Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:44:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)What's your favorite programming language?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: What's your favorite programming language?  (Read 21342 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »

is it possible to make standalone applications with JavaScript? Like is there a library or framework that does this.

Game Dev Tycoon is made in JavaScript. You can make an .exe (with C++, for example) that is a web browser ( just put chromium inside ), then make it read all javascript code (you should obfuscate it / minimize it) from the end of the .exe itself, and you're good to go.

This way you can not only use javascript, but CSS and HTML too, if you want.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »

Hard to choose a favorite language. I like all the c's (C/C++/C#) and that's what I use the majority of my time. That would possibly change if I had the time to study other languages. D looks attractive since it addresses one of C++'s biggest flaws : build times.

Besides that I like Haxe. The language itself isn't that amazing, it's more about the platforms it easily builds to and the stack of game development libraries that are really easy to use. It's quite easy to get yourself setup with a great game development environment with a few calls to haxelib in the command line.

Python is interesting, so is F# but I haven't used them a whole lot so I can't really comment. I like what I've see though.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »

C, Python, Clojure, Javascript. Depends so much on what to use it for.
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 06:40:55 AM »

is it possible to make standalone applications with JavaScript? Like is there a library or framework that does this.

Game Dev Tycoon is made in JavaScript. You can make an .exe (with C++, for example) that is a web browser ( just put chromium inside ), then make it read all javascript code (you should obfuscate it / minimize it) from the end of the .exe itself, and you're good to go.

This way you can not only use javascript, but CSS and HTML too, if you want.
Thanks so much I will definitely try this.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 07:04:52 AM »

All code is evil, no favourite languages, etc.

Application level:
I spend most of my time writing "C with classes" C++, with some C in there too. Can't beat them for tooling and speed.

Game level:
Just about any scripting language will get the job done, though I'm warming up to the advantages of writing game code as systems instead of "per object" scripts, finding that the code ends up more or less the same but runs quite a bit faster. With C++ it also helps keep compile times down since you're encouraged to untangle dependencies wherever possible to keep code clean.

General:
Strongly dislike the direction C# pulls you in and the fact that LINQ is considered the nicest way to do anything (probably cause the interfaces to everything are inconsistently named and sit somewhere on the spectrum between okay to suck), dislike the way duck typing works in lua, ruby, javascript, python etc but it's workable, not a fan of heavy OO or checked exceptions.
Generally pretty skeptical of any new languages touted as nice/simple as they tend to use wacky syntax, run slow and have poor tool support.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:29 PM »

Favourite Language Ever: PHP

Favourite Language to make tools and faff about with: C#.NET

Favourite Surprise: Objective-C (I thought I'd hate everything about this language. I was dead wrong)

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

Depends, I don't really have a favorite language...

Browser: Java, Javascript
Web: PHP
Desktop: C++, C, C#
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 07:00:22 AM »

I strongly dislike pythons everything-in-the-same-file thing and i find the syntax for classes to be to verbose.

What everything-in-same-file thing are you referring to?
Might be me but i never understood  how you should split up your code in different modules and i never found any "good" ansvers on the web.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »

Either C# or Haxe. I like C# because I think they have struck a perfect balance between Performance and Usability/flexibility. I like Haxe mostly due to its compile to anything ability, but it is also a pretty well designed language.

Think happy thoughts.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »

Either C# or Haxe. I like C# because I think they have struck a perfect balance between Performance and Usability/flexibility. I like Haxe mostly due to its compile to anything ability, but it is also a pretty well designed language.

Haxe reminds me like if PHP and Java jumped into bed together and made a bastard child from their one night stand.

How is the entire pipeline? Easy to setup? Easy to use?

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 08:19:18 AM »

Haxe reminds me like if PHP and Java jumped into bed together and made a bastard child from their one night stand.

As easy as there is any reasonable expectation of. Of course anything that can compile to multiple languages is going to be a bit finicky but the tools available make set-up fairly smooth.
In terms of the language itself though it is actually most similar to AS3. As in it is almost exactly the same.

Think happy thoughts.
dirak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 08:31:41 AM »

I strongly dislike pythons everything-in-the-same-file thing and i find the syntax for classes to be to verbose.

Might be me but i never understood  how you should split up your code in different modules and i never found any "good" ansvers on the web.

my camera class is in it's own file, camera.py
Code:
class Camera:
def __init__(self, carrier, (camera_width, camera_height), fov):
self.width = camera_width
self.height = camera_height
self.FOV = fov
then I just say import camera.py to access the class Camera like:
Code:
import camera
the_camera = camera.Camera(camera_guy, (w, h/2), 60)

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »

As easy as there is any reasonable expectation of. Of course anything that can compile to multiple languages is going to be a bit finicky but the tools available make set-up fairly smooth.
In terms of the language itself though it is actually most similar to AS3. As in it is almost exactly the same.

oh interesting! I didn't even get the actionscript vibe from the couple little examples I saw. Maybe I should look into this then.. me and Actionscript have a very long and storied history together..

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »

my camera class is in it's own file, camera.py
Code:
class Camera:
def __init__(self, carrier, (camera_width, camera_height), fov):
self.width = camera_width
self.height = camera_height
self.FOV = fov
then I just say import camera.py to access the class Camera like:
Code:
import camera
the_camera = camera.Camera(camera_guy, (w, h/2), 60)

Ya, Py's "Module Based" so to speak, import the components that you want to use. Storing code in multiple files has probably never been easier in both concept and implementation than in Python

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »

oh interesting! I didn't even get the actionscript vibe from the couple little examples I saw. Maybe I should look into this then.. me and Actionscript have a very long and storied history together..

It's basically actionscript but with a lot of the stuff that sucks about actionscript fixed. I hate going back to as3 from haxe now.

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:22 AM »

What InfiniteStateMachine said. I never want to touch AS3 again in my life.

Think happy thoughts.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 09:06:28 AM »

I've really been enjoying C#.  As s_I_m said, it strikes a good balance.  It's like a cross between C++ and Java where it took the strengths of both.  It just seems like a language designed with the user in mind.

In terms of really cool shit able to be done with it, I'm a huge fan of Clingo, which is an Answer Set Programming language, but it really is only usable in a small set of problem domains.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

I'm doomed to forever be "That Flash Guy" in my professional circles. I tend to use Flash Builder too. haha oh man... *takes a drink from a flask* you saw nothing...

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »

I'm doomed to forever be "That Flash Guy" in my professional circles. I tend to use Flash Builder too. haha oh man... *takes a drink from a flask* you saw nothing...

You poor son of a bitch. Haxe can compile to Flash, maybe you should just switch and not tell anyone?

Think happy thoughts.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »

You poor son of a bitch. Haxe can compile to Flash, maybe you should just switch and not tell anyone?

[insert best Jim Carey impression here]
REEEEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLlllyyyyyyyyyyy.........................................

Toast Right

*bookmarks*

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic