Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:11:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Ruins of Old Earth, a lo-fi metroidvainia game (Gone for good?)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: The Ruins of Old Earth, a lo-fi metroidvainia game (Gone for good?)  (Read 30878 times)
Canned Turkey
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »

Sorry this hasn't been updating a whole lot, I've really burnt out on this.
Lately I've been working on a small side project, and then just bug fixing here and there.
Full-on progress should resume sometime in the next few weeks, I'm just tired of staring at the same game for so long.
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2014, 01:34:32 AM »

The missiles look great!
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »

I feel like just that platform with the rockets would make an interesting miniboss with no other hazards at all...
Can't wait to see what you're able to do with that plus other environmental hazards.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »

I have good news and bad news, good news, I'm gonna try and finish this by the end of the month.
WTF

Here's a list of the things I need to do:

Make a proper player death animation. (Easy)
Add 5-10 enemies/hazards to fill the later areas. (Medium)
Finish the first boss, and add two more. (Hard)
Add some sort of cut-scenes at the beginning and end of the game. (Medium)
Convince my brother to make a boss music track. (Easy)
Polish. (Medium)
Convince people to host my game, hopefully GOG and Humble Store. (??)
Extra: Magically raise 100$ to put the game on greenlight. (??)

Things will be made green as I do them.
Bad news, Alpha testing is no longer gonna be updated as I get closer to the finished product.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »

Make a proper player death animation. (Done!)
Add some sort of cut-scenes at the beginning and end of the game. (Medium)
Polish. (Medium)

It's a little bit jarring, but I really wanted to emulate the feel of the older metroid games.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »

Make a proper player death animation. (Done!)
Add some sort of cut-scenes at the beginning and end of the game. (50%)
Polish. (Medium)

Ehh, it's not as pretty as I would have liked, but it'll do.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »

Final boss mockup.
Comments and critique are very welcome.
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2014, 05:05:08 AM »

Damn, that looks crazy cool! I like it how it is!

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2014, 05:40:15 AM »

You'd think such a small typical metroidvania game was gonna be free, but you plan to put it on gog and greenlight?

I'd never pay for such a game, especially when comparing it to games like Environmental Station Alpha.  Wizard
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2014, 05:44:08 AM »

You'd think such a small typical metroidvania game was gonna be free, but you plan to put it on gog and greenlight?

I'd never pay for such a game, especially when comparing it to games like Environmental Station Alpha.  Wizard

Same. Its a really small game.

If you're gonna sell it, aim low. Less than 5 bucks low.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »

I'd never pay for such a game, especially when comparing it to games like Environmental Station Alpha.  Wizard

Same. Its a really small game.

If you're gonna sell it, aim low. Less than 5 bucks low.

Although I agree Environmental Station Alpha is better than my game, I don't think that means I shouldn't charge anything.

I was wanting to put it on GOG and humble, both who offer games that are around the 2-3$ area, greenlight was just an extra thing if I have 100$ lying around to pay for it (which I don't ATM).
$2 Was the price I was thinking, not because I need it, but because I feel I've put enough time and effort into this to warrant some price tag, even a small one.

Damn, that looks crazy cool! I like it how it is!

Thanks!
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

2 bucks is a good price.

I was hoping you werent going for like 7.99 or some insane shit

Canned Turkey
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »

2 bucks is a good price.

I was hoping you werent going for like 7.99 or some insane shit

No way, but that would be funny.
Have you seen that guy that kept raising the price of his game every time someone bought it?
I think the last copy went for 250$ or something stupid like that.

People these days...
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »

Yeah that guy is really cool.

shellbot
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2014, 03:01:56 AM »

Damn, you are definitely a spoiled gamer if you really think like this.
I'm not gonna start flaming, but come on dude, you act like CannedTurkey is going to charge AAA prices
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2014, 05:29:34 AM »

I'd never pay for such a game, especially when comparing it to games like Environmental Station Alpha.  Wizard

Damn, you are definitely a spoiled gamer if you really think like this.
I'm not gonna start flaming, but come on dude, you act like CannedTurkey is going to charge AAA prices

Spoiled gamer? What is that even suppose to mean?

I like quality good games.
I don't like paying big bucks for shitty small indie games.

We all know indie games have recently bloomed. But with it came many bad indie games that are just copies of popular games (guys did you see Isaac or RoR? Lets copy the hell out of that, with zero improvements on the genre). Some are made just to get quick money. Kickstarter, greenlight and similar sites are full of them. You know, small "flash" games that used to be free on sites like Konkregate, Armor games and Newgrounds are now being sold for dozens of bucks on the internet. That is just bullshit.

If the guy is charging 10+ bucks for a small game in a genre that is overflowing on the market (simple platformer metroidvanias with no improvements on their genre, worst cave stories, just like your game), there is no way I will pay for such a game.

If the guy is charging a few bucks (like he said he is) and the game is good, then I will gladly purchase it and give him his well deserved money.

Beer!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:36:28 AM by Green Gospod » Logged
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »

Totally love this and +1 for the death animation/disintegration thing.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »

I somewhat agree with the "freeware is dead" sentiment.  Making it cheap and not limiting yourself to Steam is a good start, but I feel like you'll alienate a lot of your potential player base by the simple principle of forcing them to pay at all.

Many people (me included) are not going to pay money for something that doesn't look like it will warrant more than a couple hours and a single playthrough.  Not saying that this is a bad thing - it's not, short games are fine.  But keep in mind that when people see a price tag they expect something that will last a long time.

Also - it's not hard to add replay value.  Make different difficulty settings.  Add a time attack/speed run mode.  Add a boss rush mode.  Short games like yours are ideal for time attacks and other challenge modes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 11:08:01 AM by Boreal » Logged

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Canned Turkey
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »

Totally love this and +1 for the death animation/disintegration thing.

Thanks!

I somewhat agree with the "freeware is dead" sentiment.  Making it cheap and not limiting yourself to Steam is a good start, but I feel like you'll alienate a lot of your potential player base by the simple principle of forcing them to pay at all.

Many people (me included) are not going to pay money for something that doesn't look like it will warrant more than a couple hours and a single playthrough.  Not saying that this is a bad thing - it's not, short games are fine.  But keep in mind that when people see a price tag they expect something that will last a long time.

Also - it's not hard to add replay value.  Make different difficulty settings.  Add a time attack/speed run mode.  Add a boss rush mode.  Short games like yours are ideal for time attacks and other challenge modes.

Yeah, I'll probably add a new game+ mode with extra difficulty and a re-skinned character (wind waker style).
Canned Turkey
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »

Happy holidays guys, I really wish I could give a gift or something to all of you who've supported this, I mean, 13000+ views is a heck of a lot. But with only just over a week left in the year, I've come to a sad conclusion, I wont be able to finish the game this year. This'll be on hold until after new years. Thank you all for your kind words and feedback, I really hope i'll be able to have a 1.0 release for you all sometime during Q1 2015. Cheers.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic