Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:17:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSoft Body
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Soft Body  (Read 4875 times)
godzekesatan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »

Soft Body is an action-puzzle game set in a meditative, musical world. Inspired by the simplicity and joy of twin-stick shooters and other arcade games, every aspect of the game highlights the fluid motion and control of the player's snake-like avatars. Players control two similar characters at the same time. This challenging mechanic not only creates a high skill ceiling but also provides the unique experience of learning how to split one's mind--like singing and playing an instrument at the same time.

Soft Body features a single-player campaign, time trials, and even a cooperative, 2-player campaign (with unique challenges and levels).

Learn more at www.softbodygame.com

Above: the Soft Body (sans-Ghost Body) finishes painting a layer and frees the turret's projectiles. Check out the trailer below!

Current plan is to release on Steam and consoles by the end of the year.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:30:44 AM by godzekesatan » Logged
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »

Dude, this looks  really, really well done and interesting. The only problem I could see is with the controls. I dont think WASD will cut it.
collider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »

Looks and sounds beautiful, great job so far. Are the mechanics not good for IOS? I would think pointing the path for the guys would be pretty fun.
godzekesatan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »

Thanks for your kind words! I just got the iOS plugin for Game Maker: Studio, and I am going to give iOS a try sometime this week. 

Right now, analog sticks are by far the best way to control. I'm concerned that if I let people control with the keyboard that people will never experience the game to its full potential. I may need to do some work and testing with alternative control schemes.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »

Looks amazing - I get the impression that if I tried to play it my brain would melt but I'd love to try anyway!

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »

Wow this game looks quite fantastic. I like the sounds/music and I do like the looks of the gameplay. It is quite intriguing.

Perhaps you could allow for mouse + WASD if you have to control two things at one time. Where the most controlled entity (from what I saw from the video, the yellow snake-thingy) would be the mouse and the other one with the keyboard.

Though I have to say I didn't find a lot of moments where you had to control both of them at the same time. So far it seems based on situation. Which isn't bad.

Oh, another thing... people that have limited to no ability to multi-task will have quite a hard time playing this game :D

jamiebell
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »

WOW. This looks so amazing! I can't wait to see what you do for controlling the dynamics of the tonal music bed as the game progresses. The sfx you've got for painting the walls is so addictive, too!

Basically I can't wait to throw on a pair of headphones, sit in a dark room and just zone out to this beautiful damn game.  Toast Right
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »

This is pretty cool! An interesting concept and abstract visuals. Nice work! I'd like to make an abstract game one day, haha.

rio8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »

Are the characters based on these things:

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:39:11 AM »

This is really very nice. I'm interested to see how this develops!

godzekesatan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 05:18:22 PM »

Are the characters based on these things:

I wish! I was inspired by Fat Worm Blows a Sparky. I've never played it, but I love the way it looks.

godzekesatan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »

Soft Body is now on Steam Greenlight!

Please help by voting and sharing the news.

In order news, I've created a new trailer. I hope you all enjoy it.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:14 AM »

The trailer is great. Really interesting game and elegant presentation. Following.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »

The trailer looks super cool!  Best of luck with greenlight Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »

This game looks sweet! I like the idea - you can go so far with it in terms of level design and puzzles. Love the visuals too. I personally think if you added a soft glow/bloom to the overall product, it would add another level of polish to it. It looks great otherwise though.

godzekesatan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 07:09:44 AM »

This game looks sweet! I like the idea - you can go so far with it in terms of level design and puzzles. Love the visuals too. I personally think if you added a soft glow/bloom to the overall product, it would add another level of polish to it. It looks great otherwise though.

Great suggestion. I'll give it a go, and post some results later. I'm thinking about trying to implement a gradient on the background.
GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »

Check out

and what they have going on with their background. May give you some ideas.

godzekesatan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 01:16:51 PM »

Here's an attempt at gradients and trixels (instead of just circles and squares).
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 09:36:10 PM »

this is pretty beautiful! and pretty! Just watched the gameplay vid and read the description as well. I love all the underlying thought that's shaping your decisions, and I'm excited to see where this goes. Keep it up!

For a non-dualstick-controller method, you might think about using the mouse? hold left click and the yellow worm follows. right click the red worm follows. hold both, both follow. I'm not sure if that'd actually work for this though.

Any way, good luck!  Beer!

godzekesatan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 11:53:10 AM »

I've been doing a lot, a lot of work the last few months, but mostly logic, design, and level editor stuff. But tonight I want to show off some new visual developments. HD screenshots, a prototype lighting system, and a new enemy.

Also, I just put together a new website: www.softbodygame.com

New enemy: TRIANGLE PRINCE

HD screenshot

Some cool lighting:

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic