Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:32:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioA musician's favorite music?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A musician's favorite music?  (Read 2254 times)
medieval
« on: June 29, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »

I'm sure there's something like this in the General forum, but I am curious as to what you guys listen to. What music has inspired you or influences your own compositions? Show your love here! Feel free to write extensively about them, including links and pictures, whatever you fancy. I'll start.
medieval
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »

August Burns Red is my favorite metal band, and it has been for some years. They're absolute masters of the craft. Unequaled. Nearly all of their songs pierce my soul like a dagger does one's back. Give it a listen and be amazed at how technical yet passionate their music is.

Then there's the Knights of the Old Republic OST, which will always have a special place in my heart. Having finished a second playthrough today, the soundtrack reminds me everytime of those magical moments in the game. Some songs are so elegant and beautiful, that they match even some of the movie's themes. Absolute must listen (i mean, PLAY THE GAME)

Bastila Shan theme
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:47:04 PM by narasu » Logged
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »

August Burns Red is my favorite metal band, and it has been for some years.

Man. I freaking love this band. I saw a music video of their song, Your Little Suburbia Is In Ruins, and that was it.
Made it a personal quest to learn how to play it, haha.

As cliche as this sounds, I really do try and listen to everything (yeah, yeah, I know). I don't have a favorite band, artist, genre - Just moments where a particular type of tune'll do.

Recently I've been on an ambient kick. I've had Pandora on repeat, haha, but a good example would be

, by Jonsi and Alex.

I also took the time out to listen to the

. Don't know why - I haven't thought about that movie in a while, and whenever I DO think about it, I never think about the soundtrack. Man, some fantastically epic and diverse creations in that movie!

The other big thing I've been doing is listening to soundtracks from other indie artists. Gives me perspective as to just how many talented individuals are out there. One soundtrack in particular is Dear Esther.

A-ma-zing.

Now that I think about it, a lot of these pieces are ambient-esque...

--
--

Treatment - Absolutely gorgeous. I was NOT expecting the Spanish/Acoustic/Violin section near the middle of the piece. Goes to show just how great a band ABR is. That's one thing I love about ABR - Every inch of it is a surprise. If you could turn classical music into a heavy metal tune, it would sound like them. If you miss one second, you miss a LOT of meaning.

Star Wars had some real atmospheric tracks! I have a friend who played SWOR, and he highly appreciated the music!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:26:45 PM by M4uesviecr » Logged

Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »

atm

spookgoblin
Level 0

Original Music Composition and Sound Design

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »

Dir En Grey

These guys have been around for 17 years and their lineup hasn't changed once.  Their music, however, has seen some fascinating progression over the years.  Once the poster boys for J-rock, these gentlemen have since evolved into a unique organism rife with originality and a passionate disregard for convention.  Though their work is predominantly metal by definition, I find it increasingly difficult to liken their music to any existing work--something which I admire incredibly.

mind.in.a.box

There's something inexplicably captivating about their work--or, perhaps more specifically, the work of their vocalist/producer/composer, Stefan Poiss.  His side project, THYX, carries a lot of the same distinction that mind.in.a.box possesses but each project has their place in the ethos of futurepop.  There is something universally accessible present in both projects.  Perhaps it is the lush, detailed stereo imaging?  The killer vocal effects?  Poiss' expressive, mighty voice?  Whatever it is, I can't get enough of it.

FLA is the brain child of Bill Leeb, ex-Skinny Puppy member.  While all of their work--and there is a LOT of it (18 albums and over 20 singles/LPs)--is memorable, Improvised Electronic Device (2010) is especially near and dear to me.  With this album, Leeb and his cohorts managed to fuse modern electronic with old industrial and just a hint of Neue Deutsche Härte.

Juggernauts in the alternative British music scene during the 80s and 90s, Sisters of Mercy has established itself as staple of that particular cultural movement despite only releasing three full studio albums.  For me, the deep, eclectic baritone of Andrew Eldritch remains unmatched in its tonal particularity.

Munly is perhaps one of the strangest, grimmest, melancholy men to walk the earth.  He is single-handedly responsible for turning me on to Americana (or, to be more specific, the Denver sound).  Munly does not play folk.  He does not play country.  He does not play gothic americana.  He does not play gospel.  He plays ALL of the above, wrapped into one heart-wrenchingly honest package.
amushel
Level 0

Nice jump, human.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:14 PM »

My favorite band has been Opeth for years. Though I listen to a wide swath of music genres at this point, prog rock and its derivatives will always close to my heart. Their discography is varied and consistently great. Mikael Akerfeldt is the best extreme metal vocalist I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot) and he's a great singer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNQjTtVRl8

Game Audio Designer and Composer.
andrewmushel.com | Soundcloud | Twitter
theunicornprincess
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »

My favorite band has been Opeth for years. Though I listen to a wide swath of music genres at this point, prog rock and its derivatives will always close to my heart. Their discography is varied and consistently great. Mikael Akerfeldt is the best extreme metal vocalist I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot) and he's a great singer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNQjTtVRl8

Ahhh! Opeth! I've seen them live 3x and they are flawless performers.

Whiskas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »

I'm glad to see some love for Opeth, they deserve it Beer!

I've been influenced musically by so many bands, I guess the most important ones for me would be

, Broadcast, Converge, Emperor, Katatonia, Leprous, Les Discrets, Leviathan, Melt Banana, The Ocean, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Shining, Slowdive and Wolves in the Throne Room.

I guess Opeth and Pink Floyd don't need any link Tongue

Hope there are some other people here with similar tastes who can maybe introduce me to new bands.
Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:19 AM »

I like LITE. Japanish post-rock instrumental music that sounds sometimes like videogames.

this sounds like in a beach also that is the theme we are doing right now:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41698.0

medieval
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »

Gotta love Pink Floyd.

is one of

almost stereotypically, I listened to a lot of Jimi Hendrix when I started playing the guitar (you know this one though?), as well as Bob Dylan;

these days i like many different things such as Mantis, Nujabes, Bleed the Sky, Noisia and other stuff

Truthfully though, two songs started the entire idea of making music for me:
East Hastings and in the house in a heartbeat

it is undeniable that these two songs influenced me heavily
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:19:48 PM by narasu » Logged
dawid w. mika
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »

Some heavy stuff here Smiley When I was younger I used to listen to a lots of guitar-based music and now I'm a little tired. Anyway, I still like new recordings of Mogwai or This Will Destroy You (if this is still guitar-based music).

Today I'm more into this kind of stuff:

Kangding Ray:

Amiina:

Nils Frahm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLNeZogTsK8

mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »

Its really sad, but I don't get much time to actually LISTEN to music anymore...

has definitely made some of my favorite music ever though.

medieval
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »

Jay Munly

Munly is perhaps one of the strangest, grimmest, melancholy men to walk the earth.  He is single-handedly responsible for turning me on to Americana (or, to be more specific, the Denver sound).  Munly does not play folk.  He does not play country.  He does not play gothic americana.  He does not play gospel.  He plays ALL of the above, wrapped into one heart-wrenchingly honest package.

This guy has an amazing sound, though a bit creepy. But! I'm glad that you posted this! I had apparently not seen this before, but I find it now, just when I was looking for something fresh. It was cool the first time I listened. Now I listen again and it's like something shifted at the core of my emotions. Something I haven't felt for a long time. Jay Munly is a name I won't forget.

Let me dig out some gems from ye ole' treasury box:

Esperanza Spalding
Yasmeen Amina Olya
Estas Tonne
Hanamas
?? Huh? (i don't even know, but it's fuckin amazing)

Also, where's the love for hip hop? There's SO MUCH good stuff out there! Mobb Deep, KRS-One, Brother Ali, A Tribe Called Quest, Immortal Technique, etc..
Audiosprite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 05:54:27 AM »

Jay Munly

dude check out jandek

Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:54:27 AM »

http://www.last.fm/user/chefboyardee

I like power pop, psychedelic, doom, all sorts of shit.

Check out my game

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 04:04:21 AM »

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/1980292_306396689521467_6287592623579919423_o.jpg

Hitrison
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »

A lot of stuff, including anything around me in day-to-day life.  I love field recordings.

https://soundcloud.com/london-sound-survey/raising-of-tower-bridge

spookgoblin
Level 0

Original Music Composition and Sound Design

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 10:35:06 AM »

This guy has an amazing sound, though a bit creepy. But! I'm glad that you posted this! I had apparently not seen this before, but I find it now, just when I was looking for something fresh. It was cool the first time I listened. Now I listen again and it's like something shifted at the core of my emotions. Something I haven't felt for a long time. Jay Munly is a name I won't forget.

I agree with you--there is something hypnotic and inexplicably compelling about this man's brutally honest and immensely dark approach.  Supposedly he never breaks "character" (if it is that at all).  I'm going to watch him and his other band, Slim Cessna's Auto Club, perform in October.  It should be a really unique experience.

Also, yes--Brother Ali Smiley

More great hip-hop:
-Aesop Rock
-Atmosphere
-Die Antwoord
-Hopsin
Marc Truant
Level 0

Dun dun dunn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »

Recently it's been a lot of Flying Lotus and hip-hop, but I really listen to anything. I do love when a soundtrack includes more urban musical influences, however, since it's not something you see too often. I love the orchestrated stuff, don't get me wrong, but there's something very unique about the mood, say, a house or hip-hop track can bring to a soundtrack.

Growing up, a lot of my interest was in hardcore, post-hardcore, some metalcore, and anything along those lines. Still listen to it every now and then, but not nearly as much. Hip-hop has been a constant in my musical development and interest, though.
medieval
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 01:28:51 AM »

Recently it's been a lot of Flying Lotus and hip-hop, but I really listen to anything. I do love when a soundtrack includes more urban musical influences, however, since it's not something you see too often. I love the orchestrated stuff, don't get me wrong, but there's something very unique about the mood, say, a house or hip-hop track can bring to a soundtrack.

you MUST know Afro Samurai

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic