Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:12:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallPONCHO - We have robots with hats!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: PONCHO - We have robots with hats!  (Read 4388 times)
Danny Hayes
Level 1

An Indie developer, co-Creator of PONCHO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »

We actually have 5 areas before the one in our alpha demo, that compromises the tutorial, and this is easier. We'll see about adding them in an update.

And by the way, there's actually 53 powercells (those red things) in the demo. I'm good at hiding things...

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »

We actually have 5 areas before the one in our alpha demo, that compromises the tutorial, and this is easier. We'll see about adding them in an update.

And by the way, there's actually 53 powercells (those red things) in the demo. I'm good at hiding things...

clearly. i'll get back to it and try to find them all.

EDIT: oh hey i forgot to mention

please dear god make the text skippable/fastforwardable

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »

ARe you interested in trying a different demo?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:31:10 PM by DanHayesGamer » Logged

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:45 PM »

Ok, so in your opinion, does this version feel better than the other one that's posted?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12190188/poncho%20web/poncho%20web.html

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »

Ok, so in your opinion, does this version feel better than the other one that's posted?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12190188/poncho%20web/poncho%20web.html

about to try this! will update you with my thoughts

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »

Ok cool. The difference should be immediately obvious when you enter the forest

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »

the more extreme parallax is -much- clearer, yeah! wow. i'll keep you updated still on how much this offsets the rest of it!

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »

Ok awesome, thanks for putting in the time to help us improve Poncho!  Smiley

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »

absolutely no problem! it's not only absolutely fantastic how much clearer it is, but it might even look better (it's about 50/50 in my mind but i'm leaning yes)

i just had a thought that would help ease frustration with these early jumping puzzles maybe 100 fold; currently, if a platform moves out from under you, you just fall.

why i think that's so unsatisfying right now is that it would make sense more if you just...moved with the platform? if you actually land it, it feels like a cheat to fall. but if the ground is moving, you should logically be moving with it. that's not to say that certain types of ground could be pulled out from under you (and that's a platformer trope that's stood the test of time!) but rather that i think in this early going it's too much too soon.

mind you, again, i can't stress enough how much better this is. i should have realized that increasing spacial distance between planes would make this much difference

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 08:15:21 PM »

Ah thanks! I may just update the public demo with this version. Thanks a bunch!

And yes, I'll make that text from the king at the start skippable. Smiley

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

cool!

a few more notes, if you're not totally sick of me yet; there might be a bug in that you fall immediately when entering the area to the left from the platform through the trees on the right despite there clearly being a continuation of that platform. maybe that's an intentional thing. I dunno!

i forgot to mention how much i love the shop music.

i ended up with 55 cells at the end unless i miscounted? (earlier i had counted 17 because i didn't realize what was happening with them in the shop...once i grokked the basics of how the transactions were working i figured out what happened)

also i finally finished the demo; i like that it's possible to get into a no-win state (i assume that the final game would have a branching path if you run out of power cells before getting a gold key?)

all in all i'm excited for this game (if it wasn't clear from me spending five hours playtesting it for you for free)

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »

Haha, Thanks alot! Yeah that's probably about all of them. Well done for finding them all! I've updated the main demo with the changes, I totally agree with this perspective.

In the final game, you'll always be able to beat it and get to the ending area no matter what, but yes, depending how you do certain puzzles and in what order you do things, certain paths will shut and others will open up. Smiley There is also a gold key in the shifting blocks level to collect, though, just in case for the demo.

The shop music is also probably my favourite, other than the junkyard king theme. ^^

I'm glad you had a good time in Poncho! It feels nice to know you enjoyed it.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »

Haha, Thanks alot! Yeah that's probably about all of them. Well done for finding them all! I've updated the main demo with the changes, I totally agree with this perspective.

In the final game, you'll always be able to beat it and get to the ending area no matter what, but yes, depending how you do certain puzzles and in what order you do things, certain paths will shut and others will open up. Smiley There is also a gold key in the shifting blocks level to collect, though, just in case for the demo.

The shop music is also probably my favourite, other than the junkyard king theme. ^^

I'm glad you had a good time in Poncho! It feels nice to know you enjoyed it.

ok so that's another bug then i didn't even think about for some reason: the gold key in the block area didn't get added to my keys overall. i had to buy one from the shop to enter the junkyard

RidiculousJohn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

I cannot beat the demo for the life of me. I suck, haha.
Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

Haha, I guess the demo is pretty difficult... did you have fun though?

matwek
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »

Going back over old assets to improve them.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »

niceeeee

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

Hi guys, we've just done another development video diary for Poncho. WE'RE COMING TO OUYA! ^^

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1971413574/poncho-an-open-world-puzzle-platformer/posts/984067

Danny Hayes
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 09:00:49 AM »

Hey everyone,

We've just announced Poncho's stretch goals! We are now pursuing Vita and PS4 support! We've also made some updates and fixes to our demo and posted about let's plays. EGX is less than a week away, and I'm quaking in my boots. Though actually i'm not wearing boots, but i'm really, really, nervous. Azn

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1971413574/poncho-an-open-world-puzzle-platformer/posts

Jack Odell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »

Hi everyone, for anyone who's interested, I've put together a teaser EP for Poncho on my Bandcamp page.

https://jackodell.bandcamp.com/album/p-o-n-c-h-o-ep

Check it out if you want to listen to some of the tracks that will be in the final game.

Thanks.

Smiley

twitter: @Jack_Odell
email:   [email protected]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic