Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:42:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWere to find insperation for your game ideas
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Were to find insperation for your game ideas  (Read 1667 times)
Gwartney21
« on: July 10, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »

So I have been working on some game ideas  but I am lacking some inspiration at the moment. I am looking for some advice on what others, do when they hit that sort of mental block of sorts thanks for the advice.
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:02:55 AM »

Sorry to say this, but according to the legendary Richard Bartle (

) this is not a problem for those who are really suited for game design, even going as far as stating that they can't not get ideas. By his definition I also don't have the qualities of a game designer, but I'm lucky enough to have someone at my back who does, so I turn to him when I'm stumped.

I don't think forcing inspiration is essentially good for any creative work, but of course there are a lot of methods that people use from trying to get inspired by other peoples works to drugs. Which of them works the best, I don't really know. I understand it always sucks to admit that you can't do it on your own, but I still suggest you also consider getting someone, who doesn't have these problems, on board. Everyone can't be a good game designer much like not everyone is cut out to be an artist, a programmer, a composer or a fighter pilot.

Laddo_D
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:28:47 AM »

First step, is get out of the office/house/whatever and do anything other than thinking about games. Go to a park, take a class, watch a movie. The important thing is to loosen up and let your mind wander.  Eventually you'll hit upon an idea or inspiration.

This talk by John Cleese is really insightful. The gist of it is that the mind has too "modes", a "closed mode" where you're very focused and productive, and an "open mode" where you're creative and spontaneous. The trick is to get yourself in the open mode by joking around and letting your mind wander, then go in the closed mode to flesh out the details and actually make the thing.

I make sure to walk for 45 min to an hour every morning, not for the exercise but for the opportunity to just mindless daydream and wonder about things. I get like 95% of my ideas and solutions while walking.

Blog | Devlog
Gwartney21
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »

Ok thanks for the advice really appreciate it will have to take and try some of it I think it will really help.
Gwartney21
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »

Also that video for john Clese was really helpful.
Gwartney21
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »

Well after taking the advice that was given to me, I found that going out, and getting a way from the computer helped the most. As obvious as it sounds it really did, when I came back I had so much more ideas, that I was able to get out of it, and I was also more relaxed which also helped out.
Dino_Salad
Level 0

Love making games :D (I think my cat is a wizard)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »

Totally agree, getting out of your own head and going for a nice walk or getting a drink always helps me

Dinosaurs Love Salad
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »

I find the best game ideas come from people who never take a single day in game design.

Some notable random folk:

Gunpei Yokoi - worked on electrician for Nintendo, ended up making Metroid, Kid Icarus, and the Game Boy.

Shigestero Itoi - Screenwriter/essayist who ended up writing the MOTHER series (earthbound)

Ken Arnold, Micheal Toy, Glenn Wichman - create Rogue, and as a result, the Roguelike genre, the random generation comes from the fact that they didn't want debugging to be tediously going through the same levels over and over again.

Shigeru Myamoto - Ditto, also, ALL of his ideas are stated to come from his hobbies, most notably Pikmin from Gardening.

What do all of these folk have in common? They didn't overthink it.

Find a hobby, do things with that hobby. I have an idea I want to pursue that I got off working at a college radio station. It'll come to you, just don't overthink it.
Gwartney21
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 11:06:23 PM »

I have to completely agree with you, once I steeped away from the computer, took a walk, and didn't over think things, and just started to clear my mind. I was able to come back with more ideas.
Heck I came up with  I ideas just from going out, and playing with a foot ball with my brother for a few.
The main point is like you said, and others on here if you get out, and don't over think it,its the best thing you can do.
bitserum
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:06:40 AM »

I'd say you have to bring focus on it.

Not in an over thinking, forceful way - like trying hard to come up with something and obsessing over it.
Instead make a mental commitment to it, make it a remainder for yourself so it becomes a part of your every day life; not something you think about today, figure you have no ideas and forget about it for days, weeks, months at a time.

When you commit to it inspiration will start coming from everywhere: your daily life, that TV show or movie you just watched, that old half ruined building you pass every day, random stuff on the Internet. You just need to be receptive.

jamsus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »

In addition, the expression "You don't write to say things, you write because you have things to say" it's pretty accurate also in game design. Many ideas - abstract concepts - also graphic art\audio moods can became the base, the mainline of a game.

Do it for youself, as YOU would like it and... let it go. Sometimes works  Wink
Gwartney21
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »

You guys really are giving really great advice thanks for the help I really appreciate all of it.
MiNTO
Level 0

Grasp My Sword

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 12:44:49 AM »

As stated before, walking and just getting away from the computer really helps but I also found doing something a bit more strenuous works too. When I'm needing to get my creative thinking going I like to either go out for a quick run or go for a nice wee swim.

The best advice I can give is just to find out what works for you.  Toast Right

Dino_Salad
Level 0

Love making games :D (I think my cat is a wizard)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 05:12:01 AM »

As stated before, walking and just getting away from the computer really helps but I also found doing something a bit more strenuous works too. When I'm needing to get my creative thinking going I like to either go out for a quick run or go for a nice wee swim.

The best advice I can give is just to find out what works for you.  Toast Right

This totally reminds me actually of what Jonathan Blow said in one of his talks, he mentioned that when he went dancing that was when he got away from it all and he would suddenly have all these ideas and write them down.

Dinosaurs Love Salad
Gwartney21
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »

Pretty much like you said have to do what works, and yea I have know idea why it works that way but hey not going to question it that's for sure.
Farage
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »

Sorry to say this, but according to the legendary Richard Bartle (

) this is not a problem for those who are really suited for game design, even going as far as stating that they can't not get ideas. By his definition I also don't have the qualities of a game designer, but I'm lucky enough to have someone at my back who does, so I turn to him when I'm stumped.

I don't think forcing inspiration is essentially good for any creative work, but of course there are a lot of methods that people use from trying to get inspired by other peoples works to drugs. Which of them works the best, I don't really know. I understand it always sucks to admit that you can't do it on your own, but I still suggest you also consider getting someone, who doesn't have these problems, on board. Everyone can't be a good game designer much like not everyone is cut out to be an artist, a programmer, a composer or a fighter pilot.
What the f***?
No. Thats utter bullshit.
Inspiration is transformation of life experience, everything ever created comes from the things that are already here, nothing comes from nothing. Your mind only processes things that you already know. Hence, knowing more things makes you have more ideas, hence, studying in general makes you a more creative person.

And OP, for me, when i lack inspiration, i like to dive deep into art such as music or movies, like, trying to imagine what a music represents from its sound, you know? A deep eletronic music might be representating some distant cyber punk universe where humanity struggles to live amongst mutated creatures that assembled with robots or some shit like that.
Also movies, old movies always opens up my mind like a tangerine, showing how creativity really started.
And of course, play other freaking games. I mean, where do you think they got their ideas from?!

And please, if you don't know shit from psychology or basic human logic, DO NOT give stupid advices to people on how you need to have a vocation to be a game designer. That's ridiculous.
Gwartney21
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »

Thanks for more advice on how to look at things such as movies and music and so forth in a different way to find inspiration I think that will really help with every thing else.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic