Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:09:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHecticube - Just Launched for iOS and Android (Sept 9)!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Hecticube - Just Launched for iOS and Android (Sept 9)!  (Read 7513 times)
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »

Hecticube is a hectic, minimalistic, sports action-arcade experience.

It's an explosive new take on familiar games we know and love. It places you in a fast-paced multiplayer arena that will put your focus, speed, and dexterity to the test. Players shoot the ball to hit the opponent's goal. With every impact, the goal shrinks. Each goal has a maximum number of hits before it completely diminishes and the game is over.

I'll be updating this topic mostly with game builds and screenshots, and also utilize it to communicate with you guys. Most of my thoughts and other organic DevLog stuff however will be over at my blog.

Looking forward to getting feedback from you guys!

Release Trailer

Update: 9/9/2015

HECTICUBE LAUNCHED! HECTICUBE LAUNCHED!!! It's now on iOS and Android.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:29:15 PM by GrahamOfLegend » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »

Any plans for a mobile version? Because this totally looks like it could work as a single screen multiplayer game on iPad

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:02:30 PM »

Hey Christian. I really would love to put it on mobile. I've been thinking about how I would make it control effectively, but I haven't had any big ideas yet. I'm sure an on screen joystick would work, but I want it to feel really intuitive. I'll have to try I guess. Any ideas?

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »

Maybe something where the player's position is at the touch position, and the player follows the finger around?  Shrug

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »

Hey Christian. I really would love to put it on mobile. I've been thinking about how I would make it control effectively, but I haven't had any big ideas yet. I'm sure an on screen joystick would work, but I want it to feel really intuitive. I'll have to try I guess. Any ideas?
Have you played any shmups on mobile? One common control scheme is relative touch. Essentially, you can touch/swipe anywhere on the screen to move your ship. Maybe something like that could work here, with each person having half the screen to swipe and drag their player around.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »

@Slader16 - I could try that Smiley.

@Christian - I'm assuming that both you and Slader16 are suggesting the same thing. All the shmups I've played have a button overlay, so I figured that that's how most of them play.

I'm still fresh and green on the development side of Indie Gaming, so I'm definitely just winging it here. I'll definitely look into that style of controls though. I'd love for it to be on Android tabs and iPad. Thanks guys!

Otherwise, have you tried the current build of it? If so, any feedback/critique?

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:36:14 AM »

i have no friends.

at least, none that ever visit me.

its summer and im lonely.

so, yah, can i get a cpu vs player version XD

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »

@Conner Hah, that's probably the hardest thing in my mind right now. I've been thinking about that more than anything, but idk how to make effective, realistic decision making AI. I'm gonna look into it for sure and try out different things. Wish me luck!  Grin

Rayiner
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »

it looks awesome.
will try it for sure!
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:30:15 AM »

Thanks Rayiner. Let me know what you think!

beeglebug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 04:50:28 AM »

That gameplay gif is totally unrealistic. Brazil 2 - Germany 0? LOL

Wow, I made a football joke. My dad would be so proud.

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 03:58:59 AM »

@beeglebug: LOL! Yeah, I wasn't even thinking when I made that GIF, just wanted to make one. Brazil isn't even my team - Germany is. That game was... it was something else haha.

Rayiner
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:09 AM »

btw is there going to be a bot that you can play with?
it's hard to find some friends to play it with.
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 08:51:35 AM »

btw is there going to be a bot that you can play with?
it's hard to find some friends to play it with.

At first I wanted to have an CPU player, but at this moment I have no idea how to program that. If it was just moving up and down and never had to actually go forward to attack it would have been more manageable, but at the moment it's completely over my head. Right now I'm just working on making it a complete game n then see where I go from there.

Also, I find that this is a common problem with multiplayer only games (like Sports Friends, Towrfall, etc) but when you do have people to play with, it's truly a memorable experience. That's what I want out of this anyway Smiley.

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:59:35 AM »

Hey guys! I finally have a full cycle of the game!

So, this is what's in it so far:

- Game starts.
- Players pick teams.
- Match starts.
- After 10 goals, the game ends.
- Players can play a rematch.

What I would like to add next:

- Ability to go back and change your team.

Once I have that part in, I'll pretty much have the core game done. Also, since the World Cup is over, and my vision for the game has expanded beyond just the World Cup, the game is going to evolve into its own thing. Currently in my head, the final game will have a new name (suggestions are welcomed), original teams (potentially with their own abilities), and varying stages. Also, IF I can figure it out, there will be an AI component. I'd love to figure that out, as I've said before, but that's not the main priority. So many multiplayer-only games have been coming out and everyone is eating em up, so I think that this should be fine for now.

shawnbecktp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »

I really love the aesthetics! The fluidity, art direction and that whistling just comes together so perfectly.  I don't have anyone to play with at the moment so some AI would be great.

The thing I noticed immediately was that the ball curves depending on the angle of your hits. Might be good to exaggerate that a little more for a little bit of chaos Smiley
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »

I really love the aesthetics! The fluidity, art direction and that whistling just comes together so perfectly.  I don't have anyone to play with at the moment so some AI would be great.

The thing I noticed immediately was that the ball curves depending on the angle of your hits. Might be good to exaggerate that a little more for a little bit of chaos Smiley

Thanks Shawn! You and everyone else want AI, jeez. I guess I'll have to make that a priority now. It 100% won't work until I try, right?

As for the curves, I'm still tweaking it, but I agree that it could be nice if it was more exaggerated. We'll see as time goes on Smiley

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »

Looks simple enough to make me wanna try it.
bonus points : I see you included Uruguay. Good job. ( Corny Laugh

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »

Looking good, really love the graphics Smiley
And Belgium is in the game, I'm happy now :D
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »

@alvarop @ndke Haha yeah, that version is the world cup 2014 version (aptly titled World Cuppong), so all 32 world cup teams are in it. I'm working on making it into my own, full experience though, not based on the World Cup. This version will always live somewhere on the net though Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic