Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:38:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogstan(gen+t) - Concept
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: tan(gen+t) - Concept  (Read 537 times)
aaron524
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »

NOTE: This is mostly a concept, I don't have much art at all yet, but I wanted to get some feedback on this concept as I work on it.

The Idea
There is a theory of time travel that states each jump or change in time will create its own timeline. Each one of these timelines continue there course without interaction between each other. But what if you could jump between these timelines?

tan(gen+t), or just pronounced "tangent" is a game that explores the possibilities of multiple timelines, and their various properties that make them unique from one another.

The Mechanic
Players during gameplay may use up a resource to jump to a new timeline. If a timeline "below" their current one does not exist, a new one will be created. Each timeline will have randomized properties. The Timeline Map will display all the timelines the player has created. At will, given enough resources, the player can move between these timelines chronologically. Possibly to avoid monsters, or use lower gravity to bypass a gap.

Currently I have the very basic timeline system ready. But again I wanted some feedback on this concept. I lack the art skills, as I'm mainly a programmer.

Example:

Lets say this is timeline A0, the standard timeline.

Now if the user was to make a new timeline, it would branch off the existing timeline, so the player doe not change position during the transition, however the properties of the world will change. Timeline A1 is now in existence and mapped on the Timeline Map. The player now has the option to jump between A0 and A1 at will.

I plan to make the game a rouge-like or rouge-lite as I've yet to really see one with a crazy time mechanic such as this. Once again, I'm sorry I don't have any art to really show off, I'm really a programmer with a neat concept and I lack the art skills to really make something awesome looking. So for now I'd enjoy any feedback on the concept! Thanks!
chegr
Level 0

Don't play baseball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »

This is what comes in mind instantly.

It could work, but you should make an example, at least in pictures, to explain it further and decide how much it's playable.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic