Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 05:15:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow to write a 48-hour game in 2 years
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to write a 48-hour game in 2 years  (Read 1158 times)
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:29:16 AM »

Hi - I wrote a blog post a while ago about the highs and lows of making a game in your spare time:

http://pixelated.postagon.com/5g437329d

It seemed to hit a chord with a lot of people when I first put it out there, so I thought I'd link from it here too in case someone can take some comfort from my experience.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:36:29 AM by joeyspacerocks » Logged

Gwartney21
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »

I have to say that it was a really good article to read.
I think any one who has done any thing with a personal projects even me at some point  along the line whether it be in game programming, or any project in general, has failed to get the project off the ground.
I think if more people were to follow more along the guide lines specified in the article in my opinion it can really help out a lot to get your projects finished.
Thanks for posting this.
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:34 AM »

Thanks - I'm glad you liked it. I've come to realise that there's a lot of people in the same situation (and not just aspiring game devs).

Funnily enough I'm now going through exactly the same thing on my next game and trying hard to follow my own advice ... Smiley

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:23:36 AM »

Despite hyou don't show anything new, because we all know about feature creep, overambitious projects and time/life constraints, I liked how you described your case.

Yeah.
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »

Nice read although a little short for my taste. I would like to have seen a bit more personal introspection. 

The exploration (especially more in the concluding area) about differences between a day-time developer of a enterprise application and patterns/practices that were successful to make a small indie game that really got you on track at the end would have been a great area to flesh out a lot more with your thoughts rather than just bullet items of what you did possibly?

Infernohawke Entertainment
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »

Thanks for the feedback - yes, point taken.

The plan was to write some follow-up entries as a retrospective of the development (a reverse dev log), so expanding on these might be a good topic for another entry.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic