Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:20:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLight Fingers (Former working title Ring World)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Light Fingers (Former working title Ring World)  (Read 3656 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 07:46:51 AM »

Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:52 AM »

just came up with a good one: Halo
It's perfect.

If there is an Omikron, is there a conflict with using Omicron? Especially if it's not a well known IP?

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »

Wreathe
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »

just came up with a good one: Halo
It's perfect.

If there is an Omikron, is there a conflict with using Omicron? Especially if it's not a well known IP?
bro, everybody knows omicron. what a classic.
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »

Also this... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.canupa.omicron&hl=en

marquet
Level 0

Time to make a game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »

Radius

or

Diameter

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have explored all derivative words of "Ring" and haven't been happy with anything so far. Circuit City and Perimeter sound too technologically advanced. The game has a mythological setting so I am hunting a Greek Mythology reference.

The first thing that comes to my mind in that setting is the (laurel?) victor's wreath for athletic contests (as rek suggested).

IIRC the greek word is Stephanos (Στέφανος), so maybe Stephanocosm (Στέφανοκόσμ)? Or Stephanopolis (Στέφανοπόλις)?

Hrm...I'm trying to think of a greek word for some kind of place that we doesn't have connotations of grandeur in English. Tough one. OK, where's my Greek dictionary? -opolis for town or city, -cosm for world, stadia for stage, dromos for road (I was thinking maybe circle-road (Κύκλο-δρόμος), but that's just cyclodrome, which we use).

Maybe Guro (Gyro?), for round/curved? Gah, what's the word for small town? I know there's another word than "polis". Ah, chorio. So maybe "Γύροχωριό", "curved village"? Gyrochorio? Bah, it sounds good in Greek but there's no good way to transliterate it. There's palaestra and gymnasium. Oikos is house. Stephanoikos (Στέφανοίκος)?

OK, there's my two cents worth of thinking out loud. I'm sure you'll come up with something if you keep at it long enough. It seemed like it took Sebioff and crew months, but eventually they pulled out Parkitect, which is pretty awesome IMO.

I like the screenshots, looks like an interesting start. I'll be curious to see how the combat and narrative turns out.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have explored all derivative words of "Ring" and haven't been happy with anything so far. Circuit City and Perimeter sound too technologically advanced. The game has a mythological setting so I am hunting a Greek Mythology reference.

The first thing that comes to my mind in that setting is the (laurel?) victor's wreath for athletic contests (as rek suggested).

Actually I suggested wreathe, the verb form, which means to encircle. "Laurel" is probably a good direction to go though, as it plays on both the circular and competition aspects of the game.

Laurels are associated with Apollo and Daphne, so... Crown of Apollo? Daphne's Ring?
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

I really like "Crown of Apollo" though I think it would only fit if the game was more Greek.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 06:03:54 AM »

I really like "Crown of Apollo" though I think it would only fit if the game was more Greek.

I believe that's the direction hube is taking things.

Back to the name:

The Greek for perimeter is Perimetros, which is a happy coincidence because "metro" also means city in English, so there might be something there. (Perimetropolis?)
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 06:13:51 AM »

I was thinking that if "ring" is taken, you could try a "wheel" theme. This opens up a few possibilities:

In Greek myth, Ixion is punished by being spun endlessly on a wheel. (plus "Ixion" is an awesome-sounding name)

I believe "Trochos" is the greek word for "wheel", also awesome sounding.

In Aesop's Fable "Heracles and the Waggoner", the lazy waggoner is told to "put his shoulder to the wheel" before imploring help from the Gods - you could do some play on Heracles or putting one's shoulder to the wheel?
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »

Wow so much good stuff here. I need a few days to process all this. Thanks so much everyone.

I believe that's the direction hube is taking things.

Yes, the ring is set in ancient mythological Greece. There are however possible branches into other ancient civilizations (other rings) like the egyptians, romans etc, so I don't think I want to use something as specific as naming Apollo in the title.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »

So it's decided, we're going with Halo
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »

Hey! Everyone made so many awesome suggestions to help me and I couldn't decide for a long long time, and then I fell into contract work and sort of left the name decisions on the back burner because I knew I wouldn't be able to do much on the game... but the contracts are done.

After going over the suggestions here and harassing many people on twitter with title ideas I have finally settled on a name. Trochos: Ring of Heroes.  Initially I wanted Ring of Fate, but here is already a FF game on DS that has that subtitle... so Ring of Heroes. Nothing is official yet but big thanks to Low_Chance for suggesting Trochos and thanks to everyone else who took part in the storm of brains here. 

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »

good to see you decided to go with Halo, good luck
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »

Yay Trochos! Glad to see an update on this.
Vivid Foundry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »

Hey Hube! Really liking the look of this and how far it has come along! I also really like the mosaic look in some of your area cards. It's a great stylistic tie-in!

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »

It has been almost 4 years since I posted about this game here. A lot has happened and I figured it would be good to document the road in a series of posts for the sake of recording it and sharing the development process.

Last time we left off with the game name settled as Trochos and me taking off to GDC 2015. It was my first GDC so I met a lot of people but didn't really know anyone and didn't have much going on. It was nice having something to show and looking back now, though it hadn't felt like it at the time, relationships were beginning to form.

I came back and set my sights on a funding opportunity through a government entity here in Ontario (one I had mentioned when posting here before). We ditched the name Trochos and coming up on October I had found a producer / project manager who helped me put together an application for funding under the working title "Ring World" - official title TBD. Here are some screenshots from the application.

A dungeon system was added and the idea of unfolding buildings was born.

It was October 5, 2015 - we submit the funding application. To be continued...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:21:23 AM by hube » Logged

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »

With our application submitted we began the waiting game. The process would take several months, but I got started on fleshing out an art style. Here are some screenshots of how that came about

It started with this building

And eventually grew into a scene

That then migrated into an island setting

And eventually around February 2016 found its way into engine using some custom shaders from the asset store to achieve the effects that were coming out of blender during the design phase
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:21:37 AM by hube » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic