Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:01:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonochromalith [working title]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Monochromalith [working title]  (Read 3081 times)
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »

-------

Monochromalith (Working title, maybe) is a top down action-adventure game with a bright and cheerful art style and atmosphere.

You play as a sentient, colorless monolith (Which is where the title of the game comes from; a combination of Monochromatic and Monolith), who is unhappy with his life because the world around him is colorful and vibrant, and he's just a boring old box.

So he sets off to find someone who might be able to grant him what he's always longed for: beauty.

-------

Here's a pretty GIF of the game's scenery:

As well as a GIF of the inventory system:

-------

I've been working on the game since late April 2014, and it's being developed in Game Maker: Studio for anyone wondering (Although that might change if I ever find a programmer who I can work well with).

I'll be posting updates here, although I'm sort of working on the game at a slow pace for now.  You can also follow me on Twitter for additional updates that I might not post here:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:08:06 AM by Forstride » Logged

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:20:32 AM »

following!

play hydlide 2
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:19:44 AM »

Blink Blink

Lycaon
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:35:19 AM »

Wow, gorgeous! Game Maker has really come a long way, you can do a lot with it! I'll definitely have my eye on this.
aberrantmike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »

sexxay
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:47:29 PM »

Thanks for all of the positive comments!

I just got done adding the text box system, and recorded a GIF to show it off:

The design of it isn't final, but the core mechanics of the text box system are there.

Lycaon
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:08:04 PM »

The font you're using has the "x" and "I" characters looking way too similar. It took a while to click that you weren't talking about a "text boi", whatever that is.
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »

The font you're using has the "x" and "I" characters looking way too similar. It took a while to click that you weren't talking about a "text boi", whatever that is.
Yeah, I had the font set to bold cause the normal version didn't look that nice.  I changed the font anyway, as the one I was using wasn't public domain, and the new one looks a lot nicer.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 08:42:33 PM »

I'd love a tech demo to see more of your awesome artwork.
Following.
Coffee Hand Any Key
nickgravelyn
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »

Thanks for all of the positive comments!

I just got done adding the text box system, and recorded a GIF to show it off:

The design of it isn't final, but the core mechanics of the text box system are there.
Looks really nice, but one thing I'd suggest is to calculate the word wrapping before animating words in. It seems jarring to see it start typing a word on one line and then jump that whole word to the next line. Probably best to see that condition beforehand and just start the word on the next line to make it a little more visually pleasing.

But really neat otherwise. Love the art style. Smiley
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:17:35 PM »

Looks really nice, but one thing I'd suggest is to calculate the word wrapping before animating words in. It seems jarring to see it start typing a word on one line and then jump that whole word to the next line. Probably best to see that condition beforehand and just start the word on the next line to make it a little more visually pleasing.

But really neat otherwise. Love the art style. Smiley
Yeah, I know what you mean, and the way I'm doing this right now doesn't really account for that.  I'd be able to easily fix it by manually adding line breaks into the strings for the text, but doing it automatically would probably be a bit harder.

I'll try to find a simpler way to do it than the idea I have in my head, but I'm not too worried about it ATM.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 12:47:29 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean, and the way I'm doing this right now doesn't really account for that.  I'd be able to easily fix it by manually adding line breaks into the strings for the text, but doing it automatically would probably be a bit harder.

I'll try to find a simpler way to do it than the idea I have in my head, but I'm not too worried about it ATM.

This may be what you already have in mind but have you considered laying out all the text then animating the reveal? Depending on what existing system you have in place it may suffice to draw the initial charters with both the color and shadow matching the textbox background. If you need to store data in the colors you could abuse the alpha channel, which may only be of use for programming shaders.

Or this might be me other-thinking everything, or might be assuming more control over text that you have.

Anyway, you have a fantastic style!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »

It still wouldn't really work that way.  Basically what I'm doing is taking the original text, and creating a duplicate which deletes characters from it at a position that increases every two steps (Steps in Game Maker, that is).

I decided to just manually add line breaks to the text.  I might look at it again in the future, but it doesn't seem like it'd be that worth it to try and add an automated way of inserting line breaks, as it seems like it'd be really complex, for me at least.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 01:18:03 AM »

That should work! If you don't enjoy the tiny programming details no sense wasting time on them Beer!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »

That should work! If you don't enjoy the tiny programming details no sense wasting time on them Beer!
Heh, yeah.  I'm more of an artist/designer than a programmer, which is the main reason I use Game Maker, so as long as I can get something to work and it's not too sloppy, I'm happy with it.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 02:49:30 AM »

Started working on the inventory tonight:

Not really much to show off, as it's far from finished, but there's basic item selection in the menu, and picking up items off the ground (Which are added to the first open slot, as you can see by my test items).

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 05:23:21 AM »

Made a GIF showing off the inventory:

Changed the design a bit, and code-wise, I changed it from a 2D array to a 1D array because a 1D array is so much easier to work with.  I think the only thing I have left to do with the inventory is moving/dropping items, which should be simple, and then it's on to the other pause menu screens.

Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »

This looks very nice.  I'll be interested to see where this goes.

apebeast
Level 0

Indie game designer making high quality games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »

Awesome art! Very curious on how the game progresses. Also, how did you learn how to do that kind of art?

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »

Awesome art! Very curious on how the game progresses. Also, how did you learn how to do that kind of art?
I guess I just learned from practice and doing art for other failed projects of mine over the years.  I never really followed any tutorials or anything, although I do get inspired by different games a lot.

I actually just compiled an album of screenshots from projects of mine between 2005 and 2014, if you're interested in seeing how my art has improved over the years: http://imgur.com/a/DHP4M

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic