Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:20:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(Astauand) - A "Roguelike"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: (Astauand) - A "Roguelike"  (Read 4085 times)
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:50 AM »

So recently I have been working on a project just so I could do something rather than browse Reddit or play video games for hours on end. So I originally decided to make a simple Roguelike in Unity3D. Not hard right? Then after brain storming a little I came up with a few twists that make the game much, much more interesting. The reason why I am creating this tread is because recently I have put off making this game a little too much. I hope that if the development of this game is watched by others I will be a little more motivated to work on it. So please, please yell at me if I am not putting enough effort into this game! I'm going to try to put out a new build every week (Tuesdays?).

(screenshot of cool scene in game to be eventually put here)

Change #1
3D
The whole game will be presented in 3D. Ultimately almost all roguelikes are shown in 2D, and while that's fine switching it up would probably create better aesthetics. I might be able to animate dodge scenes n stuff. I think that would be pretty cool. Albeit I barely know how to use blender and currently the Entities are in 2D. So this might change, but I really would like it to not.

Change #2
Setting
The setting is not medieval, rather it is in the future. Most roguelikes have the same monsters and the same skills and the same level types because they have the same setting. Too bland and boring for me. Each of those I get to change and manipulate because its set in the future. It should give you a fresh experience compared to other roguelikes. The actual story is bland though, just like it is for most roguelikes. The story is "The Earth has been abandoned for centuries. Every relic of humanity has sunk into the ground except the tops of the tallest skyscrapers. You're job is to go to the bottom of one and find a relic of humanities past."

Change #3
Movement
I have always found movement in roguelikes to be limiting. I hate going in that space by space way. This "roguelike" lets you move however you want. You can move just about anywhere.

Normal move
Max move

Change #4
Character customization and difficulty
Path of Exile's character customization is arguably the only thing that drives people when playing the game. There are millions of possibilities for your character to be, who doesn't love that? In roguelikes the difficulty pushes people forward. Every decision made could kill you. That makes every decision important and memorable. Id like to capture both in my game. Details of the character customization can be found here:

Other major changes very imporant btw

How levels are generated Based on Tinykeep's generation and also a little vertically stretched

Current build
Build - 04
This game is barely developed whatsoever... It kinda sucks right now, but I am putting it here anyways.

Current list of goals
1. Write details of character customization down
2. Create basic enemy AI

On hold
Put screenshots in - delayed for when there are decent graphics
Video? - ditto

Finally, PLEASE PLEASE YELL AT ME FOR EVERYTHING I AM DOING WRONG. kthnxbai
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:01:03 PM by Dementor561 » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »

Current list of goals:

1. Post to follow, because this sounds pretty cool.
2. Provide feedback on screenshots.
3. Watch video.
4. Play demo.

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »

I think I am satisfied with my main post for now...
I'm going to go get lunch then type out the specifics for character customization.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:18:07 AM »

Okay, I see, I see. Cool. So it's going to be "turn-based" in a sense, but you won't be limited to moving a certain amount per turn - while you're moving, the enemies will be moving or attacking, right? This sounds and looks interesting.

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:20:35 AM »

No, not quite. You will get turns and in those turns you have a certain amount of "time". Every action you take, whether moving, attacking, drinking potions, or picking up an item takes some of the time. Then the enemy does the same thing, then you, etc.

The reason why I have the line based/go max is so if you want to use up exactly the rest of your time you can do so.

I tried writing up the character customization, but I have sooo many ideas for it, and before I even do that I need to write down the specifics of combat. So combat -> character customization.

My idea for the win condition per level is this: you are taken down levels through elevators. However since this is set waaaaay in the future the elevator breaks down nearly every floor. On each floor you need to find elevator parts or energy or something to make the elevator work again.

Edit: And I really, really need a name for the game.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:21:34 AM »

The game itself is pretty conceptually simple, but the plot gives you some leeway.

Earthscraper? Spiral? Descent Into Humanity?

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »

You are going down a skyscraper which has sunk underground to the point where only the top floor is above ground.

New update, added an inventory and a "win" mechanic. Find the blue thingy.

Edit: Tomorrow I plan to implement going up/down levels, and an actual elevator. It shouldn't be all that hard, I might be able to implement a very simple AI within that timespan.
Edit 2: I actually have a constrained time schedule so maybe not.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:31:26 PM by Dementor561 » Logged
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:21:41 AM »

Ok, so I'm on to working today. I might even try to make some better graphics
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »

I don't want to appear like I'm triple posting just for more views, but I gotta show to everyone that the update that I somehow remembered to upload to Dropbox yesterday but not to post is here. Its nothing big.
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:11:22 AM »

Eh, nobody is interested in this project. I'm not doing it to sell or to be famous, I'm doing this project to help with my self discipline and other reasons so I guess it doesn't matter to me that much.

In the new update I just fixed a bunch of major bugs that I didn't get last time.
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »

don't be discouraged so easily. there are more eyes here than you think.

(I wonder if hidden observers motivate as much as vocal ones...)
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »

Thanks, I didn't really think about that.

I think I have decided on a name: Astauand

It is going to be the artifact thingy you are trying to recover. I'm not sure about the new cover/banner I made so anyone please tell me is you like the slash in between the a thingy or not.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »

^ Interesting name. I read it originally as "Astound", but then I saw the exra A, so is it pronounced "As-tow-wand"?

The slash in the graphic's not bad, but it's kinda weirdly placed. If you could slice an entire letter, it might work. Maybe align the slash on the same angle as the A, and put it right next to it. But that doesn't really matter - focus on the game first and fore-most.

As for nobody posting, to be brutally honest, you don't have a whole lot of info here. There's no real screenshots or concept art, and no indication of what visual style you're going for. The description of your game is kind of weak, too - i.e. what kind of rogue-like will it be, other than being in 3D? Will it be overhead? Behind the back? And so forth. You've gotta grab peoples' attentions!

I tried out the demo build, and it's just a proof-of-concept mainly at this stage showing some GUI processes and basic movement around, but it does show how the game will play in 3D (overhead). Why not put a screenshot of that here?

Perhaps a shot of the art style you're going for, and a pic of the current revision of the player model or sprite that you've got so far? Are you doing all of the art yourself? How do you plan on doing it (i.e. using Blender, 3DS Max, Maya, etc)? Are you doing the sound and music yourself?

What about a more technical write-up on how you plan to handle the specifics of the rogue-like genre - how your game will differ from other rogue-likes out there apart from planned aesthetics? Are you going to have leveling and experience, or will it be more organic (where you don't really notice leveling up or growing stronger in stages)? What is different about going underground as opposed to other environment - what kind of enemies and hazards you'll face?

Posting more information overall to sink your teeth into would help, I think.

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »

You're right. You gotta understand though, one major reason I am doing this is to fix my discipline issues. This is for me. I knew it would be pretty bad when I started, and in six months or so it should be much, much better. In fact I'm going to force myself tomorrow to do a bunch of the things you have said. By Friday Ill have a video outlining my plans.

I pronounce it A-stau-and.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:40:53 PM by Dementor561 » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »

Cool, just wanted to give you a hint as to why others may not be interested in the project so far. Whatever helps you to keep up momentum (that's obviously not harmful to yourself or others) is good.

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »

I tried to do some of what you said, but honestly at this point I don't know about the art style and stuff like that. I guess I will be using blender to create models, but I'm terrible at any kind of art myself so I might get someone else to do it. I did put a link to how movement worked a while ago. If anything I might go for a "minimalist" style because of my limitations. It would be more like the kind of art in the original roguelikes, where any art that is there is only for the point of getting information to the player. For now, until I get into an alpha I'm going to stick with what I have.

However, I can give some information about what kind of roguelike it will be. Ill do that now.

edit: I think I'm just going to put it in the video because I'm better at speaking than writing and people have longer attention spans listening than reading. Plus it will give me a chance to show the game a bit. I have to wait a while to do it though, I need to get my mic.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:20:58 AM by Dementor561 » Logged
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »

plenty of devlogs have grown from humble origins. once some info and pictures start rolling in, you'll see more vocal attention, just like SolarLune said. that is, of course, provided that you're not doing another physics puzzle platformer (no offense to those who are actually making good ones).
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 08:02:55 AM »

Today I am going to solidify the damage system and other things.

Each attack can contain multiple "damage".
A damage(I cant think of a better name now) has a damage type(Bladed, Gun, Technological) and a specialty type(Normal, Chemical, Electronic, Biological).

Each damage type and specialty type have their own bonus:
Bladed: Does more damage than the other types
Gun: Usually is used from a distance so some damage from enemies can be avoided
Technological: Makes the special type more powerful

Normal: Chance of a critical strike increased
Chemical: Usually AOE attack (Includes fire, usually based on releasing a substance into the air that does damage somehow)
Electronic: Usually automates somehow (ex: machines built into bullets that damage the enemy over time, taking control of machines)
Biological: Can add lasting status ailments depending on the move, usually poison like

Each character has hp in either the form of armor or body. Both are based on what the character is wearing and what build choices have been made. Armor does not regenerate(except in special circumstances and through healing at a vending machine, or using scrap to fix it) but adds a very large amount to the health pool, while body regenerates quickly but adds little to the total health pool.

Builds:

I want each character in this game to be extremely customizable and feel unique however I don't want every single build possibility to work. I want each and everyone good build to require some thought put into it; If a computer made random choices for the build it would almost always be terrible. A good game that isn't based on reflexes makes the player think through his decisions (Ex: Portal 2, Civilization, FTL). The player needs to think about his build less it becomes horrible.
Right now I am not quite sure of how to accomplish this though. I will think of this soon though.

Decisions:

The decisions in this game will be "What should my build be like", "What is the best way to eliminate this enemy", and "Which choice should I take"? The latter of which I have stolen from another "Roguelike", FTL. There are going to be text based decisions that can make or break your game. You might have to choose between getting more scrap or gold, taking Electrical or Chemical damage or other things. There is one thing I need to take into account with these choices each side should have a somewhat compelling argument for taking. This way the player, will have to think somewhat even if it is only for five seconds.

Advancement systems:

You can either upgrade your character through purchases or using scrap. Since your character's strength comes from technology, scrap is the equivalent of experience points. Your character can use it to upgrade himself. Most enemies should drop some. They also might drop gold which you can use to buy better equipment. Enemies will drop some equipment but it will usually not be very good. You need to purchase equipment if you ever want anything good.
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »

Added a basic version of decision making into the game, click on the elevator box without the blue thingy and you will see it. XML is used to create these decisions so I can easily modify it if I want. 
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »

Vacation for a week. No updates for a while.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic