Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:50:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid Work[PAID] Need TWO original songs for 80's inspired Space Strategy Videogame
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [PAID] Need TWO original songs for 80's inspired Space Strategy Videogame  (Read 2060 times)
PressStart
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »

At Talesay we are developing a Space Strategy Videogame inspired in the 80's pop culture and are looking for a Music Composer to create 2 songs as described below:

1) "Battle Preparations": This song will be used mainly in the "Galaxy Map" screen which shows all opposing factions leaders seated around a "table" where they make their "moves".

Characteristics:
Emotion: Fear, Anxious, Worried
Tempo: Slow (Tense)

2) "Battle": This song will be played during Battle sequences (and the Title Screen). Battles are tactical encounters where the Player's fleet engages in combat with an Enemy fleet by placing ships and other artifacts on a Combat Field. Even though the combat is tactical, it is also fast paced: short battles, real time, many units simultaneously and rapid moving objects.

Characteristics:
Emotion: Anger, Agressive, Hostile
Tempo: Fast

Instruments:

Since the game is inspired in the 80's pop culture, the music MUST have an 80's pop/rock feel,making use of instruments such as:

- 80s electric guitar. See:

- Synthdrums. See: http://youtu.be/IN7wbvipBb0?t=36s.

You can get more General References on the following youtube playlist:

To award this project we will value demonstrable experience in this or similar kind of music.

General Process:

The work will be conducted as this. The composer will have to submit 2 basic/short samples (10-15 segs) testing different base styles for each song. Once done, we will choose one of the samples for each song to construct further and convert it into a full featured song. Once finished, the composer must be available to receive comments, after which a final version must be delivered for each song.

Prize: USD 200-700 (fixed). Plese contact us at [email protected] indicating your fee.

Format:
- Length: each track, 1-2 minutes.
- Tracks must loop.
- Tracks must be delivered on .wav format.
- Songs MUST NOT be Chiptune.

Credits:
- The composer's name will be included in the game's Credits.

Intelectual Property:

Talesay, or its related companies, will be granted the exclusive rights to reproduce, sell and sub-licence the tracks/songs.

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:16 PM »

Hello,

Sounds cool!

Sadly, the last paragraph is a deal-breaker for me - and probably also for other professionals who are able to reproduce the sound you're looking for.

With your small budget (including several feedback loops, as it looks), pro composers will have to ask themselves how they can make an additional profit, especially if your game should go through the roof. The complete buy-out you're asking for pretty much eliminates all opportunities to make more money regardless of what becomes of your project. Furthermore, you would even be granted the right to license the music to other media, quite possibly for a higher price than what you're offering.

I don't want to imply any bad intentions from your side; still, I'd advise fellow composers on here to think this one through before applying with your work samples. This wouldn't be the first time that creatives who contributed greatly to a project's outcome end up with peanuts and no rights to their intellectual property left.

All I'm saying is: You're obviously expecting professional work. You should either pay accordingly or - if that won't fit in your budget - make a compromise when it comes to the licensing model. As it is, the applications you will get will be either from amateurs or unsuspecting young pros.

In any case, you get what you pay for... best of luck!

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
PressStart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »

Dear MoritzPGKatz,

Thanks for your reply and for further clarifying others what that last sentence means. Transparency and trust are really important for us. We value and understand your suggestion and hope others take it into account when freely deciding to participate. Also we are gonna soon upload some concept art for guidance.

Best regards,
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »

We value and understand your suggestion and hope others take it into account when freely deciding to participate.
I would prefer you took it into account!

As it is, the deal you're offering leaves all financial risk to the composer.
Agreed, it's a free country (at least over here, don't know where you're from) and people will either submit their work eagerly or shake their heads in disbelief at what you're asking for.
I guess "supply and demand" is a fitting term for the fact that you'll probably be drowning in submissions regardless of what you take from the table...

Anyway, I've hi-jacked your thread enough.
I just thought it was a shame since I dig cheesy 80's music and working with gung-ho start-ups even if they're on a shoe-lace budget.

Again, best of luck with your project.

Cheers,
Moritz

Ryuno
Level 0

Composer, SFX Designer and audio engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »

I saw this on oDesk and felt the same way as MoritzPGKatz about the last line, which is why I didn't apply to it.

As you implied, now it's up to the composers to decide whether they will contact you or not, but I think me mentioning it might give you some perspective on how that bit is putting off people who work in the field and you might end up missing out on some quality submissions because of that unorthodox clause. Best of luck, regardless.

Teo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »

Email sent. This sounds like a great project!

Pangolin Audio offers professional caliber game music for small and independent game studios as well as bigger budget projects.<br />www.pangolinaudio.com
Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »

I agree with some of the other comments on here.  I was considering sending an application...until I read that last line.  Giving up my right to soundtrack sales and allowing you to then license the song out yourself is giving up way too much for that price.  Sorry man, best of luck with your project.

SamMcAlpine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »

As a professional game composer I have to say that work-for-hire is the industry standard, it's not very often that composers keep the rights to the music (unless the devs are small indies that can't afford the full price). Having said that most professional composers work-for-hire rates are at least double/triple what you are offering as we can make more money from selling the music on iTunes etc.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 11:55:40 PM »

Hello,
As a professional game composer I have to say that work-for-hire is the industry standard, it's not very often that composers keep the rights to the music.
True for the US - only thing is, in most other countries the highly objectionable practice of work-for-hire isn't even legally possible. Intellectual property / copyright can't be transferred except for a few particular cases which don't include music.
On the other hand, at least over here in Germany most corporate devs refuse to work with composers who are part of a performance rights association.

I guess the more indie devs try to make a professional impression, the more they'll want to adopt some of the traits and practices of corporate. Your choice, but you better bring the same dough to the table then...

Cheers,
Moritz

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 10:00:56 PM »

Actually, even if I wanted to sign on this, the countries that govern my country would prevent me...
PressStart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 07:56:48 AM »

Dear All,

Thank you all for your interest and emails but we have already found our composer. Best regards to everyone and hope we can work together in the future!

Francisco
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic