Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:05:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKuiper 2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kuiper 2  (Read 4452 times)
okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »

Hi everyone!

Some time ago matwek and I made a little Android and iOS game called Kuiper.  It’s a free and very simple arcade game with state of the art snake mechanics.

We had so much fun making it that we decided to make a sequel.   We can rebuild it.  We have the technology:

It will be better than it was before; better, stronger, faster...

New asteroids!

New shiny ship!

Story mode!

More levels! Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:48:10 PM by okoz » Logged

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »

Discover Sprite Lamp.
Make a meteor to test it out.
Fall in love with the meteor.
Decide to make a game around meteors and a ship.  Smiley

Cool, cool, Sprite Lamp looks fantastic. But don't tell me there is no demo to try Sprite Lamp out?
matwek
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »

For anyone interested, this is how I put the sprite together.

The rock on the far left is the original sprite I drew. To save time you could probably make do without doing this part, but I find it makes it easier to visualize what I'm doing and how I want the final sprite to turn out like.

After that I made my Diffuse sprite, basically just a block of colour.

Then I created my Shadow Maps (no idea what the proper term is for them) to show light coming from the Top, Bottom, Left and Right. I think 4 is really the bare minimum, in other tests I have always done a front facing Sprite as well but this one turned out fine with just the 4.

Then its simply a case of plugging these files into Sprite Lamp and getting it to make you a Normal Map.

The tricky part is then using the Palette Shader to use your own preset colours. Sprite Lamps defult is to set the shading as a gradient from Black to white, and as most people are probably aware, colour theory doesn't work like that.

To start with I used the first colour palette but the results were too blocky and didn't give particulaly good definition to the shape. So I added in more colours and with a bit of trial and error, ended up with the final GIF you see above.

Now I need to go through the whole process again with the other sprites.

Cool, cool, Sprite Lamp looks fantastic. But don't tell me there is no demo to try Sprite Lamp out?
Afraid not. Although its not too expensive and the guy who made it is friendly enough. Which always makes me want to spend money on a product.
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »

Cool! Look forward to seeing more. Nicely done shadow maps (or whatever they're called  Wink )

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »

Aren't those lightmaps? Since they describe the amount of light present at each position (much like the lightmaps used for prebaked shadows in 3D games)
Gravitaria
Level 0

Fi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:46:22 PM »

I really like the graphical style you guys have going on in the new one!

hobblygobbly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:23:49 AM »

Aren't those lightmaps? Since they describe the amount of light present at each position (much like the lightmaps used for prebaked shadows in 3D games)

Yep it's similar, same techniques being applied to 2D sprites. The end result is a normal map created by Sprite Lamp based off the light profiles (which is what they call it with Sprite Lamp), but you don't need Sprite Lamp to do this, although it does it very well, you can produce normal maps in many other applications, but Sprite Lamp has a nice workflow that integrates everything you need.

An alternative to Sprite Lamp that is free is unflattener - https://github.com/dbohdan/unflattener which is command-line based, you provide your light profiles and generate the normal map, then pump that normal map and your diffuse texture (the original 2D sprite) with a shader and use the lighting models in your engine of choice like a point light in Unity or whatever. Sprite Lamp can do a lot more than just the normal maps and has a good workflow, so it's worth it to pick up if you want to drop the money on it.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »

Thanks for the small tutorial on how you did that sprite Smiley Nifty thingie.

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »

Any news?

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:34:32 AM »

I like what you did with the asteroid, very cool and thanks for the technique breakdown

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »

After a somewhat prolonged hiatus I have some news:

1. I am not using Unity any more.  It could be due to my lack of experience with it but I had trouble getting the physics working nicely around the edges using the built in physics system.  Now I'm just using a somewhat improved version of the code from the original Kuiper.  Everything is now written in C++ and uses OpenGL(ES on mobile) for graphics, DirectSound/OpenSLES/OpenAL for sound depending on the platform, glm for math and some more things that I am probably forgetting.

This is what hard mode looks like.

2. After deciding not to use Unity I started missing it's scene editor.  Obviously that meant writing my own! Cheesy

It's written in C# and uses SharpDX.

I am now going through the process of getting things running on Android and iOS.

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »

Everything now runs on Android and iOS is well under way.  All of the core systems are in place and the gameplay is now on par with the original.  Once the menus are in place I'll put up a build for you to try out. A screenshot:

Definitely more colors than the original.

In the meantime, one of the core systems happens to have an 8-bit MIDI synth that is just aching to play some spacey atmospheric 8-bit background and theme music.  If you are interested in such things please shoot me a PM or email!

Sabaku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »

This is what hard mode looks like.

Everything else is for beginners  Cheesy

Also, love Sprite Lamp. Makes everything ten times cooler. Also like the screen in your last post.

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »

Working on the satellite level.  There are missiles in it too, but you can't see them just yet.

It spins very, very, slowly

On the technical side we now have a simpler(and faster) spatial grid than before for collision detection so now we can test more objects per frame than there will ever be in the game!

I swear I've tested with more things flying around than this!

Oh! Almost forgot, we got some pretty sweet music now too.

okoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »

The satellite can now shoot missiles at the player.  They fly much faster but turn very slowly so they are pretty easy to dodge.  The missiles have a timer on them but we will also probably make them explode when they hit the satellite so the player has another way to evade them.

Dodge this!

Motion tracking this thing was harder than I expected! Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic