Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:00:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHTML5 Game Sponsors/Licencing?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: HTML5 Game Sponsors/Licencing?  (Read 4016 times)
Sushin00
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »

Hi.
I'm interested in beginning to develop games for licensing. What I imagine this to be like is I develop a game (before or after talking to a specific publisher) and upon completion, they pay me to have (potentially) exclusive rights to the game, or to have their website links in it or whatever.

I'm wondering if there's a list of game publishers/sponsors available for contact for something about this (SPECIFICALLY for HTML5 web/mobile compadible games, NOT flash games). I've found a few just looking around but I'd be appreciative if anyone could point me to a better resource.

I would also love to hear about any experience people have had with doing this sort of thing. I've made a lot of (mostly web) games in the past but not necessarily for profit. What kind of stuff should I expect?
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 03:08:17 AM »

I think

is kind of along the lines of what you are after. Although it is a little out dated, I am guessing the information still stands and could be beneficial (in terms of portal names, how to generally sell them).

Sushin00
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »

I think

is kind of along the lines of what you are after. Although it is a little out dated, I am guessing the information still stands and could be beneficial (in terms of portal names, how to generally sell them).

This is actually pretty useful but I'm not sure to what degree what they are saying is outdated. Thanks for the referral though!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:27:59 PM by Sushin00 » Logged
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »

You are most welcome. Here is a more recent interview with Birkett supporting that what he said is mostly still true but the market is more flooded than before.

Sorry for not posting it earlier, been looking for it for a long time now :D

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 03:17:29 AM »

Hi,

I've been an independent flash game developer in the past. I haven't sold any game in FGL, but made a decent amount of money through MochiAds (now defunkt). Ive also made money from collateral business around my games. Today I make funny animations, but I remember making much more money from flash games+animations rather than making animations alone.

I'm starting to self-sponsor simple games from now on made in HTML5. I was wondering if there was a distribution service or something like that for HTML5 games. Those will be very single (one button) funny games without ads (and self sponsored). If anyone can bring some information about the current state of HTML5 gaming it would be great.

I suggest to build a site and create a brand around your games and join fgl ads program. And start making many cool games!!!

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »

HTML 5 Exclusive sponsorship is still in it's infancy. The hot thing used to be to make a pile of relativiley low quality HTML5 games and sell them to portals so that they could fill up their pages. This market is drying up a bit, in the sense that quick and easy no longer cuts it.

Check out
http://www.html5gamedevs.com/

and

http://www.truevalhalla.com/

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
FreelancerFile
Level 0

FreelancerFile.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »

I think the days of easy money with HTML5 games is pretty much over, or at least it seems to be. The quality bar has risen quite a bit, and publishers expect games to be the same standard now as good Flash games. So I would think long and hard whether HTML5 games is where you want to spend your time.

FREE iOS Cat Game! Fat Bubble Cat!
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »

Thanks for the above info.

Anyone's got a list of game portals which accept HTML5 games? I'm not looking for sponsors, I'm looking for portals.

Perhaps this info today might be treated as confidential by developers, or perhaps there's a distribution website who everybody knows.

Thanks for the advise if there is any  Tongue

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »

From the top of my head:

GameJolt.
Itch.io
Kongregate

There is also this topic:
http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/103-html5-game-portals/

And this topic, if a few years old: