Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:16:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeath's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Death's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)  (Read 46142 times)
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »

Become the agent of death, and rid this world of immortals.

Hey just posting another reply since we just announced our release date. Deaths's Gambit releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam!

Hey Folks! This is Jean Canellas and I am one of the people working on Death's Gambit. I am a programmer and designer on the project. The team is very excited to start showing off progress as this is a game we wish existed but didn't exist. This is a game that had been in our minds for years ever since we first played the original Demon Souls. There are so many awesome unique features I want to talk about but it's hard to explain them all at once. I'll post about them soon!

DEV LOG UPDATES
VIDEOS

FAQ'S
Q:How long have you been developing this game?
A:Both of us started full time May. The prototype for the game was made in a couple of weeks in December 2012 but nothing came of it back then. We both slowly worked on this since February 2014.
Q:Is Death the main character? Who is the protagonist?
A:The main character becomes the agent of death during the game's story. Death is the most important secondary character but he is not the protagonist.
Q:How do you explore the world?
A:The game is non-linear. Most new areas are accessed via defeating bosses. There are always many routes to take. If you are having trouble with a specific area then you can always do something else.
Q:Will there be randomly generated levels?
A:Nope. There might be some very specific things that are randomly generated but we don't plan on making the levels generate randomly.

Want to become a tester? Check out how on our forum post!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:07:02 PM by somn » Logged

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »

That last gif has a strong Shadow of the Colossus vibe and that's good.
I really like what I'm seeing here; keep up the good work!

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »

This looks absolutely beautiful and I love the premise behind it. Can't wait to see how it develops!

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »

Nice!
I'm guessing climbing a colossus like the post above me mentioned is just one of the puzzles/obstacles or does the game revolve around climbing monsters a bit more?
Also, why does this gif give SoC vibe? Any time someone sees a game where you climb giants, they must immediately mention Shadow of Colossus.  Tongue
BanzaiBrigade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »

Looks absolutely phenomenal. The first an third GIF look great. Really loving the mobile background elements, and the little touches like the birds in the first.

The second GIF however looks a tad bland in comparison to the other two. A single background and foreground, entirely flat floor and nowhere near the quality of the other GIFs. I realise that it's ofcourse very WIP, but it looks out of place considering the quality of the other shots.

Looking forward to hearing about how it'll play.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:14:35 PM by BanzaiBrigade » Logged

BrawlBeast currently on Kickstarter
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 02:44:13 PM »

OH MY GOD  Epileptic

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »

Goliath / Titan? LOVE it! Nice art and animations too. Looking forward to more.

LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »

this is so sexy, holy shit

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »

Nice pixels you got there Hand Thumbs Up Right I dig
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »

Awesome, I was hoping you'd make a devlog about your game. Saw it this morning on Reddit, spread the word on Twitter. Can't wait to see more

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »

woah, I'm excited. gameplay looks awesome.
aberrantmike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:53 AM »

Supercool
Fniss
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »

Nice visuals. Love the color palette. The boss climbing looks awesome. The gif in the tunnel? is rather boring in comparison to the others.
Rolkus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 02:56:31 AM »

Saw this on the Game Maker forums, holy shit bro.  WTF

@rolkus

Crockets!
Break and Enter
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »

Thanks for the compliments! We are really shocked by the positive response and will keep the updates coming as we develop the game. This is a game the we love working on so much it's hard to even sleep to stop developing it XD. I think a lot of your questions will be answered as we show off more of the game in the coming weeks.

Also thanks for the criticism on the art, we are taking notes. We were initially worried about showing it off, we agree the art has ways to go. It will definitely be improving.

KaiserCVR
Level 0

Amateur Artist/Professional Drinker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

Hot damn, that top gif is rad! As a huge Dark Souls fan, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about how that inspiration plays out.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »

Excited and ready for more  Beer!
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

I have often daydreamed of making a game like this for years following SotC, but felt too redundant in my thoughts. Yours has a nice flavor. Good work so far. I look forward to trying it out.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:52 PM »

Stunning... Really just stunning animation. Amazing and not without reminding me of Shadow of Colossus (which is the best compliment you can have I guess!)

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »

UPDATE - REVEAL POSTMORTEM

Hey guys first update! Thanks everyone, the support has been incredible to say the least. We received so many emails we lost count. We've been incredibly busy but we still have found some time to get some work in.

Highlights the last couple of days:

• Sent about 40-50 emails
  • Worked on protyping melee combat
  • Officially made the company "White Rabbit"
  • Worked on two kickstarter trailer shots

• Cried tears of joy and did not sleep

REVEAL POST MORTEM
We did not expect this big of a reaction. We did well in the fact that we had all social media sites covered, press kit, contact info ect. Being active on twitter has also been extremely beneficial for us! I could not reccomend it more to people trying to spread the word out. Now to the mistakes. We didn't post the facebook page due to not thinking the game was ready yet, so that was a big mistake. We did make another mistake on the livestream part. I expected to be able to stream all week but so turns out the reaction was so big we ended up being too busy to stream! I guess that's a good problem to have.

What's the next update?
Next post we'll be showing off this enemy in action and two ranged weapons.

NEW FAQ's
How long have you been developing this game?
Both of us started full time May. The prototype for the game was made in a couple of weeks in December 2012 but nothing came of it back then. We both slowly worked on this since February 2014.
Is Death the main character? Who is the protagonist?
The main character becomes the agent of death during the game's story. Death is the most important secondary character but he is not the protagonist.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic