Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:47:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOctjective (v1.0)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Octjective (v1.0)  (Read 1887 times)
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:27:24 AM »

Hi all,

First time posting anything creative up here, so please be gentle. Beg

Bumping to present the final(ish) version:
http://www.raskie.com/octjective/

Key changes include:

-Keyboard controls
-Patchable rules
-Online scores with location tracking
-Neurosky Mindwave game mode...

The last addition is particularly interesting.
You will of course, need a Mindwave to try it.
Mindwave users opinions will be especially welcome. Smiley

Basic instructions can be found here:
http://raskie.com/octjective/information/

Cheers! Beer!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:06:24 PM by dynamite-ready » Logged
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »

No one willing to give this a quick try? At the very least, it's extremely easy to startup... It's just a simple .exe (circa 25MB)!

If nothing else, I'm keen to see that no one has any trouble with that side of it! Tongue
mehranKan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:02:45 PM »

downloading.. will post feedback when i have it Smiley (at work right now) . also does this have mouse controls or are you solely aiming for pad controls
mehranKan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »

also "brower version"!!!!
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:19:06 AM »

downloading.. will post feedback when i have it Smiley (at work right now) . also does this have mouse controls or are you solely aiming for pad controls

Hey! Thanks. Smiley

And you're right, I'm aiming for pad only controls here, that's a large part of the design.
The game is very simple, yes, but it was designed as a highscore challenge, and I wanted to be sure that people were playing the game in (roughly) the same way.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:41:01 PM by dynamite-ready » Logged
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:48:11 AM »

I would have tried it -- actually downloaded it, but I don't have a controller so I couldn't play. :/ Why not add both controls?

dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »

Aye. I've heard this more than once now, so I'm now giving it some some thought...
But for the record, the game was originally conceived with gamepads/joysticks in mind...

Hence the 8 target/direction thing.

The score server also keeps a track of the gamepads/joysticks used.
Keyboard controls won't exactly break anything, so why not?

It just wan't my intention.

Both wired 360 and PS3 pads should work btw, you don't necessarily need a PC compatible pad.
So what do you suggest? WASD/Dir + Space?

Oh... And thank you for downloading. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:49:23 AM by dynamite-ready » Logged
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 06:57:06 AM »

I don't know how the game is played. But 8 directional movement can be achieved with WASD or arrow keys. Definitely though the pads would be more accurate. Perhaps even mouse movement could replicate the joystick?

Again it depends on the game and I haven't seen its gameplay so I don't want to break the game for you.

Meanwhile you can always add a disclaimer on the title screen it is meant to be played with a gamepad (many games actually do that, one of them I think was Castle Crashers)

I'd play it was a pad, but I don't have any consoles and only use PC for everything (i.e keyboard and mouse).

MazK1985
Level 0

Maz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »

I really like the visuals and core mechanic but my 360 wired pad only seems to register the four diagonals and only sometimes could I get the axial directions. I had similar issues with the d-pad also.

There's seems to be no minimum threshold on the thumbstick which causes the cursor to go to the bottom left area and related to that, what do you think to having the cursor in the centre when the thumbstick is in it's neutral position?

Lastly, it could be the controls skewing this opinion but what if you lose points for a miss hit and lose a life when a target disappears from taking too long.  I don't know which way would be better because at the moment losing lives for miss hitting creates a riskier and more precise experience.

Despite that however it's a really cool game and I can't wait to see more, keep up the good work Smiley
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:59:42 AM »

I really like the visuals and core mechanic but my 360 wired pad only seems to register the four diagonals and only sometimes could I get the axial directions. I had similar issues with the d-pad also.

There's seems to be no minimum threshold on the thumbstick which causes the cursor to go to the bottom left area and related to that, what do you think to having the cursor in the centre when the thumbstick is in it's neutral position?

Lastly, it could be the controls skewing this opinion but what if you lose points for a miss hit and lose a life when a target disappears from taking too long.  I don't know which way would be better because at the moment losing lives for miss hitting creates a riskier and more precise experience.

Despite that however it's a really cool game and I can't wait to see more, keep up the good work Smiley

Hey! Thanks!

What you say about joystick thresholds is very interesting...

For a start, when using an Xbox360 pad, if you plug the pad in after the game starts, I've noticed that it wigs out until you pull it out, and plug it in again. It also works fine for me if I have the pad plugged in before the game starts. If that works for you too, then that's a bug, but expected behavior for this beta.

The joypad code is based on SDL2, and directional values are returned as signed shorts (-32768 > 32768)... Because of the nature of the game, and the sensitivity of analogue controls, I've set a 2000 unit deadzone on the pad in an attempt to negate that particular issue. But there's also the possibility that your OS is reading the pad differently to the one's that I've tested on.

What OS are you on, btw?

This is exactly why I want people to test this beta before updating my site and adding some of the more interesting features...

Also, were you online at the time when you played the game? My server should have registered your client, even if you didn't register a valid score (see the little cloud icon in the screenshots? Did you see that?).

Finally...

"but what if you lose points for a miss hit and lose a life when a target disappears from taking too long."

True.

Along with the request for keyboard controls, a few people have brought this up, and I reckon it would introduce a little more urgency into the game... I think doing it in exactly the way you've described would be a better idea than the one I had. I was originally thinking of a checkpoint system, where the player has to hit a minimum percentage of targets. Your idea sounds better.

Thank you for the feedback! Especially the serious bug report. Gentleman
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:55:01 PM by dynamite-ready » Logged
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »

Anyone else encountering any serious control issues with Xbox360 (or any other) pads?
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 07:37:57 AM »

Ok... So I checked out MazK1985's complaints about the gamepad deadzone...
Turned out he was right.

I've now compiled and tagged a new release:

http://www.raskie.com/octjective-v0-2-1.zip

A quick aside... does anyone know how I can get rid of the Chrome "uncommonly downloaded file" warning?
It's very annoying to me, and I doubt it would help anyone else downloading the file...

Anyway, please do try out the game, post a high score, and offer a few suggestions. Beer!
The next thing I'll try to do, is fix the game to punish inactivity, as Maz suggested.

Btw Maz, I checked out a video of your Portal 2 map... It's crazy! Really wish I hadn't watched the video, because I think that would be a really cool map to play through! Hand Thumbs Up Right
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:11:10 AM »

Hai again'... Another request for playtesting on the game, but this time, I'm wondering if I can ask people to be more specific about bug reporting...

I'm basically running into an issue that I can't reproduce on my machine. A good number of people are complaining about Xbox360 pad controls on the game client. It's been said that some players are experiencing a load of joypad deadzone issues (like the type that Maz1985 mentioned).

However, I'm testing on a Windows 7 machine with an Xbox joypad, and everything works fine.
The code to handle Joypad input is based on SDL.

I suspect one of two things. Either I have a mint pad, and all you whiners have dodgy ones...
Or perhaps SDL uses a different underlying API on different versions of Windows.

So my request is simple... Please download the version of the game client in this post, and test it out with an Xbox 360 pad, or Playstation 3 pad.
Whether you run into problems or not, if you can post back which OS you're on, and, if you can find it, right click on the .exe itself, go to properties/details, and also note the version number of the game/assembly, then I'll spuff' a load. :]

As always, all qualitative criticism is also welcome.

Cheers!  Beer!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:48:13 AM by dynamite-ready » Logged
Tealkine
Level 0

XD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »

I'll give it a go this weekend on my windows 8, with a xbox joypad

Nice idea!

~Teal
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 04:29:40 AM »

It's been a while since I last updated this thread, but...

http://www.raskie.com/octjective-v0-2-2.zip

Here's the latest version of the game! :]
It's mostly the same as the version I posted earlier, but the new version...

Lastly, it could be the controls skewing this opinion but what if you lose points for a miss hit and lose a life when a target disappears from taking too long.  I don't know which way would be better because at the moment losing lives for miss hitting creates a riskier and more precise experience.

Basically fixes all MazK1985's points.

I've also made a fix to the fullscreen mode, and have done a lot of optimisation work, so the game should run quite a bit smoother.

It's still gamepad only though, so please be sure to get hold of one before trying it out.
This will be the last version before the proper 1.0 release that I'm planning.

And that one will be quite different...

But for now, comments, feedback, and bug reports will be very welcome.

Thank you. Beer!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:49:08 AM by dynamite-ready » Logged
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 04:41:58 AM »

Removed. Added to the first post.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:05:00 PM by dynamite-ready » Logged
MazK1985
Level 0

Maz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2015, 03:11:54 PM »

Oh man, sorry I didn't reply sooner. Real life happened and I completely forgot to check out TIGSource until like a week ago.

I've not had a chance to play the latest version of your game. I will try it out as soon as I finish this post Smiley

Really glad to hear you got the thumbstick issues sorted though and still worked/working on it.

Btw Maz, I checked out a video of your Portal 2 map... It's crazy! Really wish I hadn't watched the video, because I think that would be a really cool map to play through! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Haha, how did you manage to find that? Cheers, it was for a comp on ThinkingWithPortals. Bit of a convoluted puzzle but I'm glad some people liked it Smiley
MazK1985
Level 0

Maz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 03:14:41 PM »

I can't seem to download it Sad
Is your website down?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic