Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:04:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTIGForum Devlog Showcase
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: TIGForum Devlog Showcase  (Read 192195 times)
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:18:03 AM »

Hello, TIGForum community. I'm Christian. You may know me from my posts here, or perhaps from my blog Indie Game Enthusiast, or my activity on various forums like Reddit and NeoGAF. I have a passion for indie games and I follow TIGForum practically daily. It's such a fantastic community, and it's just wonderful seeing these projects take shape and coalesce into such compelling unique experiences.

I had been helping Bandreus with the Devlog Magazine, by putting together a list of new and/or regularly updated devlogs to be featured, as well as older devlogs that hadn't been featured yet. I had started helping out in March, and have continued updating the list and keeping track of devlogs here, even after Bandreus went silent back in May.

I always appreciated the idea behind the magazine so I'd like to continue the tradition. I don't have photoshop skills or access to the template, so rather than the old magazine format, this thread will be more of a devlog showcase. The information will be the same as before, but just in regular post format. I was also thinking of trying out some new things to bolster the roundup, such as short Q&As with developers of featured devlogs and checking out the progress of games featured in past issues.

So hopefully the third time's the charm. I do have some experience with similar posts (been doing weekly Screenshot Saturday roundups for the past seven months, maintaining the 2014 Kickstarter thread on NeoGAF, etc.) so my intention is to make the Devlog Showcase a regular feature here.

As for the purpose of the TIGForum Devlog Showcase and how to be featured, here's the link to the original Magazine thread, where you can also find the links to all past issues: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39284.0

Bandreus said it best:
This magazine is an effort to give indie games proper exposure, and lots of work goes into it weekly. While indie games as a whole gained substantial traction in the last few years, lots more needs to be done still! A few indie developers and studios (like Edmund McMillen, Jonathan Blow, Capy, Vlambeer, our own Derek Yui, etc etc) raised to the ranks of indie superstars, but for every indie game hitting jackpot there are tens equally deserving projects which still struggle getting enough (if any) attention.

You deserve the exposure and spotlight for your hard work and I hope I can help with this Devlog Showcase
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:34:40 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »

TIGForum Devlog Showcase #1 (7/2/2014)
I plan to do these on Friday or over the weekend, but since it's July 4th this week, I'm posting this entry earlier
-------
This week, the games featured include:
  • Brigador
  • Heavy Bullets
  • Indie Action
  • Sunset
  • Twin Souls
  • Wings of Saint Nazaire
  • We Need To Go Deeper

Brigador
Devlog | Site | Steam Page | Twitter | IndieDB
Isometric combat with customizable mechs, tanks, and other machines

Heavy Bullets
Devlog | Site | Steam Page | Twitter
Status: Currently in beta, available to purchase, on Early Access
FPS roguelike in abstract neon environments, converse your limited ammo

Indie Action
Devlog | Site
Freeware brawler, play as indie characters like Dishwasher, Iji, and Quote

Sunset
Devlog | Site | Kickstarter | Steam Page | Twitter
Narrative thriller set against the backdrop of a South American revolution

Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows
Devlog | Site | Kickstarter | Twitter | IndieDB
Status: Currently on Kickstarter, at 27% funded with 15 days left
Cel shaded stealth, control the shadows as a mystical assassin

Wings of Saint Nazaire
Devlog | Site | Twitter
Status: Play the alpha here, no release timeframe at the moment
Retro 2D space combat, inspired by X-Wing and Wing Commander

We Need To Go Deeper
Devlog | Site | Steam Greenlight | Twitter | IndieDB
Work together to pilot your submarine, explore the mysterious ocean depths
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:07:06 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:51:21 AM »

Subscribing! I think the short Q&A is a nice thing to do that is text-only, good idea. Also, happy to volunteer for same.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:39:21 AM »

Subscribing! I think the short Q&A is a nice thing to do that is text-only, good idea. Also, happy to volunteer for same.
Well the way I was thinking of doing it was rather than singling out one game, to instead have one question for each game featured. So then each developer has a chance to talk a bit about their game

Also I'll probably only have 7-10 games in a Showcase, compared to the 15+ that would be in the Magazine. Just more manageable that way

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:45:46 AM »

Also I'll probably only have 7-10 games in a Showcase, compared to the 15+ that would be in the Magazine. Just more manageable that way

I joined here shortly before Bandreus picked it up again, and it always seemed like a lot of games per issue. I don't feel like we consistently have 2+ new games per day popping up here that are worth mentioning, so it seemed like if someone did it regularly they would start running out of games after a few months, even figuring that you can circle back around and feature games that have had a bunch of progress.

Also I found it a little overwhelming as a reader: I didn't necessarily get around to all the games that were featured, or even all the ones that looked interesting to me.
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »

Yeah, smaller numbers of games would probably make this much easier to do consistently.

Looking forward to it.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:09:49 AM »

Okay, the first Showcase is up. Tell me what you think of the format, etc.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »

Oh, cool. Posting to follow, yeah.

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »

I'm glad you picked it up again, good work!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 09:08:22 AM »

cool stuff, subscribing

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 09:12:38 AM »

Hey neat! Cool

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »

Lovely, didn't even know half of these games existed.
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »

Thanks for the mention! The QA thing is a great idea, by the way. If you need a bit from us, feel free to message or email me! Glad to see we're in good company as well. I've been looking forward to Sunset for a while now. Keep up the good work!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »

Woah, awesome!

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »

Awesome, as always  Hand Thumbs Up Left

aberrantmike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 11:39:14 AM »

yus!
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 05:09:08 PM »

wow, cool. I hope this makes it more manageable.
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 08:42:46 PM »

I miss Bandreas Sad and when Dom2d would do it too Sad But this is good news!

ps If u look at the old devlog showcases, they weren't incredibly discriminatory. The best projects were on for sure, but it wasn't extremely picky, so don't be afraid about running out of content. Plus there were updates on games when they hit major milestones.

thanks again

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 04:44:42 AM »

Waiting for a few more replies and then I'll post the first Showcase Q&A!

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 05:02:22 AM »

Looks good, thought isn't Wings supposed to be 3D instead of of 2D?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic