Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:06:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFall and Rise [Greenlight!!] Help Out!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Fall and Rise [Greenlight!!] Help Out!!!  (Read 5995 times)
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »

Fall and Rise is now on Steam Greenlight.
Please comment / upvote!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309354337
Update! 13th September 2014! I've been making enemies! There are plenty more where this came from! If the below image doesn't move for you, follow this link: http://eclipsejapan.jp/images/ff.gif

Fall and Rise. @FaRJRPG
Do you love old JRPGs with engaging stories, such as Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross?
Are you sick of indie games with short playtimes? Yeah, me too. That's why our team at http://eclipsejapan.jp/ have been working on Fall and Rise. The story of Akito, a man from earth who has crash-landed in a new world, NovuSekai.

Through this game, experience Akito's journey of redemption through his new surroundings, and explore REAL LOCATIONS in Japan, in Akito's sleep. Areas from Japan researched and drawn in pixel-art by Sam L. Jones. (Including Shinjuku, Tokyo Dome, Harajuku, Akihabara to name a few).

This game features:
- 40 hours + Gameplay (Including side quests, etc.)
- A 90 Minute full orchestral soundtrack by Sam L.Jones @ http://eclipsejapan.jp/ (Twitter: @EclipseMusicJP)
- Ability to wield greatswords, fists, claws, swords, projectile weapons (And throw rocks too!)
- Special classes, including, Mage, Beastmaster and Mech-Expert
- Ability to capture enemies and use them in combat
- Bounty Hunting system for those who want to get the most out of gameplay
- Story, level design and music by @EclipseMusicJP (http://eclipsejapan.jp)
- Art by Jaime @Jaimito_h (Twitter)
- Character Animations by Yohei @Gear3215 (Twitter)
- Over 7 support characters!
- Mini games on a portable device the PORTABLE GAMESTATION (See @RayKunOfficial at twitter!) for those getting bored of the standard gameplay!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:24:20 PM by SamLewisJones » Logged

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:11:35 AM »

So, I think its customary to actually share content in devlogs, so here's something that our pixel artist (TIG Member; Gear) animated for the game. I dont want to share too much all at once, but maybe this will interest people in the upcoming demo video.

(Akito dying)

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:16:55 PM »

Been testing out some of the animations from our pixel artist
The capture rendered to gif oddly but I'm a bit pressed for time so I'll fix it later.
The level is just placeholder art so you can ignore that! The final products are going to be much grander.

Jumping, climbing ladder, running, dying.

<This image has been removed, due to being outdated and shit>
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:17:58 PM by SamLewisJones » Logged

Elzy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »

I like your dying animation. For some reason it makes me laugh. Tongue
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »

I like your dying animation. For some reason it makes me laugh. Tongue

Thanks for the feedback, anything else?  Smiley
If you think that's funny, wait until you see my concept art...  Droop

Elzy
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »

I mean the game sounds cool and all, but there just isn't really enough to see how it will play out yet. Normally I don't fully understand the mechanics in games I make until they are in.

But it looks like it has promise, pretty cool art too.
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 01:26:08 AM »

I mean the game sounds cool and all, but there just isn't really enough to see how it will play out yet. Normally I don't fully understand the mechanics in games I make until they are in.

But it looks like it has promise, pretty cool art too.

Alright! Thanks for your input, looks like I'll have to start sharing more content then  Wink

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 01:40:27 AM »

Looks like you are off to a good start.

I'll say i'm a bit concerned by your feature list there being so specific despite you having only just started though!

Are your double scaling your pixels on the pixel grid? if not i would recommend doing it, because the particles look completely out of place on top of pixel art currently.

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 01:52:34 AM »

Looks like you are off to a good start.

I'll say i'm a bit concerned by your feature list there being so specific despite you having only just started though!

Are your double scaling your pixels on the pixel grid? if not i would recommend doing it, because the particles look completely out of place on top of pixel art currently.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it! These exploding particles however, were just something I made for target practice, and to take health off of the player as a test, so they won't be in the game in this design.

Ah yeah, well most of the mechanics are already programmed, I'm just waiting until I can incorporate the pixel art. The one thing I'm not looking forward to is the level designs... I think my pixel artist might have a lot on his plate with the amount of animations there are, so I might be looking for another pixel artist for the levels.

Thanks for your comment.

I will update with potential face art / expressions for conversations, animations and the first track of the soundtrack next.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 01:58:13 AM »

No worries, I hope everything goes well.

When you say you are worried about level design, do you just mean the tile sets or the actual level designs?

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 02:00:05 AM »

No worries, I hope everything goes well.

When you say you are worried about level design, do you just mean the tile sets or the actual level designs?

Yeah I mean the pixel art mostly. Maybe both though. Haha.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 02:02:43 AM »

Ah yeah.

Well maybe this is unsolicited advice, but i'd recommend getting a simple tile system setup, with examples of every type of tile you would need, and make this your whiteboxing set.

Get it to a point where you can generate levels without worrying about art, and then it becomes a case of making skins for the different worlds. It requires more forward thinking this way, but it is worth it in the long run!

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 02:08:48 AM »

Ah yeah.

Well maybe this is unsolicited advice, but i'd recommend getting a simple tile system setup, with examples of every type of tile you would need, and make this your whiteboxing set.

Get it to a point where you can generate levels without worrying about art, and then it becomes a case of making skins for the different worlds. It requires more forward thinking this way, but it is worth it in the long run!

Will do  Smiley thanks for the advice again! I have an idea of the 7 or so level environments in the demo, it's just getting around to doing them!
I think pixel art for levels can be the make or break point for this kind if game, the atmosphere, the lighting, layers, so I'm not going to take it lightly...

noaqh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 06:36:19 AM »

seems like a fun puzzle to solve... pretty cool

Hope your level designing skill can match your music expertise good sire
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

seems like a fun puzzle to solve... pretty cool

Hope your level designing skill can match your music expertise good sire

Me too. If it doesn't, I'll get someone else to do it  Wink

noaqh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 11:51:50 PM »

well if you want to tie the game into the story don't go to the realm of generic maps( surely you would know what I meant by that) and if so your pixel artist would fill the paper for that
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »

07/07/2014

http://eclipsejapan.jp/ has been updated with a FaR page!
You can fill in the form on the page to get even more exclusive FaR news and updates.
The first 50 people to sign up to the newsletter early will get a code for a 50% DISCOUNT on their purchase of Fall and Rise!

Small Update 1:

Middle: Protagonist
Name: Akito  (彰人;アキト) *Meaning: Clear Man. (Honesty, to make something clear)
Birthday: 30th September, 1990
Planet: Earth

Left: Main Character II
Name: Simply known as 'K' in the beginning.
Birthday: Unknown
Planet: Unknown
[Left image is present day Akito, right image is Akito from flashbacks]

Right: Unknown
Characters who remain unknown in the main characters memory have their faces blurred out.
They may or may not be important characters later on in the story.

Small Update 2:
I am currently drawing face art for menus, possibly for conversations in FaR.

Game Language Update:
For anyone who's interested, this game will also be released with a Japanese Language option, good for those studying Japanese.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:02:16 PM by SamLewisJones » Logged

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 11:52:53 PM »

Ways to beat a tree mini boss...

Thanks for those of you who have signed up for the newsletter and a 50% discount for your first purchase of FaR! There are still places left, so hurry!

http://eclipsejapan.jp/gameFaR.html

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »

Yo, this looks cool! I like Square Enix's older franchises and Kingdom Hearts, so this appeals to me pretty well. Following!

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 04:53:58 PM »

Yo, this looks cool! I like Square Enix's older franchises and Kingdom Hearts, so this appeals to me pretty well. Following!

Thanks for your comment! Yeah, I am aiming to create interesting cutscenes etc, with battles that don't necessarily always follow the rules, for intuitive gameplay. There will be lots of optional side quests which just don't appear to be in games nowadays! These side quests will reward the player well for their dedication to exploring the game, ultimate weapons, accessories and completely new areas will be given to those kinds of people!

Thanks for your support, it's appreciated!
 Smiley

Testing out the Great Sword animation (First hit of 3 hit combo)

Thoughts?
*PS. I am aware there is no idle of him holding the greatsword!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:32:11 PM by SamLewisJones » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic