Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:25:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[FREE DEMO] GunBlocks - combines tetrominos and bullets
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [FREE DEMO] GunBlocks - combines tetrominos and bullets  (Read 5118 times)
CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »

GunBlocks is a round-based platform adventure set on a mysterious blocky planet. Thanks to your incompetent team, a gluttony captain and his little stinky pet, your ship crashed and now you have to find a way to repair it. The task is not easy since an ancient force is guarding the planet. To win, you have to wisely manipulate your surrounding by placing or destroying blocks. But don't worry! You're a freaking gun and you can shoot! And even better, an over-friendly Super-Computer with a short-circuit in his emotional chip, will help you on your journey. This fabulous adventure will be available on PC, Mac, and iOS/Android Tablets.

16th Jul 2014 - Hello there! We're only few days here at tigsource, but we love it already! We received already lot of valuable feedback here. Thank you very much!

Let me introduce you...

The gun at the bottom is the Rookie. He's basically the gun doing all the job, being pushed around by the commander and captain. For example, when everyone has a drone to fly through the level, he's the guy which has to walk. His favorite quote is: "Worst day ever!"

The gun right to the Rookie is the gluttony Captain of the ship. He has only one thing on his mind: Eating his beloved mustard-mint flavor chips. He would even let his pet pig fly the ship just to take a walk and get a new bag from the back of the ship (That's actually the reason that the ship crashed). Favorite quote: "Where are my chips?"

The gun to the left of Rookie is the Commander, Captain's right hand. He's the one trying to keep the ship running, but at the end his main task is to repair the damage the captain and his pet are producing all the time. When it comes to doing the job, he delegates everything to the Rookie. His favorite quote is: "You managed to do this? What a surprise!"

The friendly looking blue box, floating above the characters is ship's over-friendly super computer. He's following every one of Rookie's steps. Rookie thinks that he has some serious short-circuits in his brain.

There are more characters in the screenshot, but they are still work in progress. We'll see how they will develop in the future.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:15:16 AM by CookieEngine » Logged

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »

A quick experiment with PS Vita. Unity3D we love you, yes we do!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:26:56 AM by CookieEngine » Logged

Citsua
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »

I already love those characters, especially the rookie and the over-friendly computer.
Hope you port the game on WiiU too Grin !

It'd be better if the gif was a bit slower though, I can't read what the computer is saying Sad
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »

I saw on the PlayTesting forum that your game is really fun.  I'm going to try it out eventually, I just keep forgetting. 

joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 01:28:19 AM »

Love the pixels - looks like a fun concept

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 06:49:53 AM »

Looks like an extremely interesting mechanic! How long did it take to port to vita and were there any issues with resolution?

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »

@JcttWood: Thanks to Unity3D ist was very easy to make a PS Vita build. However, there are still some issues with the rendering, which has to be cleared. Mostly related to UV coordinates.

@joeyspacerocks: thank you very much!

@tieTYT: consider this as a reminder. :-))

@Citsua:  Hehe, Rookie and the computer are the main protagonists so far. We'll see more of them soon.
About porting to WiiU: Unity3D supports WiiU too, however, we would need WiiU DevKits first. I guess this will take some time, but it will come one day. ;-) Currently we're focusing on Steam/PC/Mac.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:56:45 AM by CookieEngine » Logged

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »

@tieTYT: consider this as as reminder. :-))

I just reviewed it in your playtesting thread. 

vinterberg
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »

This reminds me of Fez, mixed with Portal :D

I totally dig that sun!!!!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »

Today someone made a cool fan artwork for GunBlocks.
It really made our day. Thank you Leonie YueToast Right

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »

Some YouTubers made a gameplay video of the game.
Very interesting to see the first expression and to hear how they synchronized the characters.

Indie First Look: Gunblocks [pre-alpha] by slothcraft

Let's Try Gunblocks (Pre-Alpha Demo) by BendyPenguin64
http://youtu.be/myh1R6S97uY?t=1m15s

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

Nice, it's pretty cool that non-devs are looking at your game.  Did you go to them or did they find it on their own?

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »

We connected somehow on Twitter, then we explicitly triggered them, asking if broadcasting about GunBlocks would fit their YT chan.

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »

Just designed a teaser for the print (10x10cm, front- and back-side).
Planed to do some guerrilla marketing at the Gamescom.

Let's hope it's an eye-catcher.
If someone wishes to spread the word and post this on his FB or Twitter, I will be like this:   Toast RightToast Left

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:47:33 AM by CookieEngine » Logged

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 12:32:38 PM »

Steve and Lisa were spreading some GunBlocks flyers on Gamescom at Cologne. They really put it everywhere. True guerrillas.

Mario tried to sabotage the action. Nice try Mario, but your butt is not big enough to hide them all. ;-p

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 02:42:06 AM »

I really liked the demo. There is everything I like : fun gameplay, great pixel art, funny dialogs...  Grin
Just some minor remarks:
I found using up/down not intuitive for moving the bullet aim. I found myself trying to use left-right most of the time (it's maybe just me  Wink )
Sometimes, I was not able to move the bullet aim. Pressing any of the arrow didn't changed anything.
It could be interesting to either be able to chose the order of the falling blocks or be able to discard a block we don't need.

Very good work, keep on. This game is refreshing...

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »

@bombjack
Thanks a lot for your nice feedback!! Good to know that we are on the right track Smiley

The reason why we’re using up/down is that we need left/right for switching between characters in the upcoming levels. But this part is not set in stone, so we’ll see…

You can only aim when you’re in the aiming mode/turn, which is not really visible except a black flickering crosshair on your gun. We might need more accentuation for this.

Regarding the discard idea, something like this will also come in the next levels. A second inventory will be introduced where you can save down falling blocks. We’ll post something about it very soon.

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »

It's been long time (120 days to be exact) since the last update. We've been rather quite recently, but it doesn't mean that we didn't work hard on GunBlocks. We'll be presenting more soon, but so far the new GunBlocks wallpaper. Also available as ZIP Download for different aspect ratios.

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »

Hi fellows,

It’s been a long time since the last post! Time goes fast and as the project is mostly done in my spare time, it’s hard to set an own schedule to keep track of.

However, the demo from 2014 has made the step from pre-alpha to alpha! :D
It’s much longer now and has undergone many changes. Even the sound effects are mostly placeholder, I would like to gather feedback from you guys!

It would be super nice if you play the new version again and let me know what you think. There’s a built-in feedback/report tool from unity which you can use. Otherwise leave a comment here or join our discord server: https://discord.com/invite/HCKKv9Y

After the prologue/demo is polished, we’ll focus on chapter 1 which hopefully will be ready next year.

And now help the BallEx crew to survive their adventure Smiley

http://www.gunblocks.com/build/GunBlocks-Prologue-alpha-v0.8.18.zip

CookieEngine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »

Here I wrote a bit about the current status and the history of GunBlocks

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1349680/view/2882823483800017534

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic