Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:01:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsA Website with a timeline of all of the Jams!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A Website with a timeline of all of the Jams!  (Read 4072 times)
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

http://www.indiegamejams.com/
I am one of the co-creators of this website! Just figured I'd tell you all about it.
P1xelMonkey
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »

This is really useful! Thanks.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »

Oh hey, I didn't know you were on tigs!  Grin

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »

Did you have some objection to CompoHub?
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »

Did you have some objection to CompoHub?
CompoHub did not ever have all the jams, it rarely had the jams from the other itch.io timeline. This was a bit of an issue when I was looking to record them all.
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:48:30 AM »

Oh hey, I didn't know you were on tigs!  Grin
Hey! When I first started YouTubing, I only got my games from tig Smiley
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »

Anyone else feel like there might be too many jams? I feel there are way too many 'jams happen every week' which is, you know, a bit too much - each jam loses its individuality a bit.

I'm not the only one who will never pause a current project for a jam, right?
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »

Anyone else feel like there might be too many jams? I feel there are way too many 'jams happen every week' which is, you know, a bit too much - each jam loses its individuality a bit.

I'm not the only one who will never pause a current project for a jam, right?
I have to agree, there has been such an increase of weekly/monthly jams - its intense. I feel like that is why some jams have barely any enteries. Most people dont stop current projects for jams.
stigmawall
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 05:18:38 AM »

I don't think this is a trouble, to me I saw it like opportunities.
Sometimes you simply can't join to some scheduled jam you have (have to take your dog to the vet, for example), but you have options to choose in one week.

Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »

But things like Ludum Dare also serve a double purpose of discovering talent.

I guess Ludum Dare is still that, though.
Chad
Level 0

That's me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:54:10 PM »

I wonder how the number of jams has affected the number of people participating in them. I personally hadn't heard of a game jam until a few years ago.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »

if you work for a AAA DevPub like EA or Activision, you're not only actively discouraged from engaging in game jams while employed, even if acting entirely independently or even take out vacation time, it is grounds for termination if anything you make on your own time gets publicly released.

When my Contract with EA expired, that very last day I took to Compohub like a moth to light. Immediately signed up for a 2 Week Game Jam, which many months later I'm still working on, but I was chomping at the bit* for the soonest opportunity possible to join the GameJam scene.

* I finally got to use that phrase, how fun

Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »

I dunno, I guess my problem is that most jams are extremely quick. 8 hours is definitely not enough time to make something even remotely presentable, but things like Ludum Dare take over the weekend space.

Speaking of which, Ludum Dares seem to be wasted effort, there are so many of them it seems like it's impossible to notice. Anyone had any successes with those?
Gwartney21
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »

I really like the site i think its a great way for people to get into the game jams that dong have a any thing local going on or just aren't able to make it to one.
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 12:47:38 AM »

CompoHub did not ever have all the jams, it rarely had the jams from the other itch.io timeline. This was a bit of an issue when I was looking to record them all.
Um... there's actually a lot of GameJolt's and non-itch.io jams on CompoHub. Plus, everyone can add their own jams through GitHub pull requests or via Google Docs form. Bro Fist Left Undecided Bro Fist Right

Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:25 AM »

Um... there's actually a lot of GameJolt's and non-itch.io jams on CompoHub. Plus, everyone can add their own jams through GitHub pull requests or via Google Docs form. Bro Fist Left Undecided Bro Fist Right
And I have used that form, and not seen the jams I requested be put on. And, there were a lot, but many were missing Tongue
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 07:54:34 AM »

I wonder how the number of jams has affected the number of people participating in them. I personally hadn't heard of a game jam until a few years ago.
As far as I see, it seems like some are hit and others are miss. Im not sure if its because there are more that just suck or if there are just toooo many.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 09:09:40 AM »

With your post in mind, I actually decided to take a closer look (as a new person to the Jam scene, this was an interesting thing to research).  It seems like a decent majority of Jams are either run by the average citizen of the internet (meaning, no one will hear about it until it's in-progress (but not famous/well-known either way), and has no real desirable prize stake) or is very very very VERY specific about either A. Tool Requirements ("This is a Unity jam with a Topic!") or B. Content Requirements ("Make the best Boss Battle!" or "Make the best game with these Assets!"). 
While the jam scene is looking pretty crowded when you look a timeline, looking into each Jam will expose that the big players are still going to be the big players and attract the vast majority of attention (and journalism coverage), while the little guys will be undertaken on a Special Interest level almost exclusively.

Substance_G
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »

I recently found the motivation and inspiration to start learning Unity and C# after reading Masters of Doom. Just a few hours ago, I was wondering whether a site like this existed to track all the various online jams.

Can't even tell you how happy I am right now. I'm sleep deprived with a killer headache but I'm not going to bed until I've got a prototype made!  Crazy
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »

I recently found the motivation and inspiration to start learning Unity and C# after reading Masters of Doom. Just a few hours ago, I was wondering whether a site like this existed to track all the various online jams.

Can't even tell you how happy I am right now. I'm sleep deprived with a killer headache but I'm not going to bed until I've got a prototype made!  Crazy

Can't remember if it was mentioned already, but here's another list:  http://itch.io./jams

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic