thanks!
Ralph
bitSmithGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:01:48 PM »

Or else if you're free now? Im in Ireland, so its 9pm now added you there, if you get a chance ping me on skype and see if im free. Thanks
ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:02 PM »

Hi, I saw your panel at GDC, great stuff.

We're launching our KS (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1107526107/1890403082?token=3c4719aa) in a couple of weeks, and we're pretty nervous about it.

How long a lead in do you recommend? Should we start contacting press the week before launch?  Two weeks before?

Any and all advice/feedback appreciated!

knyghtro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:38:49 AM »

I'm based in India, and I'm looking at using indiegogo for setting up a crowdfunding campaign (I'd maybe have used kickstarter, but it's not possible to set up from India, unless of course we work some 'magic').

It's for my latest game: Rewind (http://digikhel.com/games/rewind)

What I seem to be having a problem with is getting a hold of the money. Apparently, the money might suffer a double tax - once in the US while moving to India, and once again in India as income.

Is there an easier way to ensure that backers money doesn't get taxed unnecessarily? And, even if we get across that hurdle, if the money is anywhere about $10K, Paypal will not be able to remit it into an Indian account - the max limit is $10K per transaction.

Would you know what international campaign seekers need to do?
AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 05:55:38 AM »

I've got a question about rewards. Well, one type of reward specifically.

What do you think about KS campaigns that offer someone the opportunity to help with the design of the game (Design a Boss, enemy, item, etc)? I want to offer something similar to that in my campaign, but I also know that sometimes gamers are not the best designers, so how do you handle it? My thought would be to ask the player a general idea of what he wants and then try to polish his idea and make it into something fun, but I'm worried that they would be stubborn and be like "No, I paid X amount of money for this tier, this is how I want the Boss to be".

Don't know if you have experience with that, just curious Smiley I have a few more questions, but I will ask later Smiley

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 02:50:03 AM »

I don't know what kinda game you're planning, but an alternative could be 'An NPC based on you', or an enemy 'Based on you'. Or even being in the game as a 'background decor'. You know, like as a statue, or a painting, or poster on a wall in a city. Or the backer's name on walls as a graffiti/tag.

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:26:16 AM »

What do you think about KS campaigns that offer someone the opportunity to help with the design of the game (Design a Boss, enemy, item, etc)?
I have observed the numbers in various campaigns and anything "creative" is totally, completelly, absolutely useless. Players do not want to create, they want to play (at least those who donate it seems).
(just look around and check how many players bought that reward tier)

But if there is an NPC *named* after you it's a different story, it's fame and ego and vanity and it works Smiley

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 07:03:10 AM »

besides, would you *really* want some random guy designing a part of your game? i wouldn't. if people want to buy my games great, if people want to design my games they could make their own. naming npc's after someone is fine, but when it comes to 'design part of the gameplay for $500' i think that's very questionable, it may *cost* you far more than 500 if the design element is bad

league of legends actually learned that the hard way. they had a contest that said if you invite 50,000 people to the game they will let you design an item. someone actually did it, and the item was really overpowered and game-breaking, and they had to nerf it repeatedly until it was balanced (athene's unholy grail, named after athenewins from youtube)

Giovanni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »

Just the topic I was looking for. Small list:

1) Are demos necessary? I've noticed the like of Shovel Knight, A Hat in Time, and Grave really jump to it, but others like Hyper Light Drifter, Ghost Song, and Omori didn't.

2) Using those listed above, how screwed am I without knowing a ton of popular people like Disasterpiece/WayForward/Omocat's fanbase?

3) Do I gotta let people design stuff in the game as a backer tier? My game would be worse if I did, so I'm not gonna. I'm moreso worried about the impact that has on funding.

4) When is a good time to unload all of my Stretch Goals?
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »

What do you think about KS campaigns that offer someone the opportunity to help with the design of the game (Design a Boss, enemy, item, etc)?
I have observed the numbers in various campaigns and anything "creative" is totally, completelly, absolutely useless. Players do not want to create, they want to play (at least those who donate it seems).
(just look around and check how many players bought that reward tier)

But if there is an NPC *named* after you it's a different story, it's fame and ego and vanity and it works Smiley

Eh, I think the rewards do have value, and they defiantly aren't worthless. Just temper them down, keep the game design your own. Rewards should like an honest thank you and have a bit of sentimental value.

Reality is that most people want to support you not for the reward but to help the campaign...(seriously!) So dont hurt the game design, keep it sentimental and honest.

Just the topic I was looking for. Small list:

1) Are demos necessary? I've noticed the like of Shovel Knight, A Hat in Time, and Grave really jump to it, but others like Hyper Light Drifter, Ghost Song, and Omori didn't.

Demos are absolutely not necessary. I actually am in the camp of thinking that demos are actually extremely dangerous! They absorb tons of resources to polish and once people play it they feel like they "know" what the game is. If you are going to do a demo release it on week 3-4 instead. Don't rob yourself of your reveals by spoiling them all right away in a demo.

2) Using those listed above, how screwed am I without knowing a ton of popular people like Disasterpiece/WayForward/Omocat's fanbase?

Doesn't really matter as long as you have exposure, most people I work with have no following at all. Cool people know what cool stuff looks like. Polish your release and it'll attract people from all over if it's displayed all over.

3) Do I gotta let people design stuff in the game as a backer tier? My game would be worse if I did, so I'm not gonna. I'm moreso worried about the impact that has on funding.

No, god no. A lot of people think it's really cool that you dont. Just come forward and make a statement explaining why. example..."This game has been my passion for years. I've seen kickstarter games get bloated with backer reward content and I really think you guys deserve better."

4) When is a good time to unload all of my Stretch Goals?
Right before you hit your first goal, give away what one or two of your goals are. You'll come off as not being ridiculous about the goals, and build a lot of excitement and maybe even a press release out of it!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:08:19 PM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

Giovanni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 08:51:58 PM »

~Good stuff here~

Awesome possums, that's a lot of good advice!

One of the biggest questions I, and I believe a ton of others, have is in regards to the almighty taxlords. From what I've gathered, Kickstarter income is basically self-employed income which is taxed heavier than a pack-mule in the US. Any good advice on how exactly to calculate the percentage of KS money that's going to be forcibly removed? If I knew the exact amount, it'd be easier to calculate various goals, plus I might cry a little bit less when it happens.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »

~Good stuff here~

Awesome possums, that's a lot of good advice!

One of the biggest questions I, and I believe a ton of others, have is in regards to the almighty taxlords. From what I've gathered, Kickstarter income is basically self-employed income which is taxed heavier than a pack-mule in the US. Any good advice on how exactly to calculate the percentage of KS money that's going to be forcibly removed? If I knew the exact amount, it'd be easier to calculate various goals, plus I might cry a little bit less when it happens.

I'm not a CPA, and you shouldn't take anything I say as advice regarding taxes or as a way to avoid being taxed. In most cases as stated on the kickstarter blog it will be considered personal income, though you might be using the money for business purposes, and as such you should ask your CPA or tax professional about the options you have.

I suggest in the mean time planning for a minimum of 20-30% of your funds from the campaign in the USA, so when tax day comes the difference between that and what you actually owe isn't a massive leap.

Also since we are talking about money sinks, account for between 1-3% of all funding to be a no-show at the end.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:58:36 PM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 01:28:43 AM »

Please have a look at our campaign which launched recently.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/660810230/fire-with-fire-online-tower-attack-and-defense-0

We are actually doing really well as far as converting backers. But our page isn't getting much traffic. I am certain that almost every tower defense fan will be interested in our project. So I've been reaching out to the press emphasizing different features our game brings to the genre but we're not getting much of a response.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:40 PM »

Our campaign is live at the moment too, and after a great first 3 days, very quiet.  Are you interested in cross promoting at all?  I really like the look of your game.

Our campaign is here http://kck.st/1mcxbrV if you want to scope it out.

RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 06:43:51 AM »

Our campaign is live at the moment too, and after a great first 3 days, very quiet.  Are you interested in cross promoting at all?  I really like the look of your game.

Our campaign is here http://kck.st/1mcxbrV if you want to scope it out.

Sure! I'll include a mention in the next update!

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »

Thanks, we'll do the same Smiley

ColeyWoley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »

Help!  Need new ideas for tiers!  Wow, that totally rhymes...  Anyway, all our high cost tiers have sold out, (which is great), and people are saying you need to add more tiers.  But what?  Is it okay not to?

http://kck.st/1mcxbrV

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic