Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:30:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTREASURE STAR
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: TREASURE STAR  (Read 16515 times)
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »

Thanks, I use photoshop CC. Smiley.

It's a really capable animation program nowadays.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 03:28:43 AM »

GOLD!

Maybe she can now afford to buy some clothes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:35:26 AM by Muzz » Logged

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 03:52:35 AM »

oh goodness, the smooth camera rotation and the "poppy" effects are making me more excited for this game than I already was!
It's like you're making "Mohawk and Headphone Jack", but good! I always get excited when I see this thread has a new update, keep up the great work!

Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2014, 03:59:12 AM »

Those explosion gifs are super great, and the game looks fun too! Looking forward to trying this out!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2014, 04:01:57 AM »

i'm really envious when a dude can do everything. i am envious, dude

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:05 AM »

oh goodness, the smooth camera rotation and the "poppy" effects are making me more excited for this game than I already was!
It's like you're making "Mohawk and Headphone Jack", but good! I always get excited when I see this thread has a new update, keep up the great work!

OMG i just checked out that game. WHAT EVEN IS IT. Hahaha. Kinda interesting. I want to play it now and see if there are any interesting mechanics that actually worked in it.

If nothing else it seems to be a cautionary tale.

Spell! Haha I can program but I recruited an awesome dude called Tyler. I'm enjoying working with a programmer much more and everything is just flowing super smoothly. Which means I'm handling art and design, and he is handling the coding.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2014, 04:34:46 AM »

that does mitigate my sense of dismay at not being able to program in the least

but only

slightly

anyway i'm loving this, reminds me a lot of mighty milky way. it's just as milky

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »

oh don't worry, your game is already leaps and bounds better than the game I mentioned, it's just the only other 2d game I've seen with gravity physics and rotating camera like that

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »

Haha glad to hear it!

We are still going, Making solid progress.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »

Hey this game looks really cool.

How does the direction of gravity and character rotation work? Well, hello there!

Do you determine the direction of gravity based on a centerpoint of the object (rock) you're falling towards? Or is it an angle perpendicular to the line of surface you are above?

Caravan: devlog | website
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »

I CAN PLAY AS A MAGICAL GIRL

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

Thanks!

Gravity is calculated by raycasting to collision points, allowing gravity to work on irregular convex and concave objects, and rotation is calculated off the same data, making the character perpendicular to it.

Thekill can explain it better though.

thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »

Oh yeah I forgot to explain ahah.

Basically Muzz makes an asteroid collision graphic for me. Then I run it through the asteroid vertexer which generates a polygon:

This program calculates all of the outside pixels, then runs around the outside and every 10 pixels creates a vertex.
It then outputs code I can copy and paste into Game Maker.

The actual physics works by calculating the normal for the two closest vertices to the player. Then moves the player in that direction for gravity.

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »

Is this still going? I need those g's. The gravs and the gold. The g-units

Caravan: devlog | website
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 03:57:41 AM »

Is this still going? I need those g's. The gravs and the gold. The g-units

Yep! we're still alive.

We've both been pretty busy lately. Muzz has been working to pay bills and I've been finishing up my high school exams.
Although work has been slow this past couple of weeks it hasn't stopped completely.

The first boss is starting to appear in-game:

While the prototype for this boss is done, it isn't very fun to fight at the moment. It did however give us a good grasp of how the movement and base combat will feel. Now we've started to rewrite him almost from scratch to make the battle more engaging and fun.

Once the boss is done all that's really left to do on the prototype is populate the level and polish everything up.
Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »

Damaged boss.

theKill managed to nail the movement code so things are starting to feel really solid. The changes also removed the sea sick camera problems, so now it is as smooth as butter.

Right now the focus is to make an amazing first level as a demo and release it to the public. Then we will see how it goes from there.

Vitali Kirpu
Level 1

reach your potential

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2014, 05:41:33 AM »

Man... this looks nice! I really love how you can walk on those asteroids Smiley Well done sir, and like others mentioned i do get feel of dbz alittle :D

Working on the game and trying to help others on the way!

If you ever need tips let me know! I will gladly help
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2014, 11:50:21 AM »

Commenting to get updates.

This looks pretty slick man. The DBZ vibe is strong in this, but in a very good way.

slhomme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »

These animations are top notch, and the game looks really fun! Keep up the good work.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2014, 11:47:26 PM »

For whatever reason, the planetoid theme and art style remind me a lot of Bee and Puppycat.  Was that similarity intentional? 

I mean, that's not to put down the current art.  I adore the animations, and your style definitely has a unique, lovable flavor to it.  All told, the project is looking incredible so far!  And kudos to thekill for the stellar-looking work on the engine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic