Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:11:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesShovel Knight Is Out
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Shovel Knight Is Out  (Read 12240 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »

isnt that what i just said

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2014, 06:03:26 AM »

No, in Mario you have floaty physics which make complex platforming much more accessible.

Shovel Knight is more like Mega Man when it comes to jumping physics. Not bad just different.

Cool

In regards to your complaint Noogai03, maybe it's the implications of death in this game that you find frustrating?

initially i found the lack of a penalty (you can collect the gold again) pretty nice, but it's the way they make you watch a whole cutscene and then repeat the whole tedious chunk of level that annoys me (as well as making you get the gold back, it's less frustrating with the special armour that reduces this)

So long and thanks for all the pi
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 12:50:51 AM »

... cutscene?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2014, 04:27:44 AM »

i think he means the "RECOVER!" thing shown when you die which i agree could be a little faster.
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »

i think he means the "RECOVER!" thing shown when you die which i agree could be a little faster.

yeah, that's what i meant, sorry to be vague  Embarrassed

So long and thanks for all the pi
ChoinHeap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »

Haven't even finished it because I feel like I could just go back to Ninja Gaiden 2 and beat that instead (and then NG3). I'm not a hardcore person but when a game is too easy, it's just too easy. In Megaman you had to be constantly jumping or sliding to even survive a mini boss. But shovel knight just lets you stand at a spot to live forever, then you can assess and kill without ever getting hit. The bosses required no thought and I just held down for victory. I'm sure the last boss will rank up in terms of having meaningful pattern recognition but I feel by then Zelda 2 would have you crying on the floor.

I am probably not alone in this camp. However it does make me wonder why I found Kirby Superstar to be enjoyable despite being easy. Maybe it's the spectrum of charm/difficulty that shovel knight can't leave a mark on.
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »

But shovel knight just lets you stand at a spot to live forever, then you can assess and kill without ever getting hit.

That makes me think twice before buying it.  Thanks for your review. 

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2014, 07:09:14 AM »

But shovel knight just lets you stand at a spot to live forever, then you can assess and kill without ever getting hit.
On which boss(es)?
ChoinHeap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2014, 11:37:02 PM »

On which boss(es)?

I can only remember the gryphon one where he shoots a ball in a zigzag pattern but there's an definite safe zone. And maybe that one in the mole knight level? Overall a lot of mid level bosses don't have much pressure.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:47 AM »

On which boss(es)?

I can only remember the gryphon one where he shoots a ball in a zigzag pattern but there's an definite safe zone. And maybe that one in the mole knight level? Overall a lot of mid level bosses don't have much pressure.
Oh, now I saw you said "mini boss"  Embarrassed

Well, I agree he has a safe zone but that is just to teach you the enemy. In the second-to-last level, that enemy shows up again with tons of other obstacles in combination. I'd consider that one more a killable obstacle than an enemy.
gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »

This is a minor issue, but I'm annoyed at how the movement in the game doesn't line up with the pixels.  It breaks the NES feel for me and just generally looks strange.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »

That makes me think twice before buying it.  Thanks for your review.  

That is only one enemy, in one level in the game. In every other boss I don't remember a time where there was any "safe zone".

The game was pretty hard for me. In fact you can make it even harder by breaking checkpoints in exchange for cash. Overall I'd say it would be difficult for the average gamer.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2014, 05:28:21 AM »

I'm thinking about picking it up, but should I wait for a steam sale?

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »

It's more than worth regular price, but if you don't feel like playing it right now, then it will probably go on sale sometime.

Not to mention if you wait you will get all the added Kickstarter stretch goals like the "play as other characters" modes.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »

It's more than worth regular price, but if you don't feel like playing it right now, then it will probably go on sale sometime.

Not to mention if you wait you will get all the added Kickstarter stretch goals like the "play as other characters" modes.
Alright man, I'll probably hold off in that case. Thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic