Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:56:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)State Pattern use cases
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: State Pattern use cases  (Read 1333 times)
sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »

Following along with the book, Game Programming Patterns, I've been studying the State Pattern and want to continue discussion on here about it.

The most obvious use cases and the one listed in the book is to do with character states. Idle, Walking, Running, Jumping etc... For game programming it seems most useful when dealing with game objects that have a bit of complexity. Anything that is animated and interactive.

It could also be used for game states as well. Apart from that, I can't think of many other places where you'd use state pattern. What other times would the state pattern be good for?

CutterSlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:41:11 AM »

Enemy AI is definitely one of the places you'd use it.
SirEel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »

Player input handling as well: you might have different controls while running, vs swimming, vs piloting a vehicle.

My personal rule is that if I've got an enum, and a lot of separate functions are switching on it and there's a lot of code in that switch, then I should be using a state machine.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:21:29 AM »

I'd say that state machines (I don't like "design patterns") are applicable to pretty much any user interface element, be it a GUI control or a player input handler.  Anything where you can gain from turning a switch statement within the game loop into polymorphic state objects.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »

Ah yes! of cause. I'm not experienced enough in AI to give examples, but I could imagine AI design would benefit greatly from hierarchical states and state stacking. Especially when simplifying the designs of very complex AI.

zerooneinfinity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »

I worked on a pretty complicated mechanic that I made into a state machine so I could step through to debug it in real time.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:20:36 AM »

Ah yes! of cause. I'm not experienced enough in AI to give examples, but I could imagine AI design would benefit greatly from hierarchical states and state stacking. Especially when simplifying the designs of very complex AI.

Watch out for state stacking/layering. That's WAY harder to debug.

zath
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »

State pattern might be used when implementing own network protocol for multiplayer mode. You got connection, authentication, then main gameplay states. When user got disconnected protocol might be switched to another state to handle this situation properly. I like having mutliple layer of States - So every State might also contain a State Machine. This way complicated protocol is divided into more maintainable pieces. Also adding new features is just a matter of adding new state here and there.

My recent idea is to use this pattern to implement a complex puzzle mechanics. User is given a set of inputs he might somehow enable/disable. Input might be a switch, a trap, or god's altar. User operates on these inputs and change its values. Next thing is Transition table. It is responsible for having a knowledge what should be a next state for given current state and given input changes. It might also activate set of outputs when transition happens. Output might be a door, bridge, moving wall, enabled/disabled water pump. Things like that.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic