Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:41:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallPONCHO - We have robots with hats!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: PONCHO - We have robots with hats!  (Read 4389 times)
Danny Hayes
Level 1

An Indie developer, co-Creator of PONCHO!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »

Hi Everyone! I'd like to tell you all about this game I've been making called Poncho.

It's a game where you shift through parallax layers in order to solve puzzles and explore the environment. We have a teaser trailer up, and I'd really appreciate some feedback on the impression it gives and opinions on the art style!

We've been making this thing for over two years now. It's been a long time, and now we finally feel ready to show the world a little piece of it. Smiley

Let me know what you guys think of it!

Peace,

- Danny -

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:57:04 PM by DanHayesGamer » Logged

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »

Announcement! I can now confirm that Poncho will be showing at the Eurogamer Expo/EGX this year in the form of a playable demo! I am ecstatic and incredibly nervous at the same time...

Anyway, for those of you who are in the UK this September, come try our game!  Smiley

Chip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »

This looks beutiful. All the visuals and animations are pretty nice and also that 3D effect is gorgeous!
Really nice work, I'd love to play this game.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:14:19 PM »

Well it does look fantastic, that is clear!

In the your first post's screenshot I see there is an indicator for which parallax level you are on. Did you find that without the indicator players would get confused? Since you only have the one UI element was there hesitation adding the level indicator?

You mention exploration and puzzles, would that mean there is no combat? I have fond memories of the early Wario Lang games which had no health bars and any combat played into the puzzles. Is there a chance of seeing something similar in Poncho?

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! It really gives me those tiny specks of confidence that keeps me going.  Coffee

Since you only have the one UI element was there hesitation adding the level indicator?

You mention exploration and puzzles, would that mean there is no combat? I have fond memories of the early Wario Lang games which had no health bars and any combat played into the puzzles. Is there a chance of seeing something similar in Poncho?

Yeah, the UI you saw there is something that indicates what layer you're on. While the video doesn't show gameplay, you explore the world by switching between parallax layers in the game. That UI may or may not be in the final game though, we're only in Alpha so there's still some things that may change.

And yes, there's barely any combat, no jumping on thing's heads or anything. Pretty much every character is interact-able, though there will be cases where you have to use certain abilities to dispose of certain creatures in certain ways... And they always have a platforming puzzle context. I would say more, but... that would ruin the surprises!  Grin

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:50:36 PM »

Hi guys! A new dev blog post!

http://poncho-game.com/

We are currently now working on our first gameplay trailer, where we will actually show off the main mechanics of the game. Exciting stuff!

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:31:21 PM »

Hi Everyone, we have a new blog update!

http://poncho-game.com/?p=74

Our main character has undergone a little redesign, looking sharp.

We're super busy in crunch mode now. I miss not going to bed when everyone is waking up after sunrise. We're in the final stretch now, got to push through and make sure this thing is as good as we can make it. Going to announce something big about Poncho in a few days, stay tuned!

PEACE Coffee

-Danny-

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »

Hi everyone!

We just announced our game on Greenlight! please, please, please, be a sport and vote YES!

We also have a new trailer, and are soon to launch on kickstarter. Check back soon for new updates!

Cheers,

Dan

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »

Nice trailer! Voted.

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »

AH! My thanks to you, kind person!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »

this game sounds fuckin' cool as Coolin' Heck

i will play the shit out of this game

edit: to clarify:

you're not doing anything new, but that's not a bad thing. i've been waiting for a whole fucking game of parallax shifting ever since paper mario: the thousand year door. shantae: risky's revenge did a bit more with it, but it was for one single area and nothing else. so a whole game of it sounds excellent.

open world is absolutely always my bag

plus the similarities to my own game in progress (only vague, though; the multiple endings, some vague aesthetic similarities, and the open world you're dropped into the center of are the only things really that similar) are definitely helping my impression a bit but that's only coincidental stuff. it tickles the hell outta my fancy.

this looks fantastic, is the point. the art is great. i liked what i heard of the music a lot and i liked the trailer.

also i must ask if the title/mechanic pairing are meant to draw an intentional comparison to fez (the poncho, obviously, has a front and a back, so there's two layers there, echoing the parallax) because if so that may or may not be unwise (not that fez isn't fucking phenomenal, but) i can't decide yet. i'm ok with it personally, though

anyway
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:22:12 PM by spellmynamewithabang » Logged

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »

Hey! I'm glad you like it! Yeah I've seen other games where you move into a background or foreground, but its always very restricted and you usually have to activate a lever or go through a door in one space to access the background space, so we wanted to make something where you can shift as much as you like. There are even some parts of the game where you have to twitch-shift and time your movements carefully. Smiley

also i must ask if the title/mechanic pairing are meant to draw an intentional comparison to fez (the poncho, obviously, has a front and a back, so there's two layers there, echoing the parallax) because if so that may or may not be unwise (not that fez isn't fucking phenomenal, but) i can't decide yet. i'm ok with it personally, though

Yeah, some people compare the title to FEZ, though it's entirely coincidental. The Poncho doesn't give him powers or anything, it's just part of the robot's character design. I just didn't want to change the title or stop the character design from being red because... it's just what feels right. It's always been the core of his look and the title of the game for over two years now, so we've stuck with it. Even if people would drop the comparison if we changed a few things like that, changing it would just seem wrong. I hope people like the game anyway, so far the response has been overwhelmingly positive! Smiley

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 06:32:06 PM »

no i absolutely wouldn't suggest to change it at all! i was mostly just curious.

at any rate you have my eventual money and a full play of the game to at least one ending, i promise

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »

Awesome, cheers!  Coffee

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »

Hi everyone, we just now launched our kickstarter! Tell your friends or get a copy of the game for £5! I am actually shaking right now and this is too awesome to believe.

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 01:12:20 AM »

Hello! Just a quick update on how things are going, we're now 40% towards being Greenlit on Steam after just 4 days, and also we have 8% of our funding on kickstarter after our first day!

...This is so weird... It feels strange to have the game out in the world like this now. In other news, during all this crunch to get things sorted I seem to have picked up insomnia. Well done Dan, well done.  Tired

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »

Hi guys, we have a new update on our Kickstarter page, complete with a video diary! Check it out if you want to stay updated with all the stuff going on. Smiley

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1971413574/poncho-an-open-world-puzzle-platformer/posts

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 04:22:58 PM »

Hi everyone, we now have a playable alpha demo of the game ready! Check it out via the link below...

http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/poncho-alpha/34159/

Thanks for all your support. Feedback on the gameplay so far very welcome! ^^

Tired Now crunch can end for a little break... Coffee

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »

hey so i got some comments after playing this thing finally.

okay.

first off: collecting things is satisfying as it should be. everything looks gorgeous. the music is -beautiful- and fits well. sound design for the most part works really well. it runs very smoothly (i didn't have any frames dropped at all) and it feels solid for the most part.

but there's a lotttttta problems too (which makes sense; this is an alpha, after all!), and they're mostly regarding the plane switching mechanic.

here's the main issue in short: this game is hard. it's really fucking hard. and it's very obviously not supposed to be.

i'm not whining that this game can't be hard at some point but...

okay.

let's break this down here.

you're throwing novice players (for the game) into an open world puzzle platformer that's heavy on atmosphere and mystery, and it has a perspective mechanic. great.

so what's the problem? only this: the start of this peaceful puzzle game feels like the final level of super meat boy.

the difficulty level is fighting the desire to explore 100 percent right now. it's already hard to grasp where each plane is; the parallax is functional but possibly not functional enough. this would be less of a problem on 3DS but right now everything feels like guesswork, and guesswork means you really have to mess around with tweaking the mechanics.

possibly this could be averted by a camera that was always tilting left or right but that might ruin the 2D look. it might throw people off, too. maybe including a camera that could tilt at all; but again, that would ruin the 2D look. probably the best bet is a maneuverable camera that is still anamorphic but keeps the parallax in mind, such that you could "look around corners" and such without sacrificing the flat pixel look.

that's a very minor point, though; a camera would be gravy. it wouldn't fix all the constant dying (it might give it a tiny health pad though).

the thing that's both hilarious and cruel is that you can shift planes from a standing position in a way that will let you fall to your death. this can happen nearly constantly and can be easily sacrificed with nary a tear shed; simply preventing you from shifting from a standing position if it would kill you is a good way to fix that.

also cruel/hilarious; the fact that you can very, very easily manage to respawn in such a way that the game kills you again, instantly respawning you back at the beginning of whatever area you're in. everyone who's played the demo knows exactly what area this becomes a legitimate pain in

i managed to find all 17 (i think there are only 17) red cubes in the demo. but by that point, this happened, because i was trying to explore using the plane shifting mechanic and ended up in an unfinished area, looping my infinite death

so that's great.

note: jumping to a platform only to find out it wasn't on the plane you thought it was and consequently falling and then having to climb back up, or worse, respawning nowhere near where you were, is hell. it is abject torture.

note: the sound that plays when you visit the merchant is ungodly and i wouldn't have a problem with that so much if it wasn't louder than everything else (it might be, level-wise, the same loudness as everything, but it's sure as hell kicking that midrange fletcher-munson sweet spot until my fight-or-flight kicks in and i inadvertently throw my laptop out the window

note: the switching mechanic is, largely, satisfying when it works. jumping to another platform that you -know- is on a certain plane, switching to that plane, and landing? feels like magic. but it also feels unfair when you misjudge what plane it is. how do you fix that? how do you tweak that?

a thing to think: fez has a perspective mechanic that, similarly, can be used at all times, while jumping and while standing. it feels immediately intuitive and never feels bad to use. what is fez doing differently?

it's only two things.

one of them: switching perspective planes stops you and time for the duration of the switch in mid-air

and: you can switch as many times as you want in mid-air until you finally hit the ground

these are crucial. i don't know if you're considering these things for possible upgrades, but they should be considered if not and they should probably be implemented to solve a lot of heartache.

i do understand that switching forward and back is probably an upgrade, given that both walls blocking off the demo's edges are impossible to traverse unless you do that (with the exception of the above area, which is possible to get through by just plane shifting forward and jumping. it registers you as entering the next area).

but if that's the case, you should both get that ability very early and you should make certain that the earlier jump puzzles involving plane-shifting are much easier. right now it's nigh-untraversable and frustrating because you're throwing too much at the player at once. the difficulty curve needs to be way gentler. i also super recommend you doing the stop-time thing, because there's absolutely nothing worse than jumping onto a platform that's on a certain plane and then landing right as it shifts. it's hell. this would make the timing way nicer in a very subtle way without breaking the beautiful momentum.

small note: you hear the falling death sound every time you exit an area.

small note: i like the dialogue and worldbuilding. it's cute.

something i was thinking about while playing: littlebigplanet uses plane-shifting in an identical way to you with two exceptions:

-i don't think you can shift in mid-air nearly as easily if at all
-it moves you to the right plane automatically in certain situations to ease frustration

something maybe to think about for certain situations where shifting and jumping together aren't crucial to the experience, mayhaps, and especially something to think about letting kick in in certain sections if the player dies enough times.

the area to the left of the starting center is far more compelling than the area to the right because of the gentler difficulty curve. and the area to the right is difficult because it doesn't feel intuitive because shifting hasn't become second nature. would you be able to do the final boss of the world ends with you without having the whole game teach you how you're supposed to play it? probably not?

i like the colors. the pink trees are nice.

i might have more specific thoughts on difficulty, etc later. anyway i've spent over two full hours on playtesting + taking notes on this so i think it's a good point to leave it at that.

cheers!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:15:04 PM by spellmynamewithabang » Logged

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »

Wow this is awesome feedback! Thanks, this is just what we need.

We're only 3 guys and we've been working on this thing so long sometimes it's hard to put yourself in the shoes of a new player. We'll go through some things and make it easier to see the planes I think, I'll let you know when we post an update to the demo. Also yeah, there's plenty of bugs in the game still. We'll get them all eventually. Smiley

Again thanks, this is majorly helpful!

Danny

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic