Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:39:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Bonesaw Hills [DONE]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Bonesaw Hills [DONE]  (Read 22929 times)
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »

Ok, for a change from animating GK I decided that a new stage design is in order.
Since we don't know if we even will granted permission to use the Outer Wall, I thought it might be a good idea to work on a level that is associated with an already permitted and (partially) implemented character.

Also someone (Xerus?) already wrote up a pretty good description of what the stage should look like:

The stage is not based on any particular area of Bonesaw, but includes two of Bonesaw's most memorable features: Bomb blocks and cannons. The layout of the stage is fairly simple - a wide, flat, solid platform with sheer drops on either side, with two drop-through platforms in the air above it. On the far left and far right of the stage, and at roughly the same height as the two drop-through platforms, are two more platforms, both fairly thick, which just poke in the edges. These platforms cannot be accessed by players because all the space on them is taken up by cannons.

Positioned at intervals on the ground platform are three bomb blocks. Like in Bonesaw, these blocks explode when hit, but do not deal damage - instead, they transform the landscape in some way. The bomb blocks are not solid and can be walked through. The left and right bomb blocks, when hit, will destroy the right and left floating platforms, respectively (i.e. they destroy the one on the opposite side to them). The central bomb block will create a new floating drop-through platform, in the center of the stage and above the other two floating platforms.
After a while, each platform will revert to its original state. Some time after that, the bomb block connected to that platform will also appear again. However, the bomb blocks do not always reappear in the same place - there is a 50% chance they will reappear in a secondary location. The secondary locations for the left and right bomb blocks are on the cannon platforms, where they may be hit by stray projectiles or determined players. The secondary location for the central bomb block is high in the air above the center of the stage, where it may be hit by aerial combatants.

The cannons appear on top of the platforms at the far sides of the stage and aim inwards. Players who touch the cannons will be hurt and knocked back, preventing them from standing on the cannon platforms. Every 20-30 seconds, one of the cannons, or occasionally both, will fire a bomb into the playing field. The bomb will bounce, and after a certain time, explode. If a player hits the bomb, it will fly through the air  in the direction of the attack, while glowing red. This means that it is primed, and will explode as soon as it hits something. The bomb explosion is unblockable.

If stage hazards are turned off, the bomb blocks will still appear but the cannons and cannon platforms will be gone.

tl;dr: Simple stage, bomb blocks create and destroy platforms, cannons occasionally fire bombs that can be knocked into enemies.

So going by this recipe I came up with a slightly altered version:

As you can see, instead of two pits left and right, there is also one in the middle.
At the beginning of the fight, the left and right gaps are closed by the plattforms marked P1 and P6. The middle gap however, is open.

In plain english plattforms P1, P3 and P6 are visible - P2, P4 and P5 are invisible.

There are three bomb blocks and each has one alternate position.
Upon hitting LB1 (left bomb block 1) plattform P2 is created and P1 is destroyed.
Same thing but mirrored goes for RB1 (right bomb block 1), so P5 is created and P6 is destroyed.

When hitting MB1 (middle bomb block 1) the middle gap is closed by P4 but the top plattform P3 is destroyed.

Once the timer count is over, the original plattforms are restored (respectively destroyed) and there is a 50% chance that each bomb block appears at it's alternate position.
Note that the alternate position of the left bomb block LB2 is on the right side, whereas RB2 is on the left side.
The alternate position of MB1 is way in the air but also centered.

The dotted lines represent the curve of the bombs shot by the canons, but the angle could also be picked at random within a certain segment.

I think this could make for some interesting gameplay and if nobody objects, I would start creating a mockup for it. What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:28:52 PM by Soulliard » Logged

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »

Uhh I think I love you Kovski.  I didn't write the original description, I've been on the sidelines of this project just trying to keep an eye on the Knight.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »

Uhh I think I love you Kovski.  I didn't write the original description, I've been on the sidelines of this project just trying to keep an eye on the Knight.

Aaaw thanks for the love Xerus!  Beer!

Anyway, I made a terrible looking mockup but it explains the mechanic better and also puts everything proportionaly in a better relation. It's a quite large level, but considering that almost every character can double jump as well as add another thrust move and thus can get very far and high, I tried to give enough space to move and fight, as well make it also a bit challenging plattform wise.
It's quite likely things will have to be tweaked though - would be great to be able to test this level with dummy graphics.  Well, hello there!

Clemens Scott
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »

Looks good. Two things:

1- Due to limitations of the camera system, non-scrolling stages can be no larger than 1024x768 pixels. The stage is a little too far on the large side.

2- I would suggest that the disappearing platforms be one-way platforms, not solid ones, to prevent potential glitchiness and make the gameplay smoother.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:08:39 PM »

Ok, here's a 1024x768 version, the proportions are still alright (if not even better), but I'm not sure if it would be better to move down the left and right plattform one unit. Currently the left one can only be reached with a double jump and a move that gives extra vertical thrust.

Also of course all the tiles will be repainted, but for now I used the originals to kind of get a feel for what will go where and what kind of color scheme. If you squint your eyes for blurry vision then you can guess what the final level will look like. Wink

Clemens Scott
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »

This looks great, Kovski! (that was my stage description originally btw, but I'm glad to see you takin' it places.) Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

One thing I would like to say is that I thought of the stage as being symmetrical. I don't have any particular reason for this, other than it might make the bomb blocks a little more intuitive to use. But I think in general a symmetrical stage seems more... professional? Well thought out? I dunno but my first reaction to the third mockup was that it looked as though the platforms had been placed somewhat at random, without much care.

Another thing is the alternate block positions. I know I was the one who said them in the first place but seeing them in the mockup makes me think they are too out of the way. The alt middle block would need someone to be actively trying to hit it, and I don't think many players will bother to waste their time when the stage change is probably not going to have any predictable effect on the outcome of the battle. I don't know exactly where else it could go but somewhere closer. For the alternate left and right bomb blocks, maybe move them just one tile down so they would be hit by projectiles fired horizontally from the top platform.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

I think perfect symmetry is a little bit boring, but yeah, you're right, it's still all a bit jumbled. I guess that's also my way of of "puzzling" myself to the right result.  Grin

I'll try to straighten the whole thing up in the next version. Wink

Clemens Scott
soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:11:50 AM »

That looks really cool, guys. I think adding some movement in the background layer would be cool too, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm referring too here. As long as it's not static I think it could add a lot of excitement.

Also, I'm going to attach the stage music draft to this thread:
http://www.syntesis.org/bank/Indie%20Brawl/joshw-bonesaw-D1.mp3

hi
shig
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »

The whole bomb block thing might get too confusing if the stage isn't symmetrical.

For the alternate left and right bomb blocks, maybe move them just one tile down so they would be hit by projectiles fired horizontally from the top platform.

I completely support this.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »

Progress was going really slow on this. Man, I suck at tile painting.  Lips Sealed
I tried to kind of get a mix between the style of the Outer Wall and the original Bonesaw, and after re-painting each tile at least two times, I finally came up with this:

The background is still really shitty and I am unhappy with the transition between the lower and the upper part. Of course it's all work in progress, but still...
Also I'm not sure if it doesn't get too cave-like and thus loose connection to the original, because there the cave parts are as far as I know always quite sepparated from the open area parts. I tried to capture both in one, but I'm not sure, if it even works.

Also the whole layout of the plattforms still isn't right - as you can see I went for the symmetrical variation as you guys suggested and it does indeed work better, but still the gaps are too big (at least the middle one) or the whole thing is too wide.. heck, i don't know, it's still kinda messed up. To get a better perspective on how the level may look in different stages, here's a shot:

But it should be possible to build a decent level with the tiles, so if anybody wants to give it a try you are more than welcome.

On another note, I have to get back to work tomorrow, which means I have to retreat myself a bit more again (as much as I would like to work full-time on this). I will try to check back as often as possible and do stuff here and there, but don't expect too much. Wink
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:11:35 PM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »

Sexy tiles.

I think your problem is that, for example, the upper middle platform is 8 tiles wide.
Since you need to place the bomb block which is 1 tile wide, you can't place it "in the middle".

I'd recommend 7 or 9 tiles there instead of 8. Smiley
godsavant
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »

Those are some excellent tiles, my friend.

This man must be named a Pixelhead. It is his birthright and destiny.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 06:46:06 AM »

Seconded.

Kovski, could you send me a version without any characters, bomb blocks or disappearing platforms?

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:55:18 AM »

Seconded.
If I say one thing on the whole indie brawl dev threads, may it be this:

Thirded.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:46:19 AM »

Wow, thanks! I would feeld honored carrying a TIGSource title, but I'm just a padawan still trying to learn to handle the force of the pixel. Wink
I'm happy for the possibility to contribute something people like and being able to learn so much in the progress. The gained experience and the occasional supportive comment is reward enough.  Giggle

Kovski, could you send me a version without any characters, bomb blocks or disappearing platforms?

Sure, will do!

That looks really cool, guys. I think adding some movement in the background layer would be cool too, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm referring too here. As long as it's not static I think it could add a lot of excitement.

Also, I'm going to attach the stage music draft to this thread:
http://www.syntesis.org/bank/Indie%20Brawl/joshw-bonesaw-D1.mp3

Sorry I missed you before - thanks for the comment! I think the movement will be resolved by having some sort of parallax scrolling in the hills as well as the cave maybe.

Thanks for the nice music by the way. I'm just wondering at which part of the game the original song is played? Personally, I'd kind of prefer a remix of the main theme, because musically you'd probably make the association to Bonesaw the most obvious.
Also imagining the stage and the kind of cute characters the track is almost a bit too agressive with all that electric guitar sounds in it. IMHO the last third or so of the track fits better, because the music is a bit more subtile.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:26:19 PM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »

Just couldn't resist:

Clemens Scott
godsavant
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »

Just couldn't resist:

You don't have to.  Kiss
shig
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 04:18:01 PM »

oh my god kovski

oh my god Kiss
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 04:41:41 PM »

That is a beautiful cannon.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 07:35:20 AM »

Oh GAAWWwwd I can't even look at the original Bonesaw graphics anymore now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic