Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:14:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLooking for deeply personal recos
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for deeply personal recos  (Read 802 times)
bigguarddestroyer
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »

Hey all.

Longtime lurker, first-time poster.

I'm building a class for a university that starts late next month. It's going to be a survey-style class about the issues/opportunities facing small devs in the industry. I'm reaching out to tons of people on a variety of different things, taking temperatures on stuff I feel is important to teach these keedz. What I'd love to get from you guys are some suggestions of small games that are not the "usual" suspects to demonstrate to students what very personal/vulnerable/or very weird games are like. In part to expose them to stuff they haven't heard of before but also to encourage them by way of demonstration how personal the medium can be -- opening their eyes to stuff they, too, can try to do.

I have my thoughts on some games, but would love to hear from you all. Thanks!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »

Anything by thecatamites or Porpentine. Lots of Twine games are really personal too, because anyone can make a game with it.

dez
Level 1

^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »

pretty much anything by Jason Rohrer.

I'm developing OBEY - Steam | Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
Chainsawkitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 01:09:50 AM »

Depression Quest, Dys4ia
Marc Truant
Level 0

Dun dun dunn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:32 AM »

Depression Quest, Dys4ia

Gonna second *Depression Quest*. I've also found Kitty Horrorshow's *Stygia* to be extremely evocative for me. As to why, I have no clue, but it resonated very strongly with me despite its fantastical setting.

*Edmund* was horrifying, but in a good way. Good is a weird word to use to describe that game, because it's... not really. Yet it sort of brought this awful thing that happens to people daily to life, very similar to *Irreversible*, except shorter and far less dizzy.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic