Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:25:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBrain Rampage - Animation making timelapses
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Brain Rampage - Animation making timelapses  (Read 7299 times)
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:26:11 AM »

Hello.

This is Brain Rampage by Icefix Games. Previously known as Revolt Pale. The game is too awesome to keep making it in Flash. Unity, here we go. More info soon!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:24:59 AM by Mihic » Logged
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 04:00:23 AM »

the images all seem to be missing. Is it just me?

Looks pretty silly/fun from the video. Keep it up!

On STEAM »
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:51 AM »

First post move here, for readability reasons.

Hello, my name is Mihael, I'm lurking this place for a few months now, and I'm at the point where I feel comfortable to show you guys what my artist and me are capable of doing.
Sometime in the future, we will call ourselves Icefix Games Smiley

Standard setup,
André - 24 years old graphics design student from Argentina. He does our Game Design and Graphics. You can stalk him on deviantArt. Feel free to join his RP group, if you're into weird shit I don't understand, and I can't grasp what it is even when he explains it to me. :D

Mihael - me, 19 years old programmer from Croatia (time zones Sad ) . I just finished high-school. I will study CS this fall. I would be happy if you would follow me on twitter @mihiiic. I will post some mind-blowing stuff that I'll probably be ashamed of next year, but oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Since we still don't have a name for the game, and because we still don't know what do we want this game to be, I'll show you gif, because everybody loves those!

The game is action shooter with randomly generated enemy spawns, game is in development for 2 days so there is some placeholder graphics made by me, and I'm not that good with graphics. Also, 2 days, so pretty much everything in the game is WIP.

Game has unique hand drawn graphics style, which is not seen very often and we are very proud of it!

Game is made in Flash using Flashpunk library, we are currently starting out our first real project but since we are poor (we currently can't even afford website :/ )we are doing this to make some money to get us started.

Also, we don't have sound guy, so if you find this project interesting and you can compose and make sounds, feel free to say hi! Since we are poor, we currently can't pay upfront, but we would be happy to do rev-share.

So far we finished one game, which are we currently trying to sell, you can check it out here:

Until next update! Smiley

the images all seem to be missing. Is it just me?

Looks pretty silly/fun from the video. Keep it up!
Oh, that game is finished! I don't know where to upload gifs, I tried with Google Drive no luck, I'll search for something free.

Anyway, thank you!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:34:23 PM by Mihic » Logged
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:52:21 PM »

Update 1
We survived 3rd day of the development, here is what we managed to achieve!

We finished our "bat" monster mechanics (we don't have a name for it, we're open to suggestions). It attacks the player, and once in range, it spits on the player. In addition to that, they sometimes drop ammo you can use to fuel your more powerful weaponry. We also added more particles to them, which made me all warm inside!

We tried making the "boss(ish) bat" (no name as well) have some effects to it too. It's getting there but we're still not completely satisfied with it.

And we managed to work on that other enemy. For the time being we call it "puker". You'll notice immediately why Tongue . Note that puking is not attacking mechanic on itself, but is going to be incorporated into something a little bit more complex.

With that visible changes, there is lots of stuff we done that aren't really visible, but need to be done.

We would like to hear you opinion and suggestions on the game!
Until next update!
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:49:31 AM »

Update 2

We added Wolfenstein3D style health indicator, added numerous tweaks and bug fixes, but most importantly, we finished "puker" guy mechanics!

Smiley
luispedrofonseca
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »

This is looking great! Following!

mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »

This thread is turning into .gif galore Tongue

Update 3
5 days in. Most of the stuff I've done is on monsters "AI" and Andre played around with level design a little, so there is not much to see. Except, flamethrower. (with placeholder graphics Tongue )

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:55:36 PM »

those death animations are awesome

skittlefuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 01:48:21 AM »

The enemies look great! The whole art style is very lovable

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »

Isn't about time you named the unnamed 2d action game?

mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »

First off, thank you people for commenting on game/art it really means a lot. Smiley

Isn't about time you named the unnamed 2d action game?

Well, we just started working on the game, name is the least of our concerns atm.

If you're pointing out that it gets annoying seeing that title, we'll try to come up with something until tomorrow.
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »

Well, we just started working on the game, name is the least of our concerns atm.

If you're pointing out that it gets annoying seeing that title, we'll try to come up with something until tomorrow.
I'm just being a mild jerk. Take your time and let it happen naturally.

Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 02:35:39 PM »

Art looks great, the big guy looks like something by The Behemoth. Nice death animations too
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 09:30:17 PM »

I'm just being a mild jerk. Take your time and let it happen naturally.
Yeah I figured, I just wanted to be overly diplomatic about it.   Undecided

Art looks great, the big guy looks like something by The Behemoth. Nice death animations too
I can kinda see why you would say that, and it makes me happy!

Update 5

Ok, I figured out a name for the game (or rather name for this thread, since it will most likely change). Welcome to the Revolt Pale !

Now let's get to the actually important stuff. We changed the background, it's something similar to what you could expect from the finished game, but GIF compression made it not nice.
We started working on our second boss!

And finished flamethrower!

That is it for now, until next update!  Beer!
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:26:33 AM »

Update 6

Other than work on enemies, (spider is still very much work in progress) I started working on level-design helper, that will hopefully make making levels easy(ish) and high quality. We'll try to measure each jump so it feel really good, also, weapons and ammo will be optimally distributed. That's the goal at least.

Until next update Smiley
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 12:40:17 AM »

Update 7

Uhm... yeah. That shit is worth showing.

mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 03:12:19 AM »

Update 8

I'm pretty sad writing this. We hit the ceiling on what the flash can display and what we wanted to achieve. Performance may not actually be so bad but my 6 year old machine sure doesn't help. Which is unfortunate, because Flash users tend not to have high-end rigs either.

So the question rises, should we continue developing it in Flash (and cut down on polish and content) or is there alternative for us (we are looking to monetize)?

I would really like to hear your opinion on this.
We were looking other solutions, also, we don't wanna to pollute Steam even more with games nobody will buy. I still feel like like games on Steam need to be "worthy", and I feel we just aren't there yet.

I'm fluent in any C-like language, we initially started working on the project in C++/Polycode, but we quickly realized we don't have the time nor money to seek it to the end, so we decided to earn some money before approaching "the-big thing" rather than abandoning it halfway.

Here is the gameplay video of game current state. It's 2 weeks in development.

Any suggestion is good suggestion!
Canned Turkey
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »

If you want to monetize, it's never a good idea to use flash. Almost anything flash can make is not worth selling.
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 09:36:47 AM »

have you looked at something like Stencyl? granted, it's not very programmer-ish, given how you can make stuff work there via drag & drop "coding", but it is supposed to have a fast and easy workflow. Some of the braver folks are actually creating games with really high-resolution artwork in it (Ghost Song, I'm looking at you).
absolute8
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »

Create a profile on fgl.com and see if you can get a sponsor for a demo version of the game. Hand Joystick

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic