Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:10:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsAny Devs in Michigan with groups, jams, or events?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any Devs in Michigan with groups, jams, or events?  (Read 2501 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to know if there are any devs that are from Michigan who know of any groups, jams, or events that happen in the Detroit or Ann Arbor area. Trying to connect with the local scene and not really sure where to start looking.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »

I feel this man! I actually am living in Ann Arbor and have the same issue. The University has a club, but not many members ACTUALLY get down and make games.

We should meet up and start something!

Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

Fellow Ann Arbor dev here. Anyone up for showing and discussing your current projects?

Dotbot
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:04:10 AM »

Hey, I'm from Detroit and the only other friend I have that's big into game development is moving to Ann Arbor right now. I'd love to setup a night to get together and discuss projects. It would be beyond awesome to get a local scene in Michigan going.  Coffee
Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »

How about meeting sometime next weekend (11th/12th October), sometime in the evening at one of the coffee shops in the downtown area?

EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 10:14:17 PM »

Going bump this up as I like to see if anyone new here is in Michigan.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 12:06:37 PM »

Going bump this up as I like to see if anyone new here is in Michigan.
Bump.
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »

Interesting you bumped this.

I'm actually moving to Michigan in less than a month now! :O

My fiancé lives in the Traverse Bay area. Getting married in July, I'm going to move out there in May to prepare our condo and final wedding plans (currently in my hometown of Philadelphia, PA).

I'm not sure what the game dev scene is like in Michigan, but I'd love to attend meet ups if possible once I'm out there!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
kshankin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 08:10:20 AM »

Well congratulations! The Traverse Bay area is really nice and about 3.5hrs away from me (I'm in the Detroit metro area). I haven't attended any game dev meetups or anything though, to be fair I haven't looked for too many. In any case, the game dev meetups/events don't jump right out in front of you as they seem to in San Francisco or other places.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »

Interesting you bumped this.

I'm actually moving to Michigan in less than a month now! :O

My fiancé lives in the Traverse Bay area. Getting married in July, I'm going to move out there in May to prepare our condo and final wedding plans (currently in my hometown of Philadelphia, PA).

I'm not sure what the game dev scene is like in Michigan, but I'd love to attend meet ups if possible once I'm out there!

Game dev scene is not great here. It's gonna be even worse up there. You're quite a ways away from GR, Ann Arbor, and Detroit and it's not particularly great even in those from what I know (Can't speak for Detroit). On the upside that's a pretty area to live in.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:34:50 AM »

Game dev scene is not great here. It's gonna be even worse up there. You're quite a ways away from GR, Ann Arbor, and Detroit and it's not particularly great even in those from what I know (Can't speak for Detroit). On the upside that's a pretty area to live in.

That's what I figured. Thank God for conferences and thank God for the internet hahahah

It might test my patience, but my marriage will always come first. I'll try to attend 2-3 conferences per year if possible.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
brokenshotgun
Level 0

Breaker of Shotguns

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »

Detroit Game Dev here!  I was actually considering organizing a meetup for the next Ludum Dare at a space right downtown, but trying to build interest.  I wish I knew of a meetup or something so I could gauge interest more easily!  Maybe I need to start one?   Wink

nujakujata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 09:16:04 AM »

I collaborate with a few local devs with a number of meetup events around Detroit, Southfield and Royal Oak. I'm also an Assistant Professor at Lawrence Tech where I run the Game Art program. They have a number of free and open events that go on weekly or monthly, provided it is during the Spring/Fall term. Art Shop, for example, meets every Friday in our 24/7 Game Studio to work on creating content, among other things.

This thread started up awhile back, but for anyone interested there are things going on throughout the state. Reach out to me! I'd love to get more people involved.

Mars Ashton // Indiedev // Professor // Twitter // Steam Greenlight
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic