Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:22:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNinja Outbreak [Greenlit!]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ninja Outbreak [Greenlit!]  (Read 10686 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:38:12 PM »

Now Available on Itch.io: http://malec2b.itch.io/ninja-outbreak
And on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/453880/

Now on Steam Greenlight:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=355603149

Demo now available:  http://malec2b.itch.io/ninja-outbreak-demo

Trailer:

The Demo contains the first area.  Also note it's still an early build, so it might be a little rough around the edges.

Ninja Outbreak is a small survival horror game I decided to start working on.  I wanted to make a game designed around limited ammo and resources.

The game takes place on a Soviet Science Station on Venus (for those of you familiar with my previous games, this takes place in the same setting as Venusian Vengeance), where they were working on a number of secret weapons, including a super-soldier serum.  However, the test-subjects became heartless killing machines.  In addition, they were able to spread their condition to the other people in the station, leading to a full-blown Ninja Outbreak.  You play as a scientist in one of the locked-down sections of the base.  The lab manager is dead, food is running short, and to make it worse, it looks like one of the Ninjas has made it into your section.  The only way out means overriding the lockdown and venturing into the rest of the station which has been overrun by the Ninja hoard.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:20:24 AM by Alec S. » Logged

travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:34:43 PM »

Seems and looks interesting. Can we get a GIF?
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:37 PM »

Worked on planning the overall layout and flow between areas of the game, and blocking out the second area of the game.  Putting a large focus on giving the players limited resources that they have to find within the level, but making them sneak or fight their way past more enemies in order to get them.  In addition to ammo and health items, there will be optional key cards which will let them create shortcuts in the level and bypass certain areas, or access optional areas with additional resources.  I want a strong risk/reward dynamic going on in the level design.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »

This looks neat. Inspires me to make a bunch more smaller games  Coffee

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 06:45:11 PM »

Thanks!   Beer!  Yeah, small projects help keep me sane during long-term projects.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »

Screenshot Saturday:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 10:09:33 AM »

Did an update of the tileset: 

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

Sliding Doors

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »

Screenshot Saturday: 

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »

Looks great, definitely following this!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 12:12:32 PM »

Demo now available:  http://malec2b.itch.io/ninja-outbreak-demo

The Demo contains the first area.  Also note it's still an early build, so it might be a little rough around the edges.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »

Screenshot Saturday

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:01 AM »

Happy Halloween everybody!  Here's a trailer:

Hand Knife Right Ninja

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 01:49:10 PM »

On the Level Design

I thought I'd talk about the level design and overall structure of this game, as I think that's one of the main draws.  Not that this will constitute a certain level of gameplay spoilers, so if you want to have a clean experience once the game is released, stop reading now.

As I've mentioned before, the game has a focus on limited resources.  There are two elements that limited resources bring to the table: forcing the player to conserve resources, and forcing the player to find resources.  Both of these elements bring a lot to the survival horror genre, in that the former creates an incentive for caution and an overall feeling of desperation, and the later creates a situation where the player not just walks into dangerous situations, but chooses to walk into dangerous situations, and stay in those situations longer than otherwise necessary.

With that in mind, there are a few sorts of resources in the game.  Ammo is the most obvious one.  As you may have noticed in the demo, there are three colors of key cards.  After the first area, where all three color key doors require the player to open them, only the purple keys will be necessary for progression.  Green keys will unlock storage rooms which will provide you with more items, and red keys will open shortcuts.  There will also be exactly one extra purple key, which the player can obtain fairly early on, which means if they get it, they'll be able to choose one area later in the game to essentially bypass. 

There are a couple more major items which the player can find which I don't want to go into right now.  However, the player would be advised to collect as many of them as they dare before entering the final area which leads to the boss, which the player can do at any point after going through about 3 areas.  However, there's no checkpoint and no turning back in the difficult final area. (However, shorcucts will be available through the final area if the player has collected the requisite items).  Once again, I want the player to choose to explore the level more thoroughly and try to prepare themselves as well as they can.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »

Screenshot Saturday:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 10:30:42 AM »

Alec S.