Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:35:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow much does Steam charge to get codes for your game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How much does Steam charge to get codes for your game?  (Read 4599 times)
AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:16:05 AM »

The subject is pretty much self-explanatory. I've searched all around and can't find anyone that has answered this question. I'm planning a KS, so I'd like to know what the cost of requesting a Steam key is to add it to my budget. I'd guess it's basically the 30% steam cut per key, but I want to know for sure from someone that has already tried it.

Thanks!

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:26:25 AM »

The subject is pretty much self-explanatory. I've searched all around and can't find anyone that has answered this question. I'm planning a KS, so I'd like to know what the cost of requesting a Steam key is to add it to my budget. I'd guess it's basically the 30% steam cut per key, but I want to know for sure from someone that has already tried it.

Thanks!

I don't know for sure but making some educated guesses based off of things like Humble Bundle and purchasing from GameStop

- you can buy a game at GameStop (of which Steam got no cut of)and then activate the Key on steam and never pop the physical disk in your computer

- you can buy a game on Humble Bundle for $1 (or often even 3 games) and the slider there does not say *any* of that money goes to Steam

So my guess is:

The biggest hurdle is getting your game on steam at all.  Once steam agrees to host your game, my guess is they want your customers (and indeed ALL customers) to think of steam as the place to store all their games.  So they allow those external purchases to activate in steam for free (to you the developer and the customer) because they care more about gaining a new customer than they do the 30% fee for that one game.

I could be wrong though Smiley

Infernohawke Entertainment
Chuckek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »

If my game is accepted through Steam Greenlight, can I give my previous customers keys for the Steam version?
Once your game is accepted for distribution on Steam, we will give you as many keys for your game as you want at no cost.

From Steam Greenlight FAQ. But yeah, someone who knows this firsthand could still confirm it.
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »

As far as I'm aware you're allowed as many as you want to give to KS backers, press, friends, your beta testers etc... it's up to you... Steam take a only a cut of games bought through their stores, you can then also sell keys for your steam work game at other stores etc like desura but it's the store who takes the cut not steam...

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »

That's awesome. I read the whole Greenlight page a few months ago, but since then, someone mentioned that Steam might as for a cut when asking for keys and then I wasn't sure. Will probably read the GL page all over again now.

Thanks guys! Steam is awesome btw xD

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »

Steam is far from awesome, but yeah, you can generate as many keys as you want Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Uykered
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »

I don't think there's any service that charges for generating keys.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »

ya pretty sure it's free. that's what i heard from everyone, everywhere. as a side note i remember mr. podunkian calling me an idiot for promising keys for previous buyers of my game after it gets on steam even tho i heard it's free, he was like you can't promise that there's no way it'll be free, don't promise that you idiot, but thankfully i didn't listen to him

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 07:36:12 PM »

I don't think there's any service that charges for generating keys.
afaik Apple's App Store only lets you give out like 100 promo codes per version of the game; beyond that you need to pay apple to gift copies of your own game.

ya pretty sure it's free.
I'm surprised you don't know firsthand, since you have a greenlit game now ...

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:13:12 PM »

ya but the game isn't on sale yet, doesn't have a store page, etc., i haven't even looked into getting keys yet

Uykered
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 12:35:06 AM »

There's a page you type how many keys you want, then when you come back later they'll have a txt file available. I haven't checked if you can give them out before you have a build yet, the steam build stuff is too confusing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:41:13 AM by alastair » Logged
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 12:14:15 AM »

Steam key are free which is great.
And you can send some before your game is released (to journalist). Thisd is special key that unlock the game event if it's not available in the store.
When you ask for keys, you will need steam approval (but they do it quickly).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic