Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:21:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioMistress Increpare's Music Challenge [Briefs Out]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Mistress Increpare's Music Challenge [Briefs Out]  (Read 34750 times)
increpare
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:05:29 AM »

Post a piece of music you have done in the past. I will allow one week for this; it shouldn't take any time, after all. 

Then I will draw up a personalized brief for each of you, concentrating on weaknesses that I perceive in your works, skills in which I think you are lacking.  You will have a fortnight to submit a finished work.

Closing date for submission of a single past work: Monday the 12th.

Entrants who have not submitted by Sunday the 24th will find their asses on the kicking-end of my heels.

Okay, ladies and gentlemen, we are on phase two.  Here are your briefs.

agj, please write a piece of music in rondo form.  None of the sections should be longer than 20 seconds in length, and the whole piece should not exceed three minutes in duration.

Atuun, please make a whipping song, of duration no less than two minutes, scored for (possibly synth) choir and whip.  Other sounds can feature, but these must be prominent.

battlerager, please write a piece of music for solo (monophonic) synthesizer.  It must be no shorter than four minutes and thirty seconds.

C418, you are to write a piece of music, of duration no less than two minutes and forty seconds.  It must feature at least three tuned instruments, and no instruments should play notes below C5 (the octave above middle C).

Core Xii, write a piece of music, of length no less than two minutes and thirty seconds.  It must be written for bass line, drums, and two lead synthesizers.  No instrument may repeat something it has already played in a previous bar verbatim. Your piece of music must also contain a sample of you saying "I would like to apologize to my mistress for my snarky use of quotation marks".

Dock, you are to write a piece, of during no shorter than one minute and thirty seconds, consisting of eleven instrumental lines (for eleven different instruments), with no instrument dropping out for an extended period of time, and all having entered within the first ten seconds.

Draco9898, you are to write a chiptune-genre piece of length no shorter than two minutes that features no major chords

Hideous, please write a piece of music for five tuned instruments.  Each instrument may play only a single note.  They may repeat this note.  The piece of music must be no shorter than three minutes in duration.

Kekskiller, you are to write a piece, of duration no less than one minute and thirty seconds, for three non-percussion lines, in a chiptune style.

Kobel, you are to write a piece of music for untuned percussion instruments only, of length no less than three minutes.

MedO, please write a piece of chiptune-genre music based upon the Rhythm Changes.

Michael, a piece of music, of duration no shorter than one minute and thirty seconds, consisting of solo, unedited, singing (a capella, if you will).

Mirosurabu, your brief is to write a piece of music of duration no shorter than two minutes, which must consist entirely of acoustic samples, with no filters or effects applied.

Mjau, please write a piece of music for no less than four instruments, lasting between two and three minutes.  Each instrumental line must be in a different time signature, and the time signatures must not be divisors of eachother.

Muku, please write a piece with five pitched parts using strict serial technique for both the pitches and the rhythms.  You may give each part its own series, if you wish.  The piece must be no shorter than three minutes.  I suggest that you plan this from the top down, and think in terms of pitch, loudness, instrument timbre, and roughness, rather than harmony, line or progression.

Smn, please write a piece of duration at least two minutes, consisting of pure sine tones.

Synnah, please write a piece of length no shorter than two minutes and thirty seconds.  The piece is to be of electronica genre (no acoustic instruments), styled on the mazurkas of Chopin.

Terry, please prepare an ambient piece of length no shorter than twelve minutes.  Do not have it based upon a repeated chord progression.

ThetaGames, please write a piece of music of duration at least one minute and thirty seconds, consisting entirely of glissandi (slide-notes); once a note is sounded, it must not stop for the rest of the song, it must not jump to another note, it can only slide.

Toastie, you are to write a piece of music of duration no less than one minute, featuring a minimum of three different instruments/lines, and no instrument is to play the same note twice (you can repeat something an octave up if you want, and different instruments can play the same notes).

TwiTerror, please write a duet, of length no shorter than one minute and forty seconds, for bagpipe and noise.

Mr. Yes, you are to write a piece of duration no longer than one minute and thirty seconds, with a 5/4 time, which changes speed each bar.  No two bars may be the same speed.  You must submit your entry in an especially low-quality mp3 format (32kbp/sec stereo total bitrate), and it should be written with this requirement in mind.

----

Unless specified otherwise, 'instrument' could be a synthesizer, or a real instrument, or a sampled instrument.

----

Please post your entries on this thread by Sunday the 24th of this month.

----

If there be any questions or desire for clarification, now is a good time to ask them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:12:53 AM by increpare » Logged
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »

Uh oh. This is going to hurt - and probably a lot.  TigerHand Knife Right

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »

Haha, I quite like the concept Well, hello there! Corny Laugh

Well, you already know my "before" piece: http://www.box.net/shared/65cyu5brug. I subserviently await my orders.
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »

Welcome to die
http://trevordunbar.com/Music/Title_Screen.mp3

Heaven or Hell-
Round 1-
Let's Rock!

Toucantastic.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »

here's a song ive been working on that i think has more potential to grow  Undecided

i dont know why its titled duckfields

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »

Okay, going for it. Made this a while ago:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzwhybktnxo

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »

Something from the past?

Ok, here's a piece I made for pathways: it's supposed to be all moody and gloomy. Smiley

mirosurabu
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 11:54:28 AM »

Sendspace mirror:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u9ry3g

Acidplanet: (Windows Media Player required)
http://www.acidplanet.com/components/embedfile.asp?asset=1172992&T=4325

Okay, going for it. Made this a while ago:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zzwhybktnxo

Link doesn't work. It works now.

here's a song ive been working on that i think has more potential to grow  Undecided

I like that pad.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:31:13 PM by mirosurabu » Logged
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »

It's been working fine 'till now. I'll re-upload somewhere else later, can't be bothered right now.

increpare
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »

Mirosurabu, your brief is shaping up to be 'upload a piece of music somewhere that mac users can access it without rebooting into windows or registering on a forum' Lips Sealed

Mr. Yes, I was able to download your file fine.
Kekskiller
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »

fortress.mp3

it's so ouch.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »

http://www.ivansafrin.com/crap4/axion2.mp3

This was one of the first (and only) things I've written. It kind of just goes on with no bridges or breaks.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »

Tread on my neck! I'm totally up for this!

I'll choose a suitable candidate soon.

twitter: @docky
mirosurabu
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »

Mirosurabu, your brief is shaping up to be 'upload a piece of music somewhere that mac users can access it without rebooting into windows or registering on a forum' Lips Sealed

Mr. Yes, I was able to download your file fine.

Ah, okay, okay. I've edited my previous post.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »

Say, does this contain traces of the Amen break? Giggle
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »

Well, increpare, you should already know that I suck at everything music related, but let's grab something from Tree that I did by myself...

Today

The results of this should be great.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »

We Sing Savage

Hand Thumbs Up Left  Concerned Hand Thumbs Down Right

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »

Weird "challenge". But ok, here's mine: Machinary.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 01:02:01 AM »

Okay here's mine:  musictest02.mp3

twitter: @docky
increpare
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 03:25:56 PM »

Okay, ladies and gentlemen, we are on phase two.  Here are your briefs.

agj, please write a piece of music in rondo form.  None of the sections should be longer than 20 seconds in length, and the whole piece should not exceed three minutes in duration.

Atuun, please make a whipping song, of duration no less than two minutes, scored for (possibly synth) choir and whip.  Other sounds can feature, but these must be prominent.

battlerager, please write a piece of music for solo (monophonic) synthesizer.  It must be no shorter than four minutes and thirty seconds.

C418, you are to write a piece of music, of duration no less than two minutes and forty seconds.  It must feature at least three tuned instruments, and no instruments should play notes below C5 (the octave above middle C).

Core Xii, write a piece of music, of length no less than two minutes and thirty seconds.  It must be written for bass line, drums, and two lead synthesizers.  No instrument may repeat something it has already played in a previous bar verbatim. Your piece of music must also contain a sample of you saying "I would like to apologize to my mistress for my snarky use of quotation marks".

Dock, you are to write a piece, of during no shorter than one minute and thirty seconds, consisting of eleven instrumental lines (for eleven different instruments), with no instrument dropping out for an extended period of time, and all having entered within the first ten seconds.

Draco9898, you are to write a chiptune-genre piece of length no shorter than two minutes that features no major chords

Hideous, please write a piece of music for five tuned instruments.  Each instrument may play only a single note.  They may repeat this note.  The piece of music must be no shorter than three minutes in duration.

Kekskiller, you are to write a piece, of duration no less than one minute and thirty seconds, for three non-percussion lines, in a chiptune style.

Kobel, you are to write a piece of music for untuned percussion instruments only, of length no less than three minutes.

MedO, please write a piece of chiptune-genre music based upon the Rhythm Changes.

Michael, a piece of music, of duration no shorter than one minute and thirty seconds, consisting of solo, unedited, singing (a capella, if you will).

Mirosurabu, your brief is to write a piece of music of duration no shorter than two minutes, which must consist entirely of acoustic samples, with no filters or effects applied.

Mjau, please write a piece of music for no less than four instruments, lasting between two and three minutes.  Each instrumental line must be in a different time signature, and the time signatures must not be divisors of eachother.

Muku, please write a piece with five pitched parts using strict serial technique for both the pitches and the rhythms.  You may give each part its own series, if you wish.  The piece must be no shorter than three minutes.  I suggest that you plan this from the top down, and think in terms of pitch, loudness, instrument timbre, and roughness, rather than harmony, line or progression.

Smn, please write a piece of duration at least two minutes, consisting of pure sine tones.

Synnah, please write a piece of length no shorter than two minutes and thirty seconds.  The piece is to be of electronica genre (no acoustic instruments), styled on the mazurkas of Chopin.

Terry, please prepare an ambient piece of length no shorter than twelve minutes.  Do not have it based upon a repeated chord progression.

ThetaGames, please write a piece of music of duration at least one minute and thirty seconds, consisting entirely of glissandi (slide-notes); once a note is sounded, it must not stop for the rest of the song, it must not jump to another note, it can only slide.

Toastie, you are to write a piece of music of duration no less than one minute, featuring a minimum of three different instruments/lines, and no instrument is to play the same note twice (you can repeat something an octave up if you want, and different instruments can play the same notes).

TwiTerror, please write a duet, of length no shorter than one minute and forty seconds, for bagpipe and noise.

Mr. Yes, you are to write a piece of duration no longer than one minute and thirty seconds, with a 5/4 time, which changes speed each bar.  No two bars may be the same speed.  You must submit your entry in an especially low-quality mp3 format (32kbp/sec stereo total bitrate), and it should be written with this requirement in mind.

----

Unless specified otherwise, 'instrument' could be a synthesizer, or a real instrument, or a sampled instrument.

----

Please post your entries on this thread by Sunday the 24th of this month.

----

If there be any questions or desire for clarification, now is a good time to ask them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:13:19 AM by increpare » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic