Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:46:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBig Bada Boom
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Big Bada Boom  (Read 1155 times)
Half Hit Points
Level 0

Half full or half empty?

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:40:51 AM »

For the last two weeks I've been pouring all of my creative juices into the making of a game of my very own. An arena shooter where things explode. A lot. And you tend to die. A lot. I decided to name it...

...which should come as no surprise if you read the topic. Anyhow, I've tossed my fledgling game out into the wilds of the internet. Into direct competition with other games. I'm a cruel parent.

You can find it by following the link below.

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/303#.U7K49rEQFo5

Give it a try and, should it tickle your fancy, jot down some feedback.

Is there room for improvement? I don't doubt it! This is the first solo game I've put together in...well...more years than I care to think about. So do your worst! Critique can only stand to make my future design efforts stronger(But, y'know, you don't ~have~ to be mean. Hearing some nice stuff would be plenty neat, too ^_^)

Enjoy!

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »

I really like the overall look of the game. It plays pretty well too. I did have some issues, though.

-The first thing I noticed was that instead of full-screen it seemed to default to a maximized window. It didn't look great, but the main problem came later when I was clicking to shoot at thing and ended up clicking a few pixels too high, causing the window to be pulled away from the top of the screen and un-maximize. Naturally, the sudden change of window size got me killed.

-Maybe it was my imagination, but the game seemed to get harder after I died. By that, I mean it threw the more dangerous enemies at me more often and in larger numbers than it did the first time.

-I didn't really like that enemies could shoot at me from off-screen.

-The control was a bit slippery for me. I slid into enemies a few times while trying to turn around. It's something I'd get used to, I'm sure, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

-I like that new enemy types are introduced fairly quickly.

It's not really a genre I enjoy much, so I probably won't continue playing, but I did think it was pretty fun and well-made.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Half Hit Points
Level 0

Half full or half empty?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:06:54 AM »

Thanks for giving it a play. Glad you liked it Smiley

The maximized window came from my lack of experience with the code for resizing the play window and my running sort on time to get it entered into the contest. Maximizing it was quick and easy and so it came to be. When I get around to retooling it after the judging is over adding different windows sizing options is something I hope to be able to add in.

bitserum
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:46:35 AM »

I really like the look and sound of this. I ended up dying several times halfway through (and many more times through the first quarter of the game). But I really suck at this sort of games so take the following with a grain of salt.

I found dying from explosions to be a bit excessive as I felt there already was plenty of stuff out to get me. Other than that my only beef with the game is that little red guy (the first enemy). He was the most often cause of death for me, due to walking into him randomly, trying to avoid other things.

I didn't notice the game getting harder after death, it felt pretty consistent.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic