Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:49:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCHIGUN - POW POW POULTRY. (SUMMER ALPHA BUILD RELEASED)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: CHIGUN - POW POW POULTRY. (SUMMER ALPHA BUILD RELEASED)  (Read 18130 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »

Chigun is the lovechild of Hungry Hungry Hippos and Towerfall.

CHIGUN is a cockfight with guns, pitting a pair of pistol wielding chickens against each other.
Peck up bullets throughout the level and ricochet them off blocks to blast your poultry opponent to pieces.

DOWNLOAD LINK
STEAM GREENLIGHT
FLASH BUILD
TRAILER
PRESS KIT

GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

EGGSPERIMENT
OUTBEAK
YOLKYO

----------------------------------------------

FEATURES

5 hand crafted levels built using woodwork, leather, collage, stop motion animation,
traditional painting, digital art, ceramics, photography and lasercut materials. The
above combined with film and art historical references create a combination of levels
that add depth to the narrative.

A bizarre narrative grounded in the B-movie era of the 1950’s, the works of science fiction
directors, Ed Wood and Ray Harryhausen provided a strong influence on the plot. The players
are taken on an adventure through the game accompanied by your “gorgeous” cross-dressing hostess, Tyler.

Local multiplayer madness places chickens in the paths of traps, conveyor belts and each other.
Ricocheting bullets off surfaces allow the player to pull off ridiculous kill shots, often
bouncing around entire sections of the level to find their target.

An original soundtrack combines the themes of each level with Breakbeat,
Drum and Bass, Reggae, and oriental music.

ORIGINS

Chigun started from me designing aliens for another game whilst on holiday in Austria,
from which a full game has blossomed with local multiplayer and some ridiculous physics.

Upon moving abroad to upstate New York for the summer, my good friend Tyler was thrown
into the fray to bring his crazy art style to the table. We have 3 weeks to finish the game before
I move back home, so expect us posting stuff up daily as we hurry to get the game done!

This is us.

Artwork By Tyler Giordano (Right in Gif)

@tgiordanaught

Game Design By Alex Johansson (Left in Gif)

@alexvscoding

Approximate time we have left to get the game done:

More updates coming soon!

Contact for Press/Youtubers - [email protected]

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:05:51 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »

Hey Folks,

An early preview of the “Free Range” level from CHIGUN. Features chicken totem poles and colossal beak shaped rock formations in the background. Smoke drifts from the breaks in the tops of the egg teepees and chicken shaped clouds creep slowly across the sky. This level is still very much WIP (Need to run it past Tyler tomorrow morning to figure out what else we have to add/edit). All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Stay tuned for more soon!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:20:32 AM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

Bobert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:13:03 PM »

i like the visual style, but the lack of contrast and the general business make the foreground and background sort of blend together. a little more contrast and it should look great

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »

i like the visual style, but the lack of contrast and the general business make the foreground and background sort of blend together. a little more contrast and it should look great

Thanks Bobert! It's a difficult balance to reach between seeing enough of the backdrop yet making the blocks in the foreground prominent enough that they stand out. I think the solution we're looking at is a post/pre game screen that gives the player a full view of the backdrop (so time to appreciate the visuals) whilst in gameplay the blocks in the foreground are fully visible and prominent. We'll be experimenting with the above and different colour combinations in the coming days, so keep watching!

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »

Damn, that is one interesting concept. Looks fun!
I like the art style, it's very unique and it certainly appeals to me a lot! It's pretty dope.
I do agree about the contrast though, from the players to the bullets I'd be freaking out trying to locate them.

I'd suggest the post screen idea to fully appreciate the visuals and let them sink in a bit then saturate and over-expose them a lot! Saturate them so they still have a bit of color kicking in them but not so much that they're black and white.

tmonet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:07 PM »

Hello, Tyler Giordano here, happy to see people enjoying the visual style. Thank you for the input, were working hard on making the compositions interesting and legible at the same time.  From here on out ill be uploading some visuals that pertain to upcoming levels.  

Some early artwork for the “YOLKYO” Chigun level. Continuing with the layering of our backgrounds Alex and i will be using traditional Japanese buildings in the foreground and futuristic skyscrapers for the back.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:49:57 PM by tmonet » Logged
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »

Damn, that is one interesting concept. Looks fun!
I like the art style, it's very unique and it certainly appeals to me a lot! It's pretty dope.
I do agree about the contrast though, from the players to the bullets I'd be freaking out trying to locate them.

I'd suggest the post screen idea to fully appreciate the visuals and let them sink in a bit then saturate and over-expose them a lot! Saturate them so they still have a bit of color kicking in them but not so much that they're black and white.

Thanks for the feedback Crateboy! Over the last few hours, me and Tyler have sat down and ripped the level "Free Range" A new one. Here are the list of changes we made:

1. Took the chicken out of the foreground as it soaked up too much space.
2. Got rid of the plethora of layers of colour that I'd added in which were making the layers mush together.
3. Added some blue into the backdrop to mix up the palette and neatened up the edges of the layers.
4. Re-did the tiles to make the level platforms hollow. Dropped the colour to pump the contrast between foreground and background up.
5. Added a single layer of orange to give a slight distance between foreground and that first background layer.

Here's the difference it made:

BEFORE

AFTER

To go with this, we duplicated each level, stripped it back to just the backdrops and thought of titles to each. Here's what each level looks like with nothing obstructing the background, along with it's respective name (WARNING - TERRIBLE PUNS INCOMING):

OUTBEAK

EGGSPERIMENTATION

FREE RANGE

Please keep the feedback flowing, as we need fresh eyes since ours are sore from looking at the screen for far too long!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:33:56 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »

Hey Folks!

Pretty short update today - Tyler is driving a truck to Newark all day and I've got to process video games the kids have made.

1. In the version I've built, the winning score is first to 3 and have a plan in the pipeline .
2. After post game stats, you return to the menu, but I'll be adding more buttons in the future for more functionality.
3. The pre-game and post game screens are now functional.
4. Had an idea for a new mode in which you use the pecking functionality to not only collect bullets but also pieces of bread/gold/seed/something of value. If you get shot, the objects you've been collecting are blown all over the place. Either you'll have to keep hold of them for X amount of time or deposit them somewhere by shooting them into a pot. I'll be experimenting with this in the coming days.
5. Putting together a font so that I can start making them look pretty (rather than using the default font). Been experimenting with possibilities in photoshop and once I've decided on which one I like I'll be taking them onto BitFontMaker. Really cool piece of software and you should check it out. I've numbered the fonts 1 to 15. Let me know which you prefer (if any)!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:34:40 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

CrateBoy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 07:09:43 AM »

10 is my personal favorite

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »

Hey Folks! Just posting up a short post explaining how we got the characters to look the way we did. Hope you enjoy!

The original characters for our game CHIGUN were simple pixel art. I MEAN REAL SIMPLE:

We’d thought about doing claymation but knew if we didn’t get in a decent animator it’d be difficult to keep the animation cycles connecting cleanly and the number of frames for smooth animation would likely drag the speed of the game down.

So, me and Tyler decided to keep the same animations as the pixel art but make the characters more detailed by re-creating them in clay.

We made a bunch of tiny clay cubes for each pixel (there’s meant to be 13 in the gif but one of the kids I teach ran off with one of them and crushed it under his shoe -_-)

We then used basic stop motion simulated here to animate the legs of the CHIGUN.

The basic animations were taken into photoshop and were given an additional layer of loveliness e.g. colour/feet/fingers/markings on the gun.

So what we have for our final game is:

We may be experimenting some more with using engraved characters, but it all depends on if it’s a load of work only to not be able to see the detail (due to the character sizes being so small).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:39:00 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »

5,11, or 14 look pretty and readable! Will be following!

EDIT: could it be possible for level walls to be made form the same clay style, just bigger for each block instead of each pixel?

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »

2, 12, 14 look pretty nice. The game as a whole has a good weirdness to it.
tmonet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

Hello Chigun fans, your trusty chicken drawing nutter Tyler here, working on some exterior signage drawings for the final level of CHIGUN, entitled “Yolkyo”,

Here’s some updated artwork of the traditional architecture in "Yolkyo",

Have a nice Day!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:50:21 PM by tmonet » Logged
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »

Hey Folks! CHIGUN update - here’s a quick before and after showing the differences I made to the conveyor belt level, EGGSPERIMENT. Take a close look to see how the level has been re-structured to make it play smoother. The gif is the final product. Enjoy!

If you’re interested in finding out more about CHIGUN, check it out here.

tmonet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

Hey Chigun followers Tyler here again, some of my personal work from a sketchbook page that gives you a taster of stylistic approaches we are using for the game, if you are interested in seeing some more of my personal work you can view it at this link here

Many Thanks, Tyler G
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 09:48:51 PM »

Hey Folks, here's a sneaky peak at ABPLUCKTION, a level set inside the guts of a giant metallic hand during a raid on the chicken tribe. The level was just put together today so it's still a work in progress. Stay tuned for more updates!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »

Hey Folks!

Me and Tyler had a decent session yesterday and got plenty covered:

The wind howled as it banked off the craggy face of the “Great Beak”. A natural rock formation imbedded in the native’s culture.  The red dirt stained the earth with blood crimson. Chickens conversed freely with bocks and pecks, this was a time when all could roam with absolute freedom beneath the stars, this was, the “Free Range”. 

Still have some changes to make for Free Range:
a. Replacing the totem pole with an engraved wooden one which Tyler is designing then having laser cut (Done)
b. Adding the wizened tribesman to the foreground (Tribe guy is drawn, just need to add)
c. Making tweaks to the eggshell huts by getting the fire to flicker (To Do)
d. Altering the shape of the stone formations in the backdrop to make it visually flow better (Done)

Tyler had a cheeky segment to add about this:

“Speaking of the “Great Beak”, it didn’t look so great and massive in our prior post.  Alex and I have decided to reformat the level by incorporating compositional features that draw the viewers eye around the play space. The positioning of the rock and its shape are now based on Claude Monets seascape painting  “ “Manneporte pres d’ Etretat”. By collaging laser cut wood, hand drawn and Photoshop imagery we hope to create an atmosphere that brings our fictional “Free Range” level to life.”

e. Replacing the rock on the back with a huge bird statue made of clay (a tiny pot memorial I made for a baby bird last year). (Done)
f. Adding a leather finish to the level border. (To Do)
g. Tyler created some awesome typography for the title of the level (Done)

Stay tuned!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »

I love the slightly more wacky, abstract take on the blossoming couch deathmatch concept.

tmonet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »

Hey Chigun friends, Tyler here, Alex and I are returning to the level "OUTBEAK" to give the background some more versatility.  Here is a sketchbook view of a cellular drawing ready for animation, on the right some work for the hand drawn title of the level.

Hope you enjoy,
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:12 AM »

1000 Views in a week! Cheers TIGSource!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic