Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:31:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid WorkNeed OpenGL Coder for 2D Game Lighting
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need OpenGL Coder for 2D Game Lighting  (Read 1882 times)
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »

[compensation: Pay per hours or as a lump sum, negotiable. Please provide estimate]

I'm looking for an OpenGL coder who can create lighting for a two dimensional game. The game is from a "side scrolling" perspective and needs configurable ambient lighting. It also needs light points for explosions, street lamps, etc.. Finally, It also requires a darker, shadowy area wherever there isn't lighting that the player can see through, but gives a sense that the area is isn't lit.

From what I imagine there are four elements here that need to be implemented.
1. An ambient, colored glow per map: for example an overall red hue or neon green glow.
2. Translucent shading where there are no light sources, preferably that has a configurable gradient, but definitely provides only partial visibility.
3. The ground needs to be dimly lit across the entire playfield to allow for visibility.
4. Light sources for buildings, explosions, the glow of machines, fire, glowing shields, gunfire, etc. that can be short in duration or can follow units.

Overall, I think subtler will be better for the lighting/shading, but it should definitely look polished. After the lighting has been implemented, I'll create hooks to configure and tweak the lighting system using INI files per map.

Here is the game that needs lighting:

The job itself is personally funded, and it's a one-off, programming gig but the price is negotiable for whatever you think is fair--considering the time and effort needed. Strong communication skills are preferable since I'd like to get the job finished on the first attempt; there will probably be a bit of back and forth to make sure we're on the same page before anything is agreed. Definitely a plus if you have a sense for aesthetic flair.

Also, I work full-time as a Software Engineer, so don't be discouraged if I don't respond immediately. And, since I'm paying out of pocket, I'd like to go over your plan before I feel comfortable hiring you, locking down the gig, and having any work started.

To get a sense of what I'm looking for, here's an example a similar lighting style (from screenshots of the game Tiberian Sun). I think Tiberian Sun can serve as a really close approximation, and a really great great visual cue:

Some technical specifics:
-The GLSL code should support an early version of OpenGL if possible: I.E. OpenGL 1/2.
-The shader system is already in place and currently works. The fragment and vertex shaders just need to be written to make the lighting work and look pretty.
-The GLSL will operate in conjunction with the Java-written game engine using JOGL.
-This needs to be written in an efficient manner that keeps the FPS of the project high, considering there can be hundreds and hundreds of game objects on screen at once.
-Oh yeah, and this will be a remote gig.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:19:59 AM by James Daniello » Logged
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:45:06 AM »

This position is still available.
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:10:38 AM »

you don't need GLSL or shaders for Tiberian Sun "lighting", as it seems to be purely tile-based. i.e., map consists of tiles, each tile can be tinted according to nearby light-sources. the fog of war is implemented on a tile-basis as well. it's an entirely cpu-driven affair.

likewise, even your requirements do not scream "GLSL" or some other complex OpenGL magic to me as well, I think you can do most of that with clever space partitioning, tinting and perhaps some alpha-blended textures. you can, of course, make it a more complex affair, but a simple 2d lighting scheme like this should probably be integrated right into the way the world is drawn.

if you could make the game so far, I am pretty damn sure you should be able to do this final bit yourself as well Smiley
Sushi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »

Hi, is this job still available?
I have lots of experience with OpenGL, I can do it without problems.

Like dancing_dead said, this does not necessarily need shaders. But if your game does not need to support older pcs (gpus pre-shader), then I see no problem using GLSL, actually it will be more straight forward.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic