Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:22:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBubble Tennis: Infatuation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bubble Tennis: Infatuation  (Read 6487 times)
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2014, 10:14:59 AM »

Hey there! Bubble Tennis is a two player future-sports simulator featuring sweet muscle people and flexing.

Title: Bubble Tennis: Infatuation
Platforms: Win & Mac at the moment
Engine: Unity
Genre: Future-sports/local multiplayer
Status: Under development. I've probably spent about 3 weekends and a bunch of evenings on it so far.
Grab it: Win | Mac

The game is kinda like air hockey, pong and breakout and is an unashamed take on Giant Bomb favourites Wind Jammers and that weird Hello Kitty game. The aim is to bust through the blocks that cover you opponents goal and score goals. To help you there are power blocks (the ones with stars), hitting the ones associated with your dudes colour increases your special meter, when it's full you can unleash an unstoppable smash.

The game is best played with two gamepads (most should be supported), but you can also use keys.

Gamepad: Left stick to move, A to strike, B to perform special, X to flex (only for posing, but most important).
Keys: SZXC to move, Q to strike, W to perform special, E to flex.
Keys: Arrows to move, U to strike, I to perform special, O to flex.

There is some annoying thing in Unity's input stuff where it's hard to tell what input relates to what so things might get swapped about depending on controllers plugged in etc. Controllers should take priority though.

I'm currently looking for feedback on gameplay and feel, so anything like that would be great and super appreciated. It's really hard to test with just one player!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:44:09 AM by empika » Logged

Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

Never, but question engineer's judgement

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »

Haven't tried it yet (I'm at work, now... and I am not supposed to post on forums too, imagine try games Tongue) but definetely like the retro-style...

I will try it ASAP

I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »

HOORAY, NEW BUILDS! Added a bunch of new stuff including a new stage, stage select screen, audio and music!

Links above are updated, but for your convenience.. Win & Mac

Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:21:42 AM »

My antivirus (Avira) says the zip can be dangerous ://

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:00:05 AM »

Uh oh! I think that might because of a combination of it being a zip and from dropbox. I can only assure you there's no viruses as far as I know, the game got built by unity on a mac and then immediately compressed.

Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 05:59:58 AM »

Ok, it was just for information Smiley

I'd try to unzip it once back home Smiley

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »

Did some great playtesting last night at our local dev group. Some guys from the local fighting game club were there too, which was awesome, they are the best at finding all the exploits.

So turns out the super shot need to be blockable otherwise it's way over powered, not sure what to do about this.

That second court layout needs a change too. Bit to hectic.

Nanni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »

Hey, empika!

I've just played the game (alone) and I loved the concept and the characters! My thoughts:

- About the feel, I think the "ball" should be a little faster, make it more exiting. Can you distort the image of the ball when it hits the wall, contract it a little?
- The character walking is a bit floaty, comparing the walking speed with the animation.
- One thing that annoyed me was the camera moving, following the ball. Maybe it should stay centered and just shake a little when it hits one of the power blocks or a goal.
- I don't know if it's a bug or you didn't implement it yet, but the blocks in front of the goal aren't breaking here, so I couldn't score a point.

I'll play it more when my girlfriend arrives, I'm sure it'll be fun playing for real Smiley
Keep up the good work! Can't wait for future versions  Wink
partylizard
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »

To second Nanni, I couldn't get the "guard blocks" to break.  I smashed them a bunch of times and nothing happened.

I also dislike the camera moving, especially since the entire game board can fit on the screen.  Kinda made my eyes tired and made it hard to focus.

You know in tether ball when you hit the ball in the direction it's already going, it has that awesome feeling as you cause it to accelerate more?  That could be fun if, when you hit the ball in the direction it's already going, it added to the speed.  Like lets say instead of immediately returning, you let the ball bounce on the wall behind you, and THEN hit it as it passes you.

Fun aesthetic and concept.  Maybe flexing or other beach / sand / bodybuilding concepts can integrate into the gameplay.
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:15:56 PM »

Thanks guys!

Could you give me some details on your setups? I've only had a chance to test on mac, so no idea why the blocks might not be breaking if you're on windows, I'll have to try do some testing.

As for ball speed. It should increase when you hit it in the direction it's already going Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:26:13 PM by empika » Logged

Nanni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 05:27:59 PM »

Empika,

I'm playing on a Windows 7 64 Bit, with the following specs:
Intel Core i7
16Gb Ram Memory
Radeon HD 5850
Xbox 360 controller

If you need to know anything else, just ask Smiley
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »

Another funky ball sports game, always love those.

I also couldn't get the blocks to break. I'm on a windows surface pro with windows 8.
I tried looking in the logs, but I couldn't find anything that would indicate the problem.
Here it is anyway;

Code:
Initialize engine version: 4.5.0f6 (fd4616464986)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (ID=0x166)
    Vendor:   Intel
    VRAM:     32 MB
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\Vectrosity.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\Vectrosity.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\dfScriptLite.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\dfScriptLite.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\HOTween.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\HOTween.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.502 seconds
desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

Platform assembly: C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Martino\Desktop\bubble tennis\BubbleTennis_win_0.4_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
reset camera

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

UnloadTime: 0.769144 ms
Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 2 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 366.
Total: 1.787626 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.045883 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.016904 ms MarkObjects: 0.698508 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.015093 ms)

reset camera

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

UnloadTime: 8.970131 ms
Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 12 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 415.
Total: 1.246690 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.019319 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.010867 ms MarkObjects: 0.609761 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.037430 ms)

Left

Left

UnloadTime: 15.447486 ms

Unloading 6 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 399.
Total: 3.519107 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.048297 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.031393 ms MarkObjects: 1.594435 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.108066 ms)

reset camera

UnloadTime: 0.900152 ms
Unloading 4 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 6 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 574.
Total: 1.348115 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.022941 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.013281 ms MarkObjects: 0.694886 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.022337 ms)

reset camera

reset camera

Destroying a class with registered Listeners!

Destroying a class with registered Listeners!

I also didn't like the camera moving around, it felt kind of weird since the entire arena was visible anyway.
I'd also like some feedback when I press the special move but my special meter is not full, an indication that you cnanot use the move would probably be nice.

Other than that it looks like great fun :D

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 12:43:44 AM »

Hey!

So i think i've fixed that bug. Seems weird that it'd work fine on mac but not windows, unity being weird i guess :s

Here's the new build

Thanks for the feedback about the camera, I'll see what I can do. Also the whole special move thing needs a bit of an overhaul, feedback when you can't perform one would certainly be a good start!

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:37:32 AM »

Also, here's the title music if you like that sort of thing!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic