Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:10:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTREASURE STAR
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: TREASURE STAR  (Read 16503 times)
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2014, 01:26:28 AM »

Hey guys.

I just started work on a game you might be interested in.

Unlike previous projects, everything is falling into place like it was meant to be. The idea is about lowering scope as much as possible. I'm taking a step back from high-res art like i usually do because it takes literally 3-5 times as much time to do the animation.

I'm programming this game in MOAI again, but this time using a proper framework instead of making my own.

So far you can think of it as a cross of a RPG missile command, crossed with dragon ball z on a tiny traveling planet made of gold.

Tech wise im rendering everything to a texture and double scaling it with nearest neighbor to actually preserve the pixel grid properly. I'm also constraining rotation angles of sprites.

Which you can see here.
http://i.imgur.com/m2c4xOL.gif?1

Because i am also doing character customisation with 2d art, which is traditionally a BITCH. I am trying to be as smart about it as possible.

The character will be split into 6 animated layers.

Top hair
head
body + front arm
bottom hair
legs
rear arm

and on each one they are all drawn with a specific palette, which i am then going to be using a shader to palette switch each asset via using little 1x4 pixel images to define colours.

I am also constraining the amount of frame i animate, as ever frame i add will mean drawing that same frame 50 times extra. (assuming 50 clothing sets for example)

Attacks are all dragon ball z style so no weapons. But instead will be like laser energy weapons, so maybe like laser ki swords or something. But that just means i don't need to actually animate them on the character and instead are seperate effects.

I also want your little planet called a treasure star to have upgrades, and things you can change about it.

Other things im doing include full localisation to start with. I just started learning japanese, so i thought it would be cool to implement that with what i do here. so i already set up my dynamic string tables and fonts system

Also i started working on the first music track too.
https://soundcloud.com/murry-lancashire-muzz/gunstar

It's only 30 seconds long so far.

If you guys have any questions about gameplay, art music or technical stuff, ask away!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:25:37 AM by Muzz » Logged

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 03:34:51 AM »

Actually i had a really cool idea that people might enjoy today.

I started using big ascii letters to make a contents page for my code, as i program in sublime text2.

It has a mini map on the side, and the ascii letters are actually readable on the minimap. So it kind of works as a way to navigate the code easier.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:07:03 AM »

Just a bit of a text update.

I've spent most of the week implementing this crazy big entity system that will handle everything in the game.

I've also ran across quite a few of neat Lua tricks that are going to come in handy. (Thanks MOAI IRC guys! ps. TIGSOURCE IRC GUYS STINK. My Word!)

most notably lua proxies!

Magical lua proxies.

-- create metatable
local mt = {

__newindex = function (t,k,v)

if t.writing then
           t.writing(k,v)
        end
        t.obj[k] = v   -- update original table
      end
    }

function track (t,writefunction,readingfunction)
    local proxy = {}
    proxy.obj = t
    proxy.writing = writefunction
    proxy.reading = readingfunction
    setmetatable(proxy, mt)
    return proxy
end

This wonderful little bit of code essentially makes a listener that looks at a data table and runs a function when i change something in that data table. Super useful.

That means i can just set something like player.health = 0, and then the listener takes over and deletes the entity, makes the effects and updates the UI elements all at once.

Neat!

-------------------------

For the entity system I'm trying to set it up on a modular way.

A basic entity will consist of the box2D physics, the sprites and a controller.

The controller will take basic input commands which will either be keyboard input or AI input, so theoretically I could control any enemy in the game with one line of code. 
This is all generic as i want to use this stuff for multiple games in the future, and should serve me well as a robust prototyping system.

I'm not going to be directly parenting objects to the box 2d collision. Instead I will just parent the transform and instead drive the rotation through a rounding function so that i can constrain sprite rotations to what ever number of angles i want. It makes things feel snappier and works better for the aesthetic I'm going for.

Anyhow, that's all for tonight. I'll try and get the basic gameplay implemented over the next few days, as it's all going to start coming together really fast once i finish laying this groundwork.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:25:11 AM »

here is a little explanation image while I'm working on backend.

01F0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »

Cool stuff! Smiley
How are you planning to solve the gravity being different in the level (space vs. the planets)?

I played around with a similar game mechanism (a character walking around a planet) myself, so I am curious how you would go about it.
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »

Thanks!

Have you ever played Edmund McMillen's Aether? I really like the mechanic of using objects to launch yourself higher into the atmosphere, and that's essentially how it's going to work here. A lot of enemies will be residing up higher, and so you will need to use weaker enemies as jumping points to hit the higher enemies. It sounds like it will be really hard but i think putting a decent while-e-cyote air wait will help out a lot.

so for gravity it will be really kinda dumb and simple, but those are often the best systems right?

It will simply be a gravity around the TStar, and when you are fighting bosses you are in Zero G with your Tstar waiting to swoop in if the boss flings you off.
If you have ever played Shadow of the colossus you can probably imagine out a fight will play out. I'm thinking that when you are in the hang on state you can aim a direction to jump in a straight line, and then you get your double jump to course correct.

It might be a bit hard to understand right now, but hopefully I'll have the prototype up and running in a web browser later this week.

01F0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »

I see! Yeah, actually, I played through Aether just days ago. :D
I get the picture, interesting. Ah, the SOTC inspired thing will be epic. It's even scarier to be thrown out in space. Looking forward to trying it out. Smiley
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

First pass on the state machine and animation driver.

Taking to long because im such a slow coder.

Platformer code is so much more complex when you have to calculate it in a circle >_<.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 07:08:19 AM »

Turns out i'm actually making an anime intro simulator. Also Licecap bro, You are really letting me down on your recording.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:15 AM »

Ah wow, brings me back to the days of playing "Mohawk and Headphone Jack" on SNES.
This looks impressive, really nice art so far, and looks like it's got the potential to be really fun!
I hope this project goes well! I really like the way you're drawing the characters, the anatomy is pleasing to look at, and they look nice when animated and doing things.
I'd also like to add that I really like the design of the Treasure Star (if that object in the images is in fact the titular star)

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 05:53:49 PM »

Thanks man! i really appreciate that. I was playing your demo last night and it's really sweet and i love what you are doing!

I'm trying to get a HTML host working for Moai today, so that i can share builds on the web with the link Smiley.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »

thank YOU too! And can't wait to see more stuff about your game!

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »

Well i got the engine running in browser.

That's cool i guess.

http://muzzoid.com/www/

Only click play the other menu items do nothing. Like radioactive man's useless goggles. However in play you can change the run speed of the run anim by holding up or down while running.

So that means all the framework stuff is out of the way. Time to actually make this a game!  Hand Joystick

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »

unfortunately, my computer apparently cant play it, and gives me a "WebGL" error every time I try to click the start button. I'll continue looking forward to updates from this game though!

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 06:50:23 PM »

Hmm, what browser + version number are you using?

Don't worry you aren't missing out much yet Tongue. It's more of a tech demo than anything else.

lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:59:06 PM »

Waaagh! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH SO CUTE!! Just got linked to this from your comment! The aesthetic is so adorable! I know stylistically it has nothing to do with The Little Prince, but I'm reminded of it via super tiny rotating planets.
I look forward to seeing more of what you mean by thos DBZ attacks!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Canned Turkey
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 08:03:34 PM »

Love the look so far! If LiceCap wont work for you, try GIFcam.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13:51 AM »

Hmm, what browser + version number are you using?

Don't worry you aren't missing out much yet Tongue. It's more of a tech demo than anything else.

Firefox version 30, I believe? And I understand.

01F0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 02:11:29 AM »

Nice! Just tried it. I really like the feeling in the gravity/movement.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 02:56:11 AM »

I'm not sure why, but this game gives me strong Dragon Ball vibes. Looks great Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic