Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:45:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsProgrammer needed to make Random Word Generator for Game Devs [Easy stuff]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programmer needed to make Random Word Generator for Game Devs [Easy stuff]  (Read 1272 times)
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »

So I have this creative exercise that I kind of developed from a design lesson I learned
from an art school where you combine three words together after randomly writing down three columns of text.
I find this to be a fun way to go about new design ideas and come out with outcomes you wouldn't expect.

The problem is that I wanted to have this to be a little more structured so it could be even more
random than in written form. So my thought was what if there was a program where you could input
as many words of your choice into a word bank and then have three words randomly selected from the
word bank for a word combination you probably would of never of thought of. I believe this would
be an extremely helpful tool over a regular random word generator because most of the ones I've
seen online are filtered in some way for kids. Additionally I have a Mac, so any windows programs
wouldn't work unless I used a windows boot camp (which I rather not).

So I suppose I'm wondering if anyone would be up for making a random word generator for game making
purposes (really it could be used for any kind of creative project). I'm fairly certain this would
be a piece of cake for a lot of you considering that there seems to be more variables in making a
game. Again, a mac version would be preferable, but if you can do mac & pc version that would be
extremely awesome!

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »

I bet there are already a handful of such apps on mobile!

iOS & Android developer
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:18:46 PM »

I bet there are already a handful of such apps on mobile!

True, but documenting them on the computer where you store most of the information you have for a project would be nicer. An app would be better if you were on the go, and as much as I enjoy being able to work while on the go, working from my desk is much better for me. Not to mention the random word generator app probably wont have "space marines", "Zerglings", "Pistol Whip", Office Building", "Warp Tunnel", etc. I also doubt I would be able to get, say, "Cat girl / pancakes / lumber jack "  unless I had a data base that I inputted those terms in.

This is why I'm just proposing the idea at the moment, and hoping someone would be willing to give it a try. I honestly think this would be relatively easy programming for a programmer and could be a useful tool for everyone on here. Heck, someone could even make a game jam out of it.

Be original, be creative, be fresh, be righteous, be yourself and let no one stop you!

EasterlyArt Facebook
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:55:42 AM »

here's a python script that does what you want: http://a.pomf.se/mzwqbd.zip
extract it somewhere, then (I'm not a mac person, so idk the details) I read you should be able to launch it via terminal by typing in "python WordMixer.py". specify the number of columns and the number of wanted answers as arguments, e.g., "python WordMixer.py 3 10", will read 3 column files (saved as c0.txt, c1.txt, c2.txt, ..., c1245.txt etc), and provide 10 word salad answers. 3 example columns are included, you can open them to see what's expected from them (hint: nothing much).

edit: I updated the link to a more friendly version. this one will work without commandline arguments, so you can just launch from terminal with "python WordMixer.py", then it will inquire for number of columns to read, answers and an optional output filename, if you wish to save the results. commandline still works, and it also takes in an optional filename directly, so you can do "python WordMixer.py 20 600 somanywords.txt", and it'll work as well.

hadn't touched python in a year, damn, I had forgotten how fast & easy it is for little things like this.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:23:54 AM by dancing_dead » Logged
EasterlyArt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:30 AM »

here's a python script that does what you want(...)

Having trouble making it work, but that could be me not understanding python. I do appreciate you taking the time to work on this.

EasterlyArt Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic