Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:07:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMultiplayer platform shooters
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Multiplayer platform shooters  (Read 614 times)
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »

Why is it that I never see any online multiplayer retro platform shooters (as in, 4 directional or less shooting) but I see a ton with mouse aim? It seems to me that the 4 directional shooting is more interesting because you can move outside of their aim without simply hiding behind a wall.

I'm also interested in if there is a market for this at all and whether it would be fun.

Additionally, how well do strategy elements (such as CTF/KOTH) mix with online platformers, how many players is too many in a platform shooter, do players ever want to play platformer shooters of any kind competitively, is it worth implementing as a bonus feature, how difficult is it to implement, and are classes or character customization more interesting?

That's all I've got for now. I'm interested what everyone thinks.

(Yes, I know about Megaman Coop and Versus. However, it's a bit more hectic than what I'm imagining- although with similar overall gameplay. The main thing that makes it so hectic is that walls block very few attacks. Also, it doesn't have a server browser, which I'm sure has held it back from becoming more popular than it has. I'm interested in opinions on it as well, though.)

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:59:13 AM »

I don't know about online, but Samurai Gunn and Towerfall both do a great job with limited aim and long range attacks. It's definitely what you're looking for, just with very limited ammo. I'd check out both and maybe play with Towerfall's settings (can you do infinite arrows?) to see what you think. The only thing: it's very twitchy gameplay, so it would never work online (not with our internet response times at least)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic