Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:12:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDivinity: Original Sin
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin  (Read 5620 times)
Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

I can't tell if you're relating with me or disagreeing. When you start and get to the first city there are at least 4 ways you can go.  Only one of these ways is sensible as the others have enemies so powerful you'd have little chance defeating them.

I do agree that the "necessary" path in the first map is very linear.  I have no problem with linear.  But giving you 1 right direction and 3 wrong directions is not, IMHO, good level design.  I don't enjoy "bumper car"ing my way to the right path.  I like an indication that I'm headed in the right direction.

Current situation without spoilers: I've found this cave with enemies in it that are literally invincible.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to find some magic item in another quest that makes them vulnerable.  I'm not sure if that quest is outside or inside this cave.  I'm not even sure if this quest actually exists!  Maybe I'm supposed to use sneak to avoid these characters all together. 

I tried the last option and got very far avoiding them.  But along the way for 20 minutes (!) I never felt like I was doing the right thing.  This feeling got so uncomfortable I eventually returned to a save before I sneaked passed them. 

BTW, I'm not saying they should hold my hand.  I'm saying they should provide in-game ways to find the next path *if* you're going to make a linear game.  If I were to have a take away from this, it would be, "be wary of creating a linear game with a non-linear map AND a sub-par journal system."

This game reminds me of some of the worst qualities of point and click adventure games I've played.  You get stuck and you start trying every combination of options to proceed.

There are two sneaking levels on the game, this cave, and another area in the same "overworld map" where the cave happens.

Disappointingly, at the end of that cave you start a quest to kill those enemies... But you cannot go back to the cave. To me this was very disappointing, since I really wanted to fight them, they behaved like it would be a fun fight after they are mortal, but I ended finishing the game without fighting any enemy that require the spell (I wonder why the spell is in the game in first place, it is almost completely useless, and the plot-line on this quest feels rather confusing and useless too in the overall plot).

Also another implication of not being able to go back to the cave, is that you should loot everything and do all side quests BEFORE you sneak to the other side of it.

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic