Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:20:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeath's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Death's Gambit -- (Releases August 14th on PS4 and Steam)  (Read 46141 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2014, 07:09:09 AM »

UPDATE - NPCs

Don't piss off the denizen's of Death's Gambit.

Lets talk a bit about npcs!

• There are many people living in the world who will either sell you items, or simply have a conversation with you.
  • Hitting npc's enough will cause them to turn against you for the rest of the game! It's not encouraged but they do drop items when killed.
  • Some npc's might act different if you have a weapon equipped.
  • We want the grand majority of the npcs to have something unqiue about them. This merchant, for example, has a deadly machinegun that makes him an extremely tough foe to defeat.

Melee stuff and new lighting system coming up next !

but... but I'll accidentally swing my sord a lot :<

Derity
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2014, 07:18:36 AM »

UPDATE - NPCs

Don't piss off the denizen's of Death's Gambit.

Lets talk a bit about npcs!

• There are many people living in the world who will either sell you items, or simply have a conversation with you.
  • Hitting npc's enough will cause them to turn against you for the rest of the game! It's not encouraged but they do drop items when killed.
  • Some npc's might act different if you have a weapon equipped.
  • We want the grand majority of the npcs to have something unqiue about them. This merchant, for example, has a deadly machinegun that makes him an extremely tough foe to defeat.

Melee stuff and new lighting system coming up next !

Haha awesome, I love the way he gets on his little turret XD

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »

but... but I'll accidentally swing my sord a lot :<

Hahaha well we lowered the health on the npc for the sake of the gif. He will only attack back after you hit him several times or goes below a set amount of health.

Haha awesome, I love the way he gets on his little turret XD

Thanks! It's still gonna get has some fixes to be done too!

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »

UPDATE - New Shadows

]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:20:27 PM by somn » Logged

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »

UPDATE - The Bulwark of Aldwynn

"Past the city of Aldwynn, you must confront the Bulwark. You are not prepared."

Today we will discuss the structure of the game.

• It is not randomly generated
  • Death's Gambit is a non-linear bossfest and explorational game like say Castlevania/Dark Souls/Shadow of the Colossus
  • The only thing blocking you from exploring new areas are bosses
  • The current idea is that after the tutorial, the player is asked to cross the bridge of Aldwynn
  • Crossing the bridge is extremely challenging as the "Bulwark" boss is much more powerful than you at the start. The player can explore the world in order to find items and abilities that will help defeat the "Bulwark"
  • Crossing the bridge will mark the half-way point of the game after which the player can essentially explore most of the game.
  • We want our bosses to be challenging, no matter in what order you do them
  • We currently have 3 bosses past prototype stage. Bulwark is still in prototype and probably wont be complete until after Kickstarter

Showing off the cool light/rain/cloud effects

Tomorrow we'll talk about frustrations with the very first area we made and the state of the combat system

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »

UPDATE - Frustrations

We have learned a lot so far. It's really important for us to note it all down.

Ways we completely messed up

• Level design had multiple issues. We had play-testers falling down death-falls constantly. This is because they didn't expect them in this type of game.
  • The art for our first area "Obsidian Plateau" ended up being below our standards. We experimented a lot with tile-sets and although it's better now, it just doesn't look as good as our newer areas.
  • Playtesters got very frustrated by our melee enemies because the didn't telegraph their attacks. We will be giving each melee attack a small telegraph part to the animation."
  • The character melee attack turned out a bit too fast paced and makes the game feel less tactical. As a result we are going to add a telegraph to his attack as well. It will add a timing element to attacking enemies.

• Tried making the shield shaman lower his shield while he attacks. Although this gives you a moment to attack with a melee weapon, play testers complained it didn't work well. Getting up close to him while he attacks is very tough.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:02:40 PM by somn » Logged

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »

UPDATE - Monster Relics

Hidden in the world are many relics that will aid you defeat the challenging bosses.

Each boss has 3 relics pertaining to them:

• Having 1 Relic lets you see the boss health bar + gives you 5% damage dealt increased against the boss
  • Having 2 Relics gives you 15% damage dealt increase against boss + phase change indication
  • Having 3 Relics gives you 20% damage dealt increase + ?? (secret for now)

Each relic will also hold a sentence long description explaining a specific important boss ability. Relics are hidden in the nooks and crannies of the world.

This we feel will be a collectible people will really want to go around searching for.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2014, 11:59:56 AM »

We've been experimenting with new weapon designs.

Also been testing out giving melee attacks a small delay which ultimately adds a bit of timing element to attacking. This does mean we need to re-do some of our attack animations.

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »

This game looks... amazing.
Thank you for creating this!!!!!!!!

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »

Awesome weapon deigns!

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2014, 01:16:51 PM »

Small update, cape looks a bit better now XD

This game looks... amazing.
Thank you for creating this!!!!!!!!

hahaha thanks! It means a lot to see people really it =D

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2014, 02:42:57 PM »

UPDATE - Character Rework + Hope
This week we wanted to show off the new character rework and show off a bit of our "hope" system. We still didn't like the old character design and improved it a bit. That being said, the character might take off his helmet at specific points in the game.

On the left we have our latest character rework, animations are not done for it yet.
On the right we have "Sanguinar" a very important npc. More about him later!

Upon dying, you will leave behind a purple marker which we are currently calling "hope." To reclaim hope, you must return to the location of your death and activate it which will manifest an enemy for you to face. Depending on how much hope you had, and the area which you lost it, the enemy will change.

Lastly, we added a new combat gif with a cleaner melee animation and new cape. We're still working on improving the slashing.

FuzzySlippers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »

Woah this is gorgeous. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »

Thanks! We had never done pixel art so getting it to where it is has definitely been an evolutionary process.

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »

Thanks! We had never done pixel art so getting it to where it is has definitely been an evolutionary process.

Really?  I'm surprised; this looks absolutely gorgeous!
somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »

Really?  I'm surprised; this looks absolutely gorgeous!

It took a team effort to research how to get to the current style.

For reference, this is what the ice area used to look like XD

Also here are old character revisions:

Death's Gambit has changed A LOT haha.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:31 PM »

I adore the fact that the majority of screens here are moving images.

somn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »

I adore the fact that the majority of screens here are moving images.

Haha, Gifs >>>>> pictures.

SPEAKING OF WHICH!
We need feedback on our new animations XD

note: Gif was recorded on a potato computer so it runs slower than usual

Let me know what you guys think. We like the jump but still aren't sure about the run.

Adam_
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »

The art style of this game is amazing, but the "feeling" it conveys is even more so. The camera shake in the riding animation provide a real sense of speed, roughness and make the ground beneath feel solid and hard. In fact, all of your animations appear to interact with the environment in a consistent and believable way, which is quite a feat and not easy to get right. It really makes a huge difference in building the mental image of your games world in the players mind.

Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2014, 06:25:06 PM »

UPDATE - Monster Relics

Big fan of the art style of this game and the souls flying out of dead creatures is great. Mainly wanted to say how beautiful that book animation is, stunning.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic