Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:15:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProxy-Drone : Mobile Space Shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Proxy-Drone : Mobile Space Shooter  (Read 1090 times)
Tokkencraft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:20 PM »

Proxy-Drone's my first foray into independently developing my own full game. It's a simple space shooter with light SHMUP and RPG elements.

This is being made in Unity3D currently planned for iOS but possibly for other platforms. It's been in development on and off for a few months but after a recent move to San Francisco I am currently afforded the time to work on this nearly full time!

With the development previously done in spurts, many of the features have never been locked down so I'm hoping to keep a log of it's development and nail down the final feature set and actually make actual art!
Melon Mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:11:37 PM »

Looking good. Looks like you are targeting iPhone / iPod Touch given the dimensions of the screenshots. Any thoughts about iPad, and if so, do you plan on changing any of the game mechanics to suit a larger screen?
Tokkencraft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »

Thanks! Right now I'm focusing on a iPhone / iTouch release. Currently, I'm more interested in actually releasing something and iPad support would just push this out. Seeing as it's my first commercial release I'm focusing on making sure this becomes an actual product and not just vaporware. Perhaps if more than just my family play it, iPad could happen.
Tokkencraft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »

Made some short animated gifs of the current main menu screen:

Here's some short gameplay, showing the 3 different weapons of the main gun, missiles, and laser:

and finally the in-game menu for purchasing upgrades:
Tokkencraft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »

Created a new asteroid debris model cause I was tired of just using cubes. Then futzed with colors and chromatic aberration in the menu. Trying to find a palette that I like. I'm fond of the desaturated navy and amber mix giving everything a slight green look.

I like the weirdly geometric nature of the asteroid. I kinda wanted to go with kinda simple shapes in the game as I kinda liked all my FPO stuffs. Maybe this will lead me to the style.
Melon Mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »

Very tasteful use of effects and a nice interface too. Has the feel of a sci-fi arcade game, with a nod to flat design.

The only think I'm wondering about is how you are balancing the limited screen space. Some of the text is very small. I don't know how it'll look on the iPhone screen but it seems tiny even on my monitor, which is showing the image at much larger scale to begin with. Still readable, but borderline.
Tokkencraft
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 09:10:27 AM »

Thanks! The text is indeed a bit small and thin on the phone, though it's actually much more legible than I was expecting (using Skala Preview to design right on the phone).

That being said, the upgrade interface is going to be going through an overhaul as I am changing the way you upgrade your ship. It'll be more research / skill tree. How it works now is just clicking a single "upgrade weapon" button and it changes a lot of different factors about the weapon. The skill tree will allow for a more granular approach to upgrading, affording more choice for the user.

This is a super super rough test mockup of what the upgrade tree could be (for the missile).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic