Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:24:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What's your favorite programming language?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: What's your favorite programming language?  (Read 21334 times)
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2014, 06:27:50 AM »

I'm pleasantly surprised how many people are saying C#. I like it as a language, a lot. I was shocked to see Unity using it, but I'll take it. I've been thinking about porting my old unfinished 3d engine from c++ to c#, but I dread the OpenGL wrappers I'll need to find. I know I tried once, didn't like any of them.

Has anyone ever tried .NET native? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dotnetnative.aspx

I haven't tried it but I don't think it would make much of a difference in performance. .NET already compiles your code to machine language at runtime (it JIT compiles it). There's a big advantage of having that JIT there for optimizing the machine code for specific architectures.

Most notably, the upcoming Microsoft SIMD ( http://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Bcl.Simd ). It can support different SIMD architectures easily by simply compiling at runtime for the architecture your CPU supports.
Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2014, 09:03:22 AM »

powershell huh? I REALLY need to learn that. Especially considering my line of work involves build management.  I guess I can see how that could work as a scripting language. It would certainly be more terse than C#.

A while back I remember someone posting about using C# as a scripting language for their C# engine. They just used the API compile stuff to rebuild the script layer while the game was running.

Well, beyond powershell as a language itself, you could just define some C# code at runtime and run it. You can also just load any .net dll and instantiate classes etc. (including command line tab-to-complete-or-iterate on class names, method names, etc).
We use it for builds actually, and it's a great language for that kinda stuff.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »

I found an interesting talk from Jonathan Blow (Braid developer)

Canned Turkey
« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »

I haven't made anything with it yet, but python's pretty dang fun to mess around with.
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 09, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »

I've found it very very hard to move away from c++. It is so easy to get used to the freedom it offers, and chafe at the relative restrictiveness of other languages.

HFCRacer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2014, 07:15:24 AM »

Right now Objective C, C++
In the past Assembly (which I really miss)
VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2014, 05:17:35 AM »

Favorite language, once the code is written: C++
Favorite language, before the code is written: C#
Least favorite language:  Probably C++
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »

x86 assembly? Eh, not so really fond of it although at least it's quite usable (though I haven't messed that much with it, so I probably need to use it more to form a proper opinion about it). Way more fond of 68000 assembly though, it's a lot easier to program for.
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2014, 09:05:45 AM »

Way more fond of 68000 assembly though, it's a lot easier to program for.

Hear hear. Newer RISCs like PPC and ARM just aren't the same. 68K has to be about the nicest assembly language ever. Wink
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »

Fingers crossed that OpenGL Next ends up using a painless shader assembly language.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: October 11, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »

I guess nobody cared about that since as far as I know Direct3D now doesn't support assembly for its shaders either (only HLSL), although the fact OpenGL doesn't allow prebuilt binaries that work on every system (when Direct3D does) is annoying (the problem is that without them you have to compile the shader and that increases the loading time).
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 11, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »

OpenGL's current shader system is a mess.  It has been announced that OpenGL Next will allow you to submit shader IR to the driver, although Khronos hasn't expanded on any details.

Elideb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

I'd say D (although I haven't used it beyond some simple programs). Fast, pretty and with some incredibly beautiful features. If only it had C#'s Linq and Rx...
Second, C#, which is the one I use the most, either for games (Unity, the old XNA) or tools.
And for scripting I loved the time I spent with Python while working on build pipelines for EA. Or managing websites with Django.

Regarding Jonathan Blow's proposal of a new programming language for games, I get the impression he simply does not like some parts of C++ at all. In my opinion his two hour talk can be summarized as D++. Which is funny, because D intends to be something like C++++.

Also, some of the ideas he proposed were nice, but the approach seemed the opposite I'd expect. Like the marker for "this memory region is managed by me; free it in my destructor", which should really be "this memory region is managed by someone else; don't free it in my destructor". The first case is the common scenario, the second the exception that needs highlighting.

Twitter: @elorahranma

Heart&Slash is on PS4, Xbox One and Steam Early Access!
mildspring
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »

My current preference is with C#. Familiar syntax, nice features like LINQ, don't have to deal with releasing memory, a lot of libraries, easy to find support on stack overflow, etc.

http://www.mildspring.com - making mobile games
HFCRacer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »

x86 assembly? Eh, not so really fond of it although at least it's quite usable (though I haven't messed that much with it, so I probably need to use it more to form a proper opinion about it). Way more fond of 68000 assembly though, it's a lot easier to program for.

68000 of course. To be exact, I was talking about the Amiga.
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »

c++, no contest 

over the years tried many many other languages (pascal/java/haxe/python) but in the end always end up moving right back after getting frustrated at language restrictions (forced GCs/forced exceptions/dynamic typing/inheritance restrictions/etc...)

-Fuzzy Spider
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2014, 08:41:23 PM »

I'd say D (although I haven't used it beyond some simple programs). Fast, pretty and with some incredibly beautiful features. If only it had C#'s Linq and Rx...

If only D had kept the preprocessor, or better improved it as they improved c++, instead of the asinine decision to do away with it, it could have been the One True Language.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2014, 11:59:09 PM »

Favourite to write in: SML
Favourite to work in: C++
Favourite to make games in: whatever Unity offers, C# currently

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »

If only D had kept the preprocessor, or better improved it as they improved c++, instead of the asinine decision to do away with it, it could have been the One True Language.

Personally I think the preprocessor is what's holding back C++.  Template expansions, references to external functions, and private members (for struct sizing) should be resolved at link time, not compile time.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »

While I agree that the preprocessor is an all too familiar evil, wouldn't link time fiddling with struct sizing and templates preclude or at least make difficult linking against (extern c) cpp from c? Or how would that work?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic