Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:26:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSmokin' Guns is out - Time for some Wild West action!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Smokin' Guns is out - Time for some Wild West action!  (Read 19848 times)
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »

As probably few know about it, I'll just introduce it a bit: Smokin' Guns is what became of Western Quake³. The latter was a very solid and well-liked western mod for, surprise, Quake 3 and was developed by Iron Claw Interactive. As time passed the usual thing happened, there was less and less activity on the servers and eventually the developers moved on to other things. So, when the source code of Quake 3 was released a group of die-hard fans put it upon themselves to polish the mod, iron out bugs, create new content and, best of all, make it a stand-alone game! They achieved no less and so now, few days ago, Smokin' Guns was finally released into the wild Grin

Smokin' Guns is not the most modern shooter, but of the few Western-themed action games there are, it's simply the best in my opinion. There are the normal deathmatch and team deathmatch modes, but they have a catch, as you need money to buy weapons, ammo and items whenever, whereever you like, and that is not only gained for killing, but also found lying around the maps. More interestingly there is the "Bank Robbery" mode which pits one team as defenders of a bank against another one trying to break into it, steal money by blowing up the safe and then escape to the trainyard. The most competitive one, though, is the Duel mode, which is self-explanatory. Two men go in, one comes out - very classy Gentleman

SG is really not an innovative game, but I like it for how well it manages to capture the Wild West-feeling inspired by all the famous classic movies. In most shooters rifles are the most important weapons, and the one handed guns are merely backups. But here it's really well balanced, so if you want it to be all about the revolvers, have it be that way. There are a bunch of revolvers, rifles, shotguns, even a fancy classic gatling gun, and in my opinion they all just feel right, especially the revolvers. You can use single ones or carry two simultaneously, and you can mix them how you like it. When using two you can also reload them individually and one of the revolvers is reloaded one bullet at a time, which feels very nice.
Lastly, the graphics aren't much to look at, but they have been polished from Western Quake³ and especially the maps tend to look quite atmospheric. The sound is a different story, though, as the weapons sound appropriately powerful and there's a very, very nice soundtrack which really gets you in the mood for duking it out at high noon Smiley

If you're interested, head over to http://www.smokin-guns.net/ or directly go to the downloads page: http://www.smokin-guns.net/template.php?page=8&sid=cb28b5bbf75707a47ff5a1885a678665

It's been a long time coming, and I'm glad I can finally play the game again online. I hope some of you will also find it interesting Smiley So, see you online, maybe!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:30:09 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:09:46 PM »

I really like this game's style! Will download it when I have time.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:56:38 AM »

thanks for informing about this game.  Gentleman
*putted it on my "to check out" list*

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »

This looks interesting.  There need to be more wild west themed games (GUN doesn't count).

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:25:05 AM »

Ooooh, I loved Western Q3. Will definitely download this.

medieval
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »

clicked

looked for screenshot link

clicked it

saw wild west+shotgun

clicked download
Renton
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »

Stand-alone?
medieval
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »

[edit]disregard[/edit]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:59:13 PM by Yama » Logged
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »

Stand-alone?
As in, doesn't need Quake 3 to run, whereas Western Quake³ did. It's not a mod anymore, it's a game of its own.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »

I just had a blast playing this with Renton and MisterX and some others (including a guy who insisted on teamkilling me).

Renton
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »

Yeah, pretty fun game. Needs higher polycount.
medieval
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »

everyone from here playing the game online, join with a [TIGS] tag before your name.

Hideous, Renton, michael and I had quite a lot of fun being a group.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »

i approve!

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »

MisterX, do you mind if I post your thoughts of the game on the front page?  This sounds really cool.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »

Well, I would be flattered Smiley If you don't think the text is too long or subjective for a game probably few know around these parts, I'm totally fine Smiley And as before, just change what you think should be changed.

Oh, and I'll also put that TIGS-tag in my name, it must surely earn us some respect Cool Well, first I'll have to catch up with you guys online, but I'll surely be playing this afternoon.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:37:04 PM by MisterX » Logged

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »

I read on the forums that there is a problem that is causing games not to show up in the server browser, is this the reason this game seems dead or is it truly this unknown?
Pardner
Level 0

Alt+F4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »

Hey MisterX, thanks for pimping SG! I'm glad you guys like it. This game is a blast. The feel it dead on for a FPS. The pistols make this game so unique. Hope to see you fellas on the servers sometime Wink

I read on the forums that there is a problem that is causing games not to show up in the server browser, is this the reason this game seems dead or is it truly this unknown?
SG uses the Q3 server browser which has always been a little flaky at best. The only difference is that is has a smokinguns game filter, and since SG uses a custom engine, it does not show up in the VQ3 servers browser.
Check out these two threads for server info:
http://smokin-guns.net/viewtopic.php?t=1427
http://smokin-guns.net/viewtopic.php?t=1408
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:58:58 PM by Pardner » Logged

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »

wow, i was just about to ask about the server list issues.

this game is amazing! i really wish i was good at modeling or something so i could help them out.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »

I have yet to play this game with real people...

I connect to a server that said it had 8-12 players and its either all bots (who just run into walls) or won't connect.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

Pardner, if you ever look at this, would you mind getting someone to write up a _proper_ tutorial to get up and started with mapping for SG? The one there ends up with borked textures and crap.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic