Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:31:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLight Fingers (Former working title Ring World)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Light Fingers (Former working title Ring World)  (Read 3613 times)
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »

I went to TOJam this year and made this game. It was very buggy and lacking lots of content but I liked where things were going so I continued. I've been working on it here and there as a side project. Decided its time for it to have a dev log.

The gameplay is still being fleshed out. Aiming for 4 player local multiplayer.

Here's the first ever screenshot from #TOJam (May 2014)

Here's a shot from June, 2014

February 2016

October 2016

July 2017

I will be slowly updating this devlog to share the process as we worked from 2015 through to now.

The game now has a website: http://lightfingersgame.com
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:24:01 AM by hube » Logged

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:22:28 AM »

Soooo it has been 2 months. Tons has happened but looking back at my original post its like nothing happened because if you asked me what I'm doing now I'd tell you I'm implementing a combat mechanic.

So what has happened in the last ~60 days?

• New tiles!!
  • New characters
  • Made a combat system I didn't like
  • Scrapped the combat system
  • Event system
  • Dice Rolling System
  • Explored applications for government funding
  • New UI with Unity 4.6 beta

Here are some recent shots

Here is a gif with the dice mechanic and new characters

If you have name suggestions leave them below!!
Ringworld is a famous sci-fi book series from the 70s I believe, either way it looks like I won't be able to use this name. If you have any cool ideas please share.

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:26:14 AM »

Halo!
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »

Border-lands. Nah just kiddin', seriously that does suck when you discover the most fitting title is already taken. How about Band-Lands? or Loop-Lands? or Circle-Cities? Circle-Colonies? That's a tough nut to crack I gotta say. Game looks great though!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »

How about Circuit Cities or Perimeter?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »

I like "Perimeter" as Christian suggested.

justincavenagh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »

Nice looking game, I however don't have a suggestion for a name.... Sorry Tongue

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

I like "Perimeter" as Christian suggested.
Well the more accurate title would be "Circumference" but that doesn't sound as good as Perimeter IMO

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »

Holy Island

It's a religious island. Oh, and there's a hole in the center it.

I like the graphical style. Low-fi is appealing to me when done well, which it seems you have done.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »

That looks very cool indeed... but I guess I'm talking on the behalf of everyone here if I tell you that I've yet to understand what the gameplay is all about! Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
RecidivistSW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 05:00:25 PM »

Which government is this?

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »

Strangely Circular

Wizard
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »

Unfortunately, Perimeter is taken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perimeter_(video_game)
What about Rolld?

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:55 AM »

I LOVE the look of this, the gameplay seems really unique! I don't have a suggestion for a name currently, but hope you can find one! I'm gonna follow the heck outta this!
Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:11 AM »

Game looks cool!
For the name, how about something based on Band or Circlet? I'd suggest Bandia, but that's just because of my fond memories of Grandia back in the days.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:44 AM »

That looks very cool indeed... but I guess I'm talking on the behalf of everyone here if I tell you that I've yet to understand what the gameplay is all about! Smiley

Ring World is a Mario Party like with swords!! Less mini games, more turn based combat and narrative driven encounters. Very minimal RPG elements.

Which government is this?
The government of Ontario, Canada has funds like the OMDC's IDM fund or experimental CMF fund which usually match existing funds to double your project's budget. These are funds that were targeted at film / television in the past that now are opening up to interactive media.
[EDIT] I should mention why I failed at this - these funds are geared towards larger projects and usually work on doubling your budget. They can also match your work time, as long as you have around 10% of the budget in cash. In my case I have one music composer and I was thinking about taking on an animator thinking I could offset their salaries with my work, which was going to go into the project either way.

It turned out that there is a lot more needed to make a project appealing to a fund. One of them is geared towards job creation in the province and really wants to see all the money going to creating more paid man hours. They look a lot at your experience, and who is on the team. Bottom line, as I started to massage the budget and build my application I realized I would have to build a mini game studio around this project as they do not trust one individual covering all aspects of production. The budget ballooned into a massive 12 month endeavor which would see me working for free so that I could offset the funds I was receiving from the government to pay the people I would need to hire... and even then I could only offset my work so I would be hiring a bunch of part time staff.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have explored all derivative words of "Ring" and haven't been happy with anything so far. Circuit City and Perimeter sound too technologically advanced. The game has a mythological setting so I am hunting a Greek Mythology reference.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:55:11 AM by hube » Logged

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 07:13:50 AM »

It has the same fresh, mysterious feel Myst had when it came out. Can't wait to see more!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:16:24 AM »

just came up with a good one: Halo
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »

How about Omicron?

Omicron (uppercase Ο, lowercase ο, literally "small o": Όμικρον, o mikron, micron meaning 'small' in contrast to omega) is the 15th letter of the Greek alphabet

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:14 AM »

What do you think of Discus?

Edit: oh, Omicron sounds good too. Although it does sound a bit sci fi-ish IMO

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic