Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:32:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesShovel Knight Is Out
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Shovel Knight Is Out  (Read 12239 times)
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »

http://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight/

Interesting article on the art direction of the game:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

It's out for 3DS, WiiU and Steam (3DS and Wii U aren't out yet in Europe tho)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:09:28 PM by Molten_ » Logged

MrBones
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »

It's out for 3DS, WiiU and Steam (Only Steam if you're Europe)

No, it's out in America too on Steam.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:26:21 PM »

I think he meant if you live in Europe Steam is your only option.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »

Yeah Facepalm

I'll edit that real quick.

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:43 AM »

I beat it in one sitting - Didn't get 100% of the collectibles but got most of them - it took about 4.5 hours. It's definitely good though! There's also NG+ so yeah!

I'd definitely recommend it.

Lots of good and interesting level designs, it's a blast to go through.
Kastlo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:24 AM »

I beat it in one sitting - Didn't get 100% of the collectibles but got most of them - it took about 4.5 hours. It's definitely good though! There's also NG+ so yeah!

I'd definitely recommend it.

Lots of good and interesting level designs, it's a blast to go through.

Good! I loved Volgarr the Viking and this seems kinda similar, even if the mechanichs are quite different (more..."ducktales"-y?).

Venomlemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »

Shovel Knight's one of those rare pixel art games that gets me really excited. Now I just have to decide whether to purchase it on 3ds, Wii u or PC. Hmmmm.

Yo, stalk me on Twittter
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »

I'm really impressed at how well done this is, for a retro style game it avoids the pitfall of being excessively hard because "that's how old games are!", the music is fantastic, the whole thing feels like it would be at home on an actual NES. It's just an absolute joy to play. Very impressed.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

I got it on 3DS, I feel it fits the system better. Being able to hot-swap items from the bottom screen is also nice.

I am really enjoying the game, especially since it borrows a few mechanics from Dark Souls and gives me the same feeling after beating one of the bosses (after which you rest at a bonfire... so awesome.) I also instantly recognized that Virt composed the awesome soundtrack.

The most frustrating bits are the ones with tricky platforming.  But it does have a Dark Souls-like effect where you come back from the checkpoint knowing more about the area and ready to re-grab your gold back.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:10:38 AM »

Its literally nothing. Don't waste the 15 bucks.

gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »

It looks great, it gets great reviews, everyone else seems to think it's great; care to elaborate?
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:34:06 AM »

It looks great, it gets great reviews, everyone else seems to think it's great; care to elaborate?

The game already exists as one of the 100 Castelvania games. It does nothing new, or better, than any other action platformer game. It is, if nothing else, a "good" game but only because it has already been a good game for the last 20 years.

It is a nostalgia bomb and is best viewed through rosy red glasses. Otherwise its just the same stuff you've been playing forever. Which is what people like for some reason.

MrBones
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:13 AM »

To be honest, I completely agree with this. This was one of the biggest disappointments I've played in awhile.
moppin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »

I absolutely loved it! The game was really fun with just the right challenge. And the soundtrack is amazing!
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »

Actually, it has better level design/more polish then most of the other action platformers, even if you compare it with NES-era or recent indie stuff. Sure, there are nothing really new, and there tons of similar games, but it does almost everything better then most of those games, and if you're not tired with the genre already, I think it should feel fresh.

gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »

The game already exists as one of the 100 Castelvania games. It does nothing new, or better, than any other action platformer game. It is, if nothing else, a "good" game but only because it has already been a good game for the last 20 years.

It is a nostalgia bomb and is best viewed through rosy red glasses. Otherwise its just the same stuff you've been playing forever. Which is what people like for some reason.
That's a good point.  I guess it really depends on what you want.  I haven't played it, I was mostly just wondering why you didn't like it.
The Sloth Jesus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »

but it's fun  Shrug
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:20 PM »

Sometimes it's enjoyable to just play a game that doesn't really do anything new, but plays perfectly. I find now with so many games trying to push the boundaries of the medium, it's rarer to play a game that is novel whilst also being mechanically perfect. A few examples I can think of would be Shovel Knight, Offspring Fling, Love, Hydorah, Trials Fusion, New Super Mario Bros, etc where the gameplay is fairly samey but perfectly executed.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »

Starting out I would have agreed with Rabbit because it didn't really feel all that unique, but I haven't played platformers in a while so I felt the challenge was satisfying and the bosses fun to figure out. I'm hoping it doesn't get too repetitive though after the halfway mark. It does feel like it's going to be Super Meat Boy-levels of fun to master as I go for the achievements too especially the speed run one which no one seems to have.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 05:12:12 AM »

but it's fun  Shrug

Whoa now. I wouldn't go sayin that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic