Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:46:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesShovel Knight Is Out
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Shovel Knight Is Out  (Read 12251 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »

PC Advantages: Larger screen, Steam achievements, etc.

3DS Advantages: Crisp graphics, 3D effect (don't really use it much though, I think my glasses mess up the effect), hot swap items from bottom screen, faster buttons.

Are crisp graphics not available on PC?

The main reason I picked it up on PC is so I could play it with a controller. The 3DS hurts my baby hands. ):

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:15 PM »

I really like it on 3DS cuz when I get frustrated I can just close it and come back later and be right where I was.

For how much I like them, I'm really bad at video games.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »

I really like it on 3DS cuz when I get frustrated I can just close it and come back later and be right where I was.

I know what you mean. I push ALT F4 a lot. A lot.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »

ok, sounds like PC is the way to go. i think can live w/o touchscreen inventory management. thanks guys  Smiley
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 11:00:15 PM »

I've had a much easier time with games ever since I took a Remedial Gaming adult education class a couple of years back. It's something you should consider for yourself.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »

just bought this shit. IT BETTER BE AS GOOD AS U GUYS SAY IT IS!!!!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »

I've had a much easier time with games ever since I took a Remedial Gaming adult education class a couple of years back. It's something you should consider for yourself.
I would take that.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »

so yeah this gam is basically capcom ducktales + zelda 2 + castlevania. its good i like it.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2014, 06:03:36 AM »

Just finished it and it's amazing how you can see the Mega Man, Castlevania and others influences, but it still feels like something completely new. My favorite game of this year along with Super Time Force. Smiley

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »

I don't think it's anything really "new", but it does stand on its own despite obvious influences which is cool. I also like that it legitimately plays like an old game and not like a romhack (as so many "hardcore" indie platformers do).

Level design seems good and varied so far (played 4 regular stages and 1 bonus one) and "flows" nicely. A game with long stages like this really needs a suspend function tho imo. Checkpoint and death mechanics are neat and checkpoints are well placed.

Graphics are a little hit & miss as pointed out by Derek but they look good to my plebeian eyes. The music is well made but I don't find it particularly memorable, it's just a pleasant tapestry of chiptunes.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2014, 02:50:49 PM »

I think he meant "new" as in "feels like its own thing", not as being innovative or something like that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »

o right
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »

There were spots where I thought the pixel art was absolutely outstanding, such as those nice murals at the beginning of the game, the bonfire / shield knight scenes and boss deaths.

I feel like the artist for this game is more comfortable with large-scale pixel art because the backgrounds and larger enemies were handled much better than the level geometry.

In a way it kind of reminds me of Super Mario World, individual parts of the game look really bad when separated, but it all comes together really well.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »

I really liked this game; I think Rabbit and some of you guys are a little harsh on it to be honest. However, I do agree with some of this stuff - I think they could have done some facets better.
I got it on PC and don't regret it, but I think it would work well on 3DS too (I used an xbox controller so it might be tedious on keyboard).
I thought it was frustrating the way you could easily win most combat but died instantly from falling down almost any hole - this was noticeable in the final boss where I could easily handle the combat but kept dying from falling right at the end.
I agree that they made the pogo stick thing overpowered, you could spam it against basically every enemy and boss, and when combined with Dynamo Armour (high powered sword attack after pogo-ing twice) it made everything a bit too easy.
The ichors from the fish pond kind of broke the game for me, I beat most late game bosses without dying from health loss using them as you could just instantly restore all your health and mana...
I loved the general aesthetic, and how they kept to the NES's limitations on the most part, but occasionally abandoned them to make the game better.
Wonderful music, and I like how they used the original software.
I have Strike The Earth stuck in my head SO BADLY, and I love the campfire music (the whole campfire sequence in general)

Generally a pretty good game imo, if a little frustrating in some places and too easy in others.

Surely I'm not the only one who gets strong Big Daddy vibes from Treasure Knight?

inb4 hate

So long and thanks for all the pi
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »

Homie, you die instantly falling down pits in mario, etc
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »

treasure knight stage was the most annoying so far. its always the water levels huh.

also boss fights have all been pretty underwhelming tbh.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2014, 05:01:51 PM »

That miniboss tho Durr...?

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »

Homie, you die instantly falling down pits in mario, etc

meh it doesn't seem anything like as frustrating in mario
heck you die instantly from anything in meat boy or hotline miami and that's not frustrating usually...
maybe it's the annoying respawn cutscene?
probably just me being a puny casual

So long and thanks for all the pi
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2014, 05:57:25 AM »

its because the jumping is sorta janky

where as the jumping in mario is really good

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »

No, in Mario you have floaty physics which make complex platforming much more accessible.

Shovel Knight is more like Mega Man when it comes to jumping physics. Not bad just different.

Cool

In regards to your complaint Noogai03, maybe it's the implications of death in this game that you find frustrating?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic