Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411334 Posts in 69346 Topics- by 58402 Members - Latest Member: Tama53D0

April 09, 2024, 10:37:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesDump Jumper!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dump Jumper!  (Read 38910 times)
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »

So, as Derek suggested in the official competition thread I am going to start hyping my game right now since:
a) it's almost done anyway and b) I want to get a headstart on the competition!

My game is called "Dump Jumper!" and it's my take on the B-Movie revenge flick with heavy influence from one of Ikki's more infamous works. In it you play an artist who's out to get the world which poo-pooed on his work by, well, flying around pooping on things.

Features:
-Original, involving storyline of a man bent on revenge!
-Multiple screens which scroll to the side!
-Colorful, mildly-animated graphics!
-A hyper-realistic doody-physics system which makes poop act just like it should!
-Did I mention it scrolls to the left!?
-A unicorn!

I'm probably going to poop out on it (heehee) by the end of the week so that's probably when it's going to be done! What do ya'll think?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:44:36 AM by Derek » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:44:21 PM »

Out of line? No, I think this is exactly what the compo is about. And you didn't use leet speak or flame the admins, so I guess you'll get to keep your head.  Tongue

And a game about poo, eh? Interesting, though I was already expecting something along those lines.

And it scrolls to the left? Holy shit shadows, I haven't seen something so amazing since... what was that game... with the girl in the robot suit... That fought jellyfish. Real silly stuff.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »

Odd.

Anyways, I think you should have posted this in the actual competition thread, and that the threads on this forum are gonna just be competitions themselves, not the entry. Correct me if I'm wrong.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 04:02:08 PM »

I 'think' Derek said you could create your own threads, as long as they were about the competition and about your games for the competition. I'm almost certain.

And also, your game become twice as awesome with the addition of horse derivative.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

I really hope you get propelled into the air by your poop! that will be awesome. Thanks for making a development thread I hope others make some too, its always fun getting a sneak peak. Good Luck in the compo!

(making your own thread about your game in the competition section is allowed)
General discussion about the compo should go in this thread.  If you'd like to start a separate thread for your game, just go for it!  Other threads related to the competition or competition theme may be started here as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:29:13 PM by nizzate » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »

I think it would be cooler if it was called Dumper Jumper. With the double er's it sounds more catchy.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »

Even better:

DUMPER JUMPER ULTRA ZX ALPHA 2064: EXTRA ANNIVERSARY EDITION - DIRECTOR'S CUT

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »

I really hope you get propelled into the air by your poop!
That's exactly how it works!

I think it would be cooler if it was called Dumper Jumper.
If you say so!!

raincoatduck
Level 0

I hate your quirky alt-country band

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »

The shot of the shit-covered unicorn is gold.
Z_E_R_O_Player
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 01:50:41 AM »

Damn you my game was about poop too!

but your not a baby and you dont poo on horses. its a completley diffrent game.

And mine has terrrible graphics rotfl
Oddbob
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »

The shot of the shit-covered unicorn is gold.

I concur. I nearly laughed so hard that I'd be in a similar situation to the lead character if it persisted.

Brilliant stuff.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:14:29 PM »

Lookin awfully good (bad?) so far man, best-o-luck  Grin

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 10:01:36 PM »

In it you play an artist who's out to get the world which poo-pooed on his work by, well, flying around pooping on things.

Dude, I can totally relate to this feeling. Wink

Damn you my game was about poop too!

but your not a baby and you dont poo on horses. its a completley diffrent game.

And mine has terrrible graphics rotfl

Your game basically justifies its existence by getting Z_E_R_O_Player to post this :D, but the unicorn takes the cake.  I'd consider focusing even more on the unicorn, somehow?

I'm on the fence about the graphics, which, while I appreciate their simplicity, don't stand out enough for me!  They definitely don't match the pizzazz of the ideas behind them, in my opinion.

Otherwise, a pretty damn knee-slappin' funny idea and a great promotional thread overall.
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 09:33:46 PM »

Okay, so this is taking a lot longer than I thought it would but I have finally completed enough of the game to release a short demo. It's still sorta buggy and there isn't a whole lot to it, but it might still be fun!

Now before you ask, the "poonicorn" (as it shall now be called) does not appear in this demo, as I want to keep it unsullied for the full game. However, the demo does contain a number of other woodland creatures for you to shit upon.

I also don't want to spoil any of the story right now (although I'm pretty sure a naked man pooping on forest animals should be pretty self-explanatory).

Anyway, use the left and right arrows to move and the space bar to shit. (Don't forget that the game scrolls to the left.)
http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/189068/Dumper Jumper Demo.exe

Please give me feedback if you get the chance! Especially concerning the controls, any bugs you find, and especially the in-game sound (I don't know what to do for this and would like suggestions). Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »

Okay, so this is taking a lot longer than I thought it would but I have finally completed enough of the game to release a short demo. It's still sorta buggy and there isn't a whole lot to it, but it might still be fun!

Now before you ask, the "poonicorn" (as it shall now be called) does not appear in this demo, as I want to keep it unsullied for the full game. However, the demo does contain a number of other woodland creatures for you to shit upon.

I also don't want to spoil any of the story right now (although I'm pretty sure a naked man pooping on forest animals should be pretty self-explanatory).

Anyway, use the left and right arrows to move and the space bar to shit. (Don't forget that the game scrolls to the left.)
http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/189068/Dumper Jumper Demo.exe

Please give me feedback if you get the chance! Especially concerning the controls, any bugs you find, and especially the in-game sound (I don't know what to do for this and would like suggestions). Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I like the controls...the game needs some music and maybe to turn down the nature sfx in the background (not off but down...they are actually strangely fitting lol)

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 05:24:56 AM »

I must say, This game is awesome!  This is just the demo and it is already awesome. The controls need some work. You need to make it so that when i land after a jump if I'm holding in left, I run left.  Right now if you land after you jump your character just stands there even if your holding in left, you have to release the button then hit it again.  At first i couldn't figure out why i couldn't walk.Also when you are walking left and you immediately hit right your guy should turn and start going right.  I love how when you got hit by the bear claw you pooped and lost health great idea!  I was so glad to see an enemy because i wanted a little challenge so i could test my poop propelled skills.  I think you should make more challenges maybe creatures that throw things at you so you would have to dodge it by pumping(poo jumping, i don't know what to call it for short Smiley) I also love how you can bog down the bear with poo.  It felt so great to bring the mighty and majestic black bear to his knees by way of my feces. I was actually thinking before i got to that part that i was going to tell you to put that in there but you already had it.
I can't wait to see this game get even better.  Good luck! Smiley  and thanks for posting a demo.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 05:59:24 AM »

For some reason whenever I hold in left and tap right, my guy automaticly slides off the screen and there is nothing I can do but restart the game. Also, I think that the scrolling should happen when the character is more in the middle of the screen, it looks kinda off center right now when you are running through the forest, since you can't go back. The character is always really far to the left. The feel of the controls need some fixing up too. Other then that, it's a pretty cool game!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:04:01 AM by HandCraftedRadio » Logged

Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 11:45:48 AM »

the game needs some music and maybe to turn down the nature sfx in the background
I know I need to put in music sometime but I keep putting it off because the task seems really intimidating to me! I'm glad to hear that the ambient noise isn't completely annoying though. I was especially worried that the farting noise would drive folks crazy.

I must say, This game is awesome!  This is just the demo and it is already awesome.
Grin Aw shucks!

The controls need some work. You need to make it so that when i land after a jump if I'm holding in left, I run left.  Right now if you land after you jump your character just stands there even if your holding in left, you have to release the button then hit it again.  At first i couldn't figure out why i couldn't walk.Also when you are walking left and you immediately hit right your guy should turn and start going right.
For some reason whenever I hold in left and tap right, my guy automaticly slides off the screen and there is nothing I can do but restart the game.
I will be the first to admit that the game's controls are actually kinda wonky. But, as you may have noticed, I'm making this in Game Maker as I don't know anything about programming and I'm not sure how much I can fine-tune the controls. I will try though! Honestly!

I love how when you got hit by the bear claw you pooped and lost health great idea!  I was so glad to see an enemy because i wanted a little challenge so i could test my poop propelled skills.  I think you should make more challenges maybe creatures that throw things at you so you would have to dodge it by pumping(poo jumping, i don't know what to call it for short Smiley)
In the game your health bar is actually your "poo meter" and when the bear hits you he is "beating the crap out of you". It's good to hear that the bear is the funnest part because it was also a bitch to program (though I probably did it the hard way or something). Pumping is a good word.

Also, I think that the scrolling should happen when the character is more in the middle of the screen, it looks kinda off center right now when you are running through the forest, since you can't go back. The character is always really far to the left.
My original thinking on the scrolling was that it should be far left so that you can fly around most of the screen without losing part of the right side. However, I think you're right and I have fixed it (just not in the demo).
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 02:56:26 PM »

awesome so far man, damn I'm gonna have to pull my thumb out.  Grin

Korba
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 05:39:21 PM »

Nice!  I would love for this game to have ridiculous happy visuals and music.  So it makes it that much more satisfying to dirty up the world.  Perhaps Unicorns?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic