Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:26:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeath's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Death's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)  (Read 45899 times)
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 11:12:45 PM »

I have a lot of fighting game experience so it may not be relevant, but I'll use that as my guide:

1. Generally yes. Sometimes leave you further away though.
2. It depends.  Some attacks are high risk high reward, some are low risk low reward.  The former should stagger.
3. Uh, typo?  I'm going to assume you meant player with enemies.  It should bounce off or break the enemy guard, depending on the situation.  The former puts your character at a disadvantage.
4. Generally, ranged attacks take more time to setup and/or to reach the enemy.  They may stagger less so be unsafe to use up close.  If you look at Soul Calibur 2's Ivy, she's got good keep out attacks, but isn't that great up close.  I'm not sure if that applies to your game.
5. In fighting game terms, I don't think there's an analogy to this.

1. It seems we are going with what you mentioned. Thing is, enemies in our game do not collide with the player. We'll the shielded enemies do. But most others don't. If the player moves a lot while he attacks he just goes through the enemy and it gets really annoying. We've opted for making attacks stop translating the character once it reaches an enemy. It currently feels the best, but this could change.

2. So far we've opted with your same solution here as well. Enemies will stagger when melee hit. I hope it doesn't break the balance of the game. It's also going to be hard art-wise making stagger look satisfying.

3. We are thinking maybe there is a guard break ability or the player simply has to use some other tool to defeat these enemies.

4. So far it looks like we are going to make melee have the advantage in terms of damage output and more stagger opportunities. It does put you in very dangerous situations. So in that sense, it's high-risk/high-reward vs ranged weapons.

somn, your melee thingy gif isn't working any more. At least on my side. Bandwidth issues?

Hmm I wonder whats causing that. It's working on my end =(

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:57 AM »

The animations look incredible!

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »

The animations look incredible!

Thanks! And we are still in the process of improving our art too. I can't wait to post some of the new stuff =D.

Caravaggi0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 02:38:41 PM »

3. We are thinking maybe there is a guard break ability or the player simply has to use some other tool to defeat these enemies.
Sounds like you could just complete the circle if you also put in a parry system.  And then you can scare everyone by putting in a sword called the Monestary scimitar.  I dare ya.
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 06:15:37 PM »

Sounds like you could just complete the circle if you also put in a parry system.  And then you can scare everyone by putting in a sword called the Monestary scimitar.  I dare ya.

Haha. Well you can currently slash bullets back at enemies which is fun. It doesn't really look very satisfying yet else I would post a gif about it. I sorta want something like parrying in the game except most of the enemies have attacks that aren't melee based. We would have to design at least 60% of the enemies with parry in mind, and that kills a lot of the crazy cool we want to do. We hope bad ass player abilities will make up for not having parry =X

We still might add parry, we'll have to see how the game evolves.

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »

hey great job, Im really loving the concept of this game.

I was looking at some of the gifs..how does the aiming with the gun work? Apologies if this was already explained. Are you generally playing with controller or mouse/kb? Is there a "lock on to enemies"?

Haha. Well you can currently slash bullets back at enemies which is fun.

This idea is fantastic! Ever played Sin and punishment? Will you be aiming your slashed bullets back at enemies with that aiming cursor?

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »

Also, the Facebook link in your OP is linking to your twitter account, fyi.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »

UPDATE - PHOENYX DRAGON + ART EVOLUTION

This week we have finally gone full time on new kickstarter shots.

Art Evolution - If you've seen any of the new screen-shots, most changes should be pretty evident.
  • We are working on the art style which we hope evokes a more modern feel as opposed to retro.
  • Depth is also something we are playing with a lot. In this particular shot, parts look more blurred than others.
  • We also want to use light sources in every room as it makes everything just look much better.
  • Finally we have agreed to flatten out our colors a bit more, too much shading detail can steer more into the “retro” aesthetic which want to move away from.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »

hey great job, Im really loving the concept of this game.

I was looking at some of the gifs..how does the aiming with the gun work? Apologies if this was already explained. Are you generally playing with controller or mouse/kb? Is there a "lock on to enemies"?

Haha. Well you can currently slash bullets back at enemies which is fun.

This idea is fantastic! Ever played Sin and punishment? Will you be aiming your slashed bullets back at enemies with that aiming cursor?

I have yet to play sin and punishment! But I looked it up looks really fun. Right now slashing bullets always makes them fly in the direction of the enemy that shot it. I think it feels good that way right now but this may change.

Also, the Facebook link in your OP is linking to your twitter account, fyi.

Woops just fixed this =D thanks for mentioning.

sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »

Fell in luv  Kiss on that first page "mount the colossus" gif. Nice work.

If that's a boss monster, how's the player char going to defeat him? Smiley

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »

Fell in luv  Kiss on that first page "mount the colossus" gif. Nice work.

If that's a boss monster, how's the player char going to defeat him? Smiley

You have to ride the Phoenyx to reach a new location. You will probably fight something else while on top of it.

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

wow that image is very stylish, looks amazing.

So what was the reason behind the style change? I'm guessing you want to stand out from the over-abundance of retro-looking games (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

Looking forward to seeing more images in this new style Smiley

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 05:31:30 AM »

Looks amazing, I'm not sure you need a style shift at all with visuals as good as the originals, but I look forward to seeing what you are coming up with.  Wizard

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »

Looks amazing, I'm not sure you need a style shift at all with visuals as good as the originals, but I look forward to seeing what you are coming up with.  Wizard

Thanks =D. Well Alex has been working on the art and we both agree, some of the stuff we haven't shown is a step up from what we currently have. To be honest I'm blown away with the improvement the art has been making. I just wish I could post all of it already XD.

Also I really love your game! It reminds me of Dark Souls. Without Dark Souls I probably wouldn't have even dared to make Death's Gambit since I love brutally challenging games XD. I'm excited to see where your vision with it goes! I love that you are also going with a bonfie/save system.

wow that image is very stylish, looks amazing.

So what was the reason behind the style change? I'm guessing you want to stand out from the over-abundance of retro-looking games (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

Looking forward to seeing more images in this new style Smiley

I'm glad you like it!

We decided to change the style because we were not satisfied. Basically we tried making new scenes and compared them to other popular games. Until our friends thought our art was the most impressive we decided we wouldn't stop improving. It's just been a big evolution over the last months, Alex and I have been trying out different techniques to make the art better. We are finally reaching the end of the art evolution though. We are really happy where it is now and I can't wait to show you guys more.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:21:20 PM by somn » Logged

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »

Thanks =D. Well Alex has been working on the art and we both agree, some of the stuff we haven't shown is a step up from what we currently have. To be honest I'm blown away with the improvement the art has been making. I just wish I could post all of it already XD.

Also I really love your game! It reminds me of Dark Souls. Without Dark Souls I probably wouldn't have even dared to make Death's Gambit since I love brutally challenging games XD. I'm excited to see where your vision with it goes! I love that you are also going with a bonfie/save system.

Haha, I know how you feel, but can't give it all away at once!  Wink

And thanks for your comments, much appreciated. I love the Souls series too, and just as you said I don't think our game would be the way it is without it's inspiration. I'm happy that From Software are inspiring quite a few indie game developers, the more Soul's the merrier!  Cheesy

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »

Third Ally Reveal! These bad-asses do not play a role in the moment to moment gameplay but appear during story events and some specific boss fights.

Art Timelapse

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

UPDATE - NPCs

Don't piss off the denizen's of Death's Gambit.

Lets talk a bit about npcs!

• There are many people living in the world who will either sell you items, or simply have a conversation with you.
  • Hitting npc's enough will cause them to turn against you for the rest of the game! It's not encouraged but they do drop items when killed.
  • Some npc's might act different if you have a weapon equipped.
  • We want the grand majority of the npcs to have something unqiue about them. This merchant, for example, has a deadly machinegun that makes him an extremely tough foe to defeat.

Melee stuff and new lighting system coming up next !

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »

Dude is super pissed...nice touch.

Will all NPC's be mad at you one you attack one, or just the NPC you attacked?

justincavenagh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »

Wow this is awesome, loving the art style you guys have going on!

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

Dude is super pissed...nice touch.

Will all NPC's be mad at you one you attack one, or just the NPC you attacked?

Not sure yet if all npc's retaliate. But most of them will attack you back if you try to kill them yes. XD

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic